Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2008, 02:12 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those damn photo driving licences

Anybody else object to them.

*rant mode*
I've just moved, now I'm being forced to have 1 with a £17.50 bill every 10 years or whatever they decide to charge.

And its not even the licence, thats still a bit of paper that comes with the photocard.

Plus I paid for my current 1, when I first got it..

*rant mode off*
Old 08 October 2008, 02:30 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Was only talking about this yesterday, aparently I heard on the radio a couple of weeks ago people are now driving with expired driving licenses. They license is not valid if youve not renewed your photo from my understanding. I also heard you dont get a reminder of the DVLA.
Old 08 October 2008, 02:35 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

It says on the license when it expires.

An even if you can't read, surely people realise that a photo can only be valid for so long

I mean you dont get people acting with sort out outrage when they realise thier passport has run out and noone has told them.
Old 08 October 2008, 02:39 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

No Pete, but when people go on holiday they instinctly think is my passport valid. Do you think about your driving license every morning when you get in your car? I bet its really easy to forgot that youve had the photo license 10 years
Old 08 October 2008, 02:41 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
No Pete, but when people go on holiday they instinctly think is my passport valid. Do you think about your driving license every morning when you get in your car? I bet its really easy to forgot that youve had the photo license 10 years
Yeah fair point - I just know its valid for 10 years, its sort burned into my memory.

But that could be due to having had to send it off to Her Majesties Revenue & Customs every few months
Old 08 October 2008, 02:47 PM
Speech
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
No, but when I got my letter in from the DVLA the other month reminding me that my licence needed renewal this month I thought "Hmm, better do that". They even provided all the forms and information documents relating to it so I didn't have to bother downloading anything or going to the Post Office!
Still haven't got round to it though!!!

Don't get a reminder about your passport do you?? And I know of plenty people who don't check their passport until it's almost too late, mate of mine once had to take a trip down to Durham or somewhere (from Aberdeen!!) to get his renewed and pick it up as he was due to go away the following day! Idiot!

Last edited by Speech; 08 October 2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08 October 2008, 02:48 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Whats wrong with the paper ones?

Mines been fine until now, only need to get the address updated. I don't need another form of ID with a bloody photo on it.

Bloody steath tax.
Old 08 October 2008, 02:50 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Hmm thats not so bad if they are reminding you of the renewal. I heard about all this a few weeks back on the radio and they reported DVLA not sending reminders.
Old 08 October 2008, 02:55 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Whats wrong with the paper ones?

Well,when I did used to get mine out itwas like an an ancient document that could have been destroyed by the slightest sneeze and needed handling with tweezers

Plastic ones are nice and compact and robust although I agree.I never think about my driving licence from one day to the next
Old 08 October 2008, 03:04 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You still need the paper licence to rent a car though LOL

Shaun
Old 08 October 2008, 03:08 PM
Speech
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
You still need the paper licence to rent a car though LOL

Shaun
Depends where you are!
When we were in Cyprus we rented a car and I had both the paper part and photocard, the rep said she didn't need the paper part and that it was only the photocard that she needed!
Old 08 October 2008, 03:14 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I rented a car about 4 months back from Enterprise and they didnt want my paper license.
Old 08 October 2008, 03:34 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

In Norn Iron we've had photo driving licenses for more than 20 years, that reminds me I must renew mine next month.
Old 08 October 2008, 08:44 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a nice colour photo on my first photocard license.
when I renewed a few months ago, the new came back in black and white. God how times must be hard down at the DVLA
Old 08 October 2008, 09:02 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Speech
...... mate of mine once had to take a trip down to Durham or somewhere (from Aberdeen!!) to get his renewed and pick it up as he was due to go away the following day! Idiot!
Who are you?!

I had to do a midnight run from Aberdeen to Durham to get an emergency passport renewal a few years back. The nearest office was Glasgow but they had no appointments for the next day, so I had to go to Durham.
I was driving down to Dover, so it wasnt TOO far out the way, but it meant a much earlier start than I had planned.
Old 08 October 2008, 11:33 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

When they introduced them over here, they set the expiry date to your next decade birthday, 20,30,40 whatever, and they do the same with new licences when you pass your test. Whenever I've hired a car I've always had to produce the paper part. Maybe it's because I'm foreign
Old 09 October 2008, 03:15 PM
Speech
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
Who are you?!

I had to do a midnight run from Aberdeen to Durham to get an emergency passport renewal a few years back. The nearest office was Glasgow but they had no appointments for the next day, so I had to go to Durham.
I was driving down to Dover, so it wasnt TOO far out the way, but it meant a much earlier start than I had planned.

Don't think it was you I was referring to, last time I checked the man in question has never owned a scooby and doesn't live in France! Plus it was a down and back as my brother went with him as a road trip!!
Same story though, Glasgow didn't have any appointments available so he had to go to Durham! Makes you wonder what they are up to in Glasgow if that's happened twice now!