Well boys and girls. Im here. At uni

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2008, 01:37 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well boys and girls. Im here. At uni

So Then. Uni life has been adopted.

I have begun my degree in motorsport engineering. met a few people, mostly girls

its a little strange living away from home, and not having those luxuries like a washing machine and dishwasher, and a mother to take care of you but on the bright side, the on site uni student union bar is cheap. and by cheap i mean REALLY cheap. i bought a round tonight which consisted off 2 smirnoff ices, 1 shot of sambuca and a JD and coke. 8.40. You really can't complain.
Old 24 September 2008, 01:54 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
i bought a round tonight which consisted off 2 smirnoff ices, 1 shot of sambuca and a JD and coke. 8.40. You really can't complain.
I can! You didn't get me one

Old 24 September 2008, 02:14 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Lol. well yeah ok you can complain i rudely diddn't offer you one but either way, cheap drinks for me
Old 24 September 2008, 02:44 AM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Well, I'm a student. I got two bottles of wine for £9!! And that's in the centre of Edinburgh!

They were bought from the local Vicky wine on special and drunk in my flat.... Does that count?
Old 24 September 2008, 07:14 AM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

50p for a snake bite when i used to be one a few years ago.
Old 24 September 2008, 09:04 AM
trialsben
Scooby Newbie

Sorry to hijack this a bit, but............. I have the option of doing Mechanical & Automotive engineering at Uni, course sounds really good and I like the idea of a Uni lifestyle while I still Can , I'm just not sure if it worth it as I'm currently a Trainee Quantity Surveyor for a large building firm and If I stay where I am, I can get good money, company car, etc and keep up all my expensive hobbies!
Only problem is, I hate my job with a passion, Is Uni. worth the sacrifices and the big debt at the end or do you think I should just tough it out where I am?
I like the idea of Mechanical / Automotive engineering but I don't want to end up in a worse position than I am now

Any opinions or ideas would be very welcome as this is causing me some real grief at the moment.

Thanks
Old 24 September 2008, 09:26 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Trainee QS ? I'm surprised you're still employed with the state of the construction industry at the moment !!
Old 24 September 2008, 10:49 AM
New_scooby_04

I have begun my degree in motorsport engineering. met a few people, mostly girls

i bought a round tonight which consisted off 2 smirnoff ices.
If that wasn't for the ladies then I only have one thing to say to you:

Gayer!

Enjoy Uni mate! Have fun, but take the first year seriously, as it'll make the subsequent two years much easier!

Wouldn't be at the Uni of Herts would you?

Ns04
Old 24 September 2008, 11:02 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trialsben
Only problem is, I hate my job with a passion
Get out, then. Seriously. Life's too short to spend it miserable.

If you can get a job you prefer without having to go to university first then that might be a good bet - as you point out, you'll emerge with a degree and a debt to pay off, and you might well find yourself in a worse position than if you'd taken a junior position at an engineering company.

Of course, having a degree might be a prerequisite for the jobs you want, in which case you may not have much choice. But you'll learn relevant stuff much more quickly on the job than you would on a degree course, and once you've had your first job in the industry, your experience is likely to be of greater interest to potential employers than your academic qualifications.

I'm in electronics myself, but I've forgotten most of the stuff I did at uni; sadly it took an MEng after my name to get my first proper job.
Old 24 September 2008, 12:39 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

its a little strange living away from home, and not having those luxuries like a washing machine and dishwasher, and a mother to take care of you but on the bright side, the on site uni student union bar is cheap. and by cheap i mean REALLY cheap. i bought a round tonight which consisted off 2 smirnoff ices, 1 shot of sambuca and a JD and coke. 8.40. You really can't complain.
Best of luck-make the most of it.

Les
Old 24 September 2008, 01:03 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Wouldn't be at the Uni of Herts would you?

Ns04

If he is I feel sorry for him!! I went there, and the bar may be cheap, but its a sh1te hole.

Though I must admit I enjoyed my time there.....
Old 24 September 2008, 01:18 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Simon C
If he is I feel sorry for him!! I went there, and the bar may be cheap, but its a sh1te hole.

Though I must admit I enjoyed my time there.....
I ask because I remember there being a good engineering degree there and an in house motorsport development division that produced it's own single seat racing car.

I did my PhD at Herts. Hatfield is a s*ithole (highlight of the place is the refurbished ASDAs) It's obvious that the place was left to deterioriate after Dehavilland packed up. However, the university has really been instrumental in the redevelopment of the area.... it'a beacon in a sea of poo! lol

You think the locals would be grateful for the students wouldn't you?

Like you, I had a good experience there.

Ns04
Old 24 September 2008, 01:58 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

trialsben - Quit and go to uni. I originally started working in the City at 18 for two years earning good money and I liked my job. But I wondered what I would miss out on and didn't want the chance to slip. Sure, I was worried about not earning the money but I got a job at uni and worked summers etc.

It was the best decision I've ever made. Had an awesome time (Exeter uni), have some cracking friends from it, and job was waiting when I graduated.

Subaruturbo_18 - What uni you at fella? Enjoy it and make sure you post pics up of conquests . £1 pints in my union bar back in 2001.
Old 24 September 2008, 04:51 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I ask because I remember there being a good engineering degree there and an in house motorsport development division that produced it's own single seat racing car.

I did my PhD at Herts. Hatfield is a s*ithole (highlight of the place is the refurbished ASDAs) It's obvious that the place was left to deterioriate after Dehavilland packed up. However, the university has really been instrumental in the redevelopment of the area.... it'a beacon in a sea of poo! lol

You think the locals would be grateful for the students wouldn't you?

Like you, I had a good experience there.

Ns04
They still do, some of the courses that got high reviews were phased out

That car is still raced as far as I am aware, the trophy still has pride of place in the cabinet and the display keeps changing.

Its 1 of the best places to study paramedic science apparently, know a few people who have done it / are now doing it.

When were you there? I was there 96 - 00, and dare I say it worked as NUS security in the bars.
Old 29 September 2008, 04:08 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

I'm at kingston uni. its not too bad a place, good night life in town etcetc, i was going to go to herts, but kingston was a bit closer to home(and the gf who i've now broken up with : ), and the motorsport division has a couple of lotus elise's, and a kit car to play with
Old 29 September 2008, 08:11 PM
JRFRACE
Scooby Regular

to the guy who has a good job and wonders about sacking it off to do an automotive degree just be careful, there are FAR more people doing these courses than there are jobs for them, i finished last year and the job prospects are poor unless you are very good at what they want you to do, even then you won't be earning much because of the nature of the industry.

The degrees in motorsport and in automotive engineering are all very interesting for us petrolheads, and you'll likely go to some cool places and see some cool stuff but its a very expensive way to have an interesting and fun few years, and the jobs on the other end are generally much less interesting than you would expect.

That said if you really do hate what you are doing, and are willing to work extremely hard to do the degree and get into the industry because that is your passion then go for it.

*re reading my post its a bit bleak, but i don't think these courses are honest enough about the industry before you get there, i remember talking to one of my main lecturers on the first day of my course back in 2003 and he said "you all have an opportunity here, but honestly we don't expect most of you to get anywhere"
Old 29 September 2008, 08:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good, now get some work done, dont want to see you on here until half term.
Old 29 September 2008, 09:12 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

LOL its a Uni of Herts reunion thread, but I went there when it was just a humble Hatfield poly
Old 29 September 2008, 09:23 PM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

To the OP - if you get the chance to do Formula Student do it Best 2 years of my life and made some great mates even if we were doing 100+ hr weeks... A few of them have some very nice jobs now

The other two years were just a lot of work. Enjoy it