Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Oil companies make no profit selling fuel..........

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2008, 09:38 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Oil companies make no profit selling fuel..........

.............of course they don't

That's why the price of oil has dropped quite a bit, but fuel at the pumps has barely moved...........in fact yesterday here I saw a RISE at one garage:mad;

Alcazar
Old 16 September 2008, 10:06 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Petrol companies make money selling fuel - Otherwise they simply would not do it - They aren't charities.

They keep moaning that it would pay them to pull out of selling at the forecourt, well **** off and do it, then.

No?

Thought not.

It would be worth investigating how much is down to oil companies and how much is down to profiteering franchisees though - As soon as the cat is out of the bag and people begin to realise they are paying over the odds, it *should* drop.
Old 16 September 2008, 10:15 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

They don't make that much money at the pumps, and there is some truth that the shop attached makes as much money as the sale of petrol.

However, they make money through the chain as they sell to themselves (i.e. one subsidery extracts the oil, sells it to another to process it, then another to distribute etc..).

Steve
Old 16 September 2008, 10:49 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the way they make money

Three fraudsters who bought their own petrol stations to steal customers' credit card details were on course to make £3.5million, police said last night
Un-bloody-believable
Old 16 September 2008, 10:55 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
.............of course they don't

That's why the price of oil has dropped quite a bit, but fuel at the pumps has barely moved...........in fact yesterday here I saw a RISE at one garage:mad;

Alcazar
Indeed, Shell was last week £108.9, now it's £109.9 for unleaded for my Pug wtf
Old 16 September 2008, 01:24 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

vpower went up round here yesterday, from 118.9 to 120.9!
Old 16 September 2008, 01:39 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

And aside from a few posts on a forum we do nothing which is why it is still so expensive, they know the British will just put up with it.

At the very least the goverment should be asking some questions... Oh sorry I forgot, they are way too busy lining their own pockets before the next equally greedy mob fall into power by default next year.

This country has had it I fear.
Old 16 September 2008, 04:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
And aside from a few posts on a forum we do nothing which is why it is still so expensive, they know the British will just put up with it.

At the very least the goverment should be asking some questions... Oh sorry I forgot, they are way too busy lining their own pockets before the next equally greedy mob fall into power by default next year.

This country has had it I fear.
The more it costs at the pumps, the more VAT they cream off. Can you see them changing things in that case?

Les
Old 16 September 2008, 04:27 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The more it costs at the pumps, the more VAT they cream off. Can you see them changing things in that case?

Les
If they thought they had the slightest chance of being re-elected yes, but they know and have accepted their time is up.

Now they are just 'looting' the country for their own ends prior to the new tenants arriving at Downing St.

Sad, but true.
Old 16 September 2008, 04:28 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

What do you mean "for their own ends" ?

And what do you mean "looting"?
Old 16 September 2008, 04:35 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
What do you mean "for their own ends" ?

And what do you mean "looting"?
What I mean is they are making damn sure they do OK out of their time in power on an individual level and hence don't even bother to make a statement about the current price of fuel or the rise in gas prices or inflation or... etc. etc.

They remind me of the Tories in 1997. That saddens me to say that as the last Tory government under Thatcher and Major was the worst thing that ever happened to this country in terms of its social fabric, but that is what they remind me of. They just don't care anymore.

The worst thing is I now have noone to vote for as Cameron is just more of the same waiting to happen.
Old 16 September 2008, 04:39 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

What I mean is they are making damn sure they do OK out of their time in power on an individual level and hence don't even bother to make a statement about the current price of fuel or the rise in gas prices or inflation or... etc. etc.
How is that doing ok on an individual level? I'm not sure I follow
They remind me of the Tories in 1997. That saddens me to say that as the last Tory government under Thatcher and Major was the worst thing that ever happened to this country in terms of its social fabric, but that is what they remind me of. They just don't care anymore.
I won't argue there, they show all the signs of a party that has been in power too long
The worst thing is I now have noone to vote for as Cameron is just more of the same waiting to happen.
I have no Objection to the Tories getting in, just so long as it isn't a landslide, that would be the worst thing that could happen.
Old 16 September 2008, 05:02 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

How is that doing ok on an individual level? I'm not sure I follow.
Oh come on, let's put it this way. How do you think Margaret Thatcher became a multi millionaire on £28K a year?

I use her as an example btw, plenty more where she came from.

Let's just say they use their positions to line their own pockets how ever they can.
Old 16 September 2008, 05:23 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Thumbs up

Oh come on, let's put it this way. How do you think Margaret Thatcher became a multi millionaire on £28K a year?

I use her as an example btw, plenty more where she came from.

Let's just say they use their positions to line their own pockets how ever they can.

Tony Blair? A far better example than Thatcher I'd say when it comes to lining your own pockets. And lets quickly remind everyone of exactly how Blair managed to obtain a massive mortgage (which he couldn't technically afford) on the strength of a potential multi million pound book deal.

How much could this book be worth? Oh, lets say it might just depend on what sort of huge and controversial / wars / world altering decisions you make in office before losing the plot. Oh, and that whacky American president you ended up becoming embroiled with (read so far up...) might just help with a few more mill, eh

Lining ones own pockets is not what I'd call it tbo
Old 16 September 2008, 05:27 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _RIP_
Tony Blair? A far better example than Thatcher I'd say when it comes to lining your own pockets. And lets quickly remind everyone of exactly how Blair managed to obtain a massive mortgage (which he couldn't technically afford) on the strength of a potential multi million pound book deal.

How much could this book be worth? Oh, lets say it might just depend on what sort of huge and controversial / wars / world altering decisions you make in office before losing the plot. Oh, and that whacky American president you ended up becoming embroiled with (read so far up...) might just help with a few more mill, eh

Lining ones own pockets is not what I'd call it tbo
Are you seriously suggesting that Blair went to war in Iraq to bolster is future book sales??

Dear Lord this place gets dottier by the day
Old 16 September 2008, 05:36 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _RIP_
Tony Blair? A far better example than Thatcher I'd say when it comes to lining your own pockets.
I wouldn't, but most of you have rose tinted spectacles where that woman is concerned.
Old 17 September 2008, 01:07 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Probably not the best example you could have used actually

Mrs Thatcher's personal finances were always made open and available for scrutiny all the time she was in public service

I'll admit that being married to a man who was richer than God probably helped her to some extent though
Old 17 September 2008, 08:39 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

By being Prime Minister? She wasn't the first, or the last person to become wealthy after her tenure as Prime Minister.

I do not believe for one second that for most MPs the motivation is to line their pockets.
There are eacier, and more effectvie ways of doing that in public service, without going down the accountable MP route.
Old 17 September 2008, 08:44 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I do not believe for one second that for most MPs the motivation is to line their pockets.
Best joke I have heard in ages. A more greedy self serving bunch you are unlikely to find.
Old 17 September 2008, 10:04 AM
Eddie1980
Scooby Regular

I thought Shell made record profits the other month...

My Brother works offshore, he says its never been so busy....

Someone round here is telling porkies.
Old 18 September 2008, 11:28 AM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

Why are there delusional pedants on here arguing that politicians don't serve their own financial agenda?

Is that what SN is these days?
Old 18 September 2008, 11:30 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabbos
Is that what SN is these days?
Yes. Next.
Old 18 September 2008, 12:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

How is that doing ok on an individual level? I'm not sure I follow

I won't argue there, they show all the signs of a party that has been in power too long

I have no Objection to the Tories getting in, just so long as it isn't a landslide, that would be the worst thing that could happen.
I dont know what to really make of Cameron, but I definitely want to see the backs of this present lot.

As you say, we don't want a landslide victory for sure.

Les