Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bad things come in threes:

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2008, 08:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Bad things come in threes:

1. Been told by my doc that my blood pressure is "unacceptably, even dangerously high".

2. Also been today to be told that my cholesterol is 50% above the highest it should be to be safe

3. Recently been diagnosed with suspected glaucoma in my left eye.

Good month, so far then.

Usual stuff: cut down on salt, alcohol, fatty foods, take-aways, (all the nice things), and get more exercise............as if that's gonna do owt.

Jeez, good job I've life insurance

Alcazar
Old 09 September 2008, 08:48 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How high is unacceptably high

My dads tonight went up to 240/98
Old 09 September 2008, 08:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

170/100

Alcazar
Old 09 September 2008, 09:13 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Shouldn't worry about it.
Apparently we're all going to die tomorrow.

Old 09 September 2008, 09:15 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alcazar
1. Been told by my doc that my blood pressure is "unacceptably, even dangerously high".

2. Also been today to be told that my cholesterol is 50% above the highest it should be to be safe

3. Recently been diagnosed with suspected glaucoma in my left eye.

Good month, so far then.

Usual stuff: cut down on salt, alcohol, fatty foods, take-aways, (all the nice things), and get more exercise............as if that's gonna do owt.

Jeez, good job I've life insurance

Alcazar

Don't let it get you down. A good night out on the razz with a kebab ending'll soon cheer you up!
Old 09 September 2008, 09:26 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

So long as you can make it to the pub
Old 09 September 2008, 09:28 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I've always said I'd rather do less years and enjoythem, than many years eating like an anorexic rabbit only to be hit by a bus or left to veg in some nursing home at 98.

Even that Atkins bloke kicked it when he fell down some stairs.
Old 09 September 2008, 10:29 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Listen mate when you get older stuff like this catches up upon you that you could get away with in your 20's, i.e. Smoking, eating crap, no exercise.

You can easily pull it around before something happens i.e. a stroke or heart attack, please dont think i'm trying to scare you here but to ignore advice like this is stupid.

Your life doesn't need to stop mate, 2 years ago my blood pressure whilst not that high was above 'Normal levels' whatever that may be as was my cholesterol - now its pretty much bang on, i'm still a fat **** although i'm 4 stone lighter but i feel a different person with the changes i made.

You dont need to eat like a rabbit just a bit more sensibly, cut your salt out or replace with low-salt. Cut out processed foods i.e. pizza's etc. as these are loaded with salt amd reduce your fat content.

take a walk 3 times a week and eat some banana's as these are good for lowering blood pressure.

Have a cheat day maybe a Saturday night have that curry, then on teh Subnday maybe get your **** up and go for a sprited walk around the local park for an hour.

its about balancing things out.

The amount of people i see when i go hill walking in their 70's and 80's astounds me. and i'm sure doing a bit and a healthy (ish) diet prolongs longetivity.
Old 09 September 2008, 10:45 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Normal is 140/70
Old 09 September 2008, 11:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just see it as Boost Pressure

Doctors sometimes seem to live to spoil your day, they are right but they tell you like you wont make it through the day, look at what heaves itself around urban shopping centres, just modify your lifestyle a bit, take heed but dont get maudlin.

Mine tells me stuff like that every time, they tell my dad, and my 87 year old grandad who may explode if punctured.

Go out for a walk every night, get a dog as they lower blood pressure, (F*ck knows how) if you havent already.

Just bear it in mind, make changes but dont dwell as I reckon thats what kills most people, fear and Flora Pro-Active.

My BP goes mental at the doctors, I go in hospital, they just put the cuff on, its normal if I dont know its coming, I reckon, part is actuall blood pressure and the rest fear of my guilty pie and beer secrets being exposed.
Old 10 September 2008, 12:12 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Its called 'White coat syndrome' loads of people suffer from it, the fear of seeing the doctor then as a result your bp shoots up.

By the way dont rely on the cheap BP monitors that you can buy, my mate bought one and measured his morning, noon and night and it was sky high. needless to say he was sh**ing himself, when he actually calmed down and got a few consitant readings at the doctors, whilst ever so slightly raised it was by no means high. His doctor told him not to worry and come back in six months
Old 10 September 2008, 02:10 AM
Scoobyols69
Scooby Regular

i haven't been to the doctors for about 6 years now and im all good n healthy ! not smoking probabily helps but i drink