Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

whats best for loosing fat

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2008, 12:29 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default whats best for loosing fat

as above,im trying to loose some belly fat. im currently going to the gym but i just wondered which was best for burning fat..bike? running machine? cross trainer? rower? is anyone better than the other or is a combination best

thanks
Old 03 October 2008, 12:30 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go swimming, cheaper and more effective
Old 03 October 2008, 12:32 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Any of the above really - I was going to say swimming too.

Low fat diet helps too.
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

+1 for swimming also jogging with speed bursts in between
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

cool, well i pay monthly at the gym which lets me go swimming in the price so ill have to start going me thinks
Old 03 October 2008, 12:34 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do 45mins 5days week on the crosstrainer first thing in the morning. have a cup of coffee just before

Last edited by ChristianR; 03 October 2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03 October 2008, 12:37 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

as christian says do some cardio first thing (coffee is good for the quick energy fix to enable you to do it) if your doing treadmill work do say 2 mins at a steady pace, 1 min at near max pace and then repeat this about 4 times (thats all it needs) that will kick start your body for the day and you will burn like mad

obviously it doesnt mean you can then have a massive fry up for breakfast and a chippy lunch
Old 03 October 2008, 12:38 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Loosing

The best way to lose fat doesn't even break sweat, go for a long walk of around 8miles 3 or 4 times a week. Aim for completing it in under 2hrs time and you will more than likely be in the fat burning zone for the majority of it.

Any CV work in the gym normally goes beyond the fat burning zone and into CV.

I was doing this before the summer, just to lose a few extra pounds i had put on from the previous xmas. Lost 12lbs in 10 walks done over the space of 2wks.

Easy
Old 03 October 2008, 12:46 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

<Snazy>
Lighterlife
</Snazy>

Old 03 October 2008, 01:00 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

I've successfully gone from 21% down to 16% bodyfat (Measured professionally using calipers.) and increased lean muscle significantly.

My proven tips:

I weight train 3 times a week - properly
Cardio 0-2 times a week (on seperate days to weight training)
Eat little and often - no massive evening meals, especially at night. I eat about 6-7meals/snacks per day.
Eat little carbs past lunch time, forget pasta for an evening meal!
Consume my Essential Fatty Acids, specifically Omega 3/6/9
Daily vitamin tablets
Eat enormous amounts of protein to feed my muscle growth, the equivilant to 6 chicken breasts per day
Eat plenty of fruit and veg
Consume about 2k calories per day (i'm 5'7" and 74 kgs)
I'm never hungry, i snack as part of my meal plan, but snack on healthy stuff, like nuts/seads/fruit etc.
Don't get too carried away with low fat stuff, you need to consume a certain amount of fat
There is lots of excellent advice/aticles over at muscletalk.co.uk, even about weight loss in general

Sean

Last edited by rb5_336; 03 October 2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03 October 2008, 01:10 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
Loosing
It took til the 8th post.
Old 03 October 2008, 01:12 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Most cardio is a very bad way to burn fat. Weight training and HIIT are much better. Neither works without a good diet. Eat loads of vegetables moderate carbs and the right amount of protein to match your weight training.
Old 03 October 2008, 01:23 PM
d5hof
Scooby Regular

One of the biggest factor is meal, have minimum of four small healthy meals per day, avoid junk food and also include fish in your diet and drink sufficient amount of water.

Walking is much better than running when it comes to losing weight and if you are going to them gym then more reps and lighter weights is the best way to go.

Don't forget you're goal and observe patience...

Good luck...

The quickest way to lose weight however is to find a bird get her pregnant and then get your missus to find out via someone else...the rest is history

Shof
Old 03 October 2008, 01:33 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Most cardio is a very bad way to burn fat. .
what is that opinion based on? I have always been under the impression that cardio is the best way (assuming done correctly ie working the correct heart rates zones etc)
Old 03 October 2008, 01:39 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Loads of articles about this, but in short steady state cardio uses up too few calories and only burns calories while you are exercising. In order to lose weight this way you have to literally put you body into starvation so it uses up more calories than you ingest. By using weight training combined with HIIT you can eat more to supply energy to your muscles which grow and get bigger meaning that you burn even more fat while sitting still. HIIT training also encourages your body to run at a higher metabolism all day, not just burn extra during your training period.
Old 03 October 2008, 01:41 PM
jacrobat
Scooby Regular

HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is also best first thing in the morning when you are in a 'fasted' state
Old 03 October 2008, 01:42 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Eating fewer pies. You dont need to eat to train when youre already overweight.
Old 03 October 2008, 01:46 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Not sitting on Scoobynet asking for diet tips helps.

I am doing about 70 miles a week commuting on my bike, I am having to eat loads to maintain my podge, if I didnt eat more I would waste away to 15 stone. Getting a Dog soon so will hopefully add a couple of miles walking a day, our old dog used to be like an insistent personal trainer, at 9pm she would parade up and down in front of me and look at me then the door, she stopped walking when she got old and blind and i put two stone on over 2 years.
Old 03 October 2008, 03:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Eat less, drink less alcohol, and do some exercise.

Les
Old 03 October 2008, 04:48 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

i've gone from Bud to Bud Lite
i expect results to take a while to show though
Old 03 October 2008, 05:28 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Powerman, I'm in a similar boat to you. I wanna lose some of my gut I've acured since being off work nearly 6 months ago. Must have moved up 3 inches on my waste and about 2 st. in that time. I'm disgusted when I look in the mirror. Lack of physical activity has done it to me.

I'm going to start doing some sit up's and things like that.

I'm a little limted though to what I can do. I'd love to join a gym, but any equipment that involves using my hands is out thanks to my wrist, and running is problematic due to my asthma...

Used to love going for a jog early in a morning, nice and fresh and a hot bath afterwards. Now if I bloody try, all I do is cough and splutter when I get it and bring phlem up from my chest.

Sorry to hijack, but are sit up's a good option, along with twist movements and plenty of walking? Me and Nat discussed going for good walks, but for what I've got to do to drop lb's it's a lands end to John o'Groats
Old 03 October 2008, 05:32 PM
xdave
Scooby Regular

this may sound silly but do you eat enough ? and at the right times ?
as somebody said earlyer , cardio first thing , before breakfast .
whats your diet like ? when do you eat ?
Old 03 October 2008, 07:41 PM
DJ_Vinyl_Ritchie
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Powerman, I'm in a similar boat to you. I wanna lose some of my gut I've acured since being off work nearly 6 months ago. Must have moved up 3 inches on my waste and about 2 st. in that time. I'm disgusted when I look in the mirror. Lack of physical activity has done it to me.

I'm a little limted though to what I can do. I'd love to join a gym, but any equipment that involves using my hands is out thanks to my wrist, and running is problematic due to my asthma...

Used to love going for a jog early in a morning, nice and fresh and a hot bath afterwards. Now if I bloody try, all I do is cough and splutter when I get it and bring phlem up from my chest.

Sorry to hijack, but are sit up's a good option, along with twist movements and plenty of walking? Me and Nat discussed going for good walks, but for what I've got to do to drop lb's it's a lands end to John o'Groats
Dangerous Bri, you hermaphradite stop being a plum son!

Don't waste your time on situps. That wont shift the lard.

A combination of cardio and weights will do the trick. Diet is the KEY, coupled with a supply of l-carnitine.

DJ_Vinyl_Ritchie........it takes much effort to have the body of an adonis at 6ft 10. But holy pearl necklace haven't I just
Old 03 October 2008, 08:01 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerwrx
as above,im trying to loose some belly fat. im currently going to the gym but i just wondered which was best for burning fat..bike? running machine? cross trainer? rower? is anyone better than the other or is a combination best

thanks
Mix it up, to keep from getting bored! Anything is better than nothing, and don't try to lose too much at once.
And stop scoffing pies !
Old 03 October 2008, 08:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian

Re Asthma, mine has gone since I started cycling, it was only seasonal, sort of late summer wheeziness but I think Asthma like a lot of other ailments is due to inactivity, get your lungs working and things tend to get better, sit their eating pies in front of the telly (not pontificating, thats me), no exercise and then wonder why your lungs are furred up, we arent designed for the amount of food we eat and sedentary lifestyles we have.
Old 03 October 2008, 08:28 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Re Asthma, mine has gone since I started cycling, it was only seasonal, sort of late summer wheeziness but I think Asthma like a lot of other ailments is due to inactivity, get your lungs working and things tend to get better, sit their eating pies in front of the telly (not pontificating, thats me), no exercise and then wonder why your lungs are furred up, we arent designed for the amount of food we eat and sedentary lifestyles we have.

Godd points, but the reason for my asthma was growing up in a smoking household. Finally after years of second hand smoke caught up with me. That's what docs/consultants said was 99% of the cause.

Funny thing was, before my asthma came on around 18, I played football, went running, and was doing a very physical job. At 18 I was the fittest I have ever been 6 pack etc, then a bout of pneumonia couploed with the asthma really limted me. I'm just an unlucky bastid My asthma usually flairs up around pollen time (May/June) or winter time.

Sorry to the o.p. for hijacking, I'll bugger off now
Old 03 October 2008, 09:45 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

chocolate o barry ... hijack away matey.. i hope some of the replys will help you too,i also suffer from mild asthma which usualy kicks into play when i go on the rower at the gym but i tend to stay off it and use sumthing else

as for my diet.. its usualy bases around chicken,tuna,potatoes veg etc ive left the chocolate,crisps,sweets alone since rejoining.

although my eating routine isnt as it should be due to me working shifts. i tend to eat at all different times