Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Recommend me a good 32" LCD telly please.

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2008, 08:52 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me a good 32" LCD telly please.

Hi,

Turned my old telly on last nite and pic has a purple tinge to it which as far as i know means tube is on way out-so im after a new 32" LCD digital telly.

What do folk recommend from personnal experiences plus what do i need to look out for, any good websites with reviews on them-see the gadget show liked a toshiba one in 32 inch size.

I dont want any bigger then 32" but i do want it to be digital - it doesnt get used much and i rarely watch dvd's on it and dont hook it up to a playstation etc type of thing neither - so basically i just need a good decent pic and decent sound from it - so i reckon £400 to £500 should do as my budget for one.

Any recommendations please?
Old 05 September 2008, 09:19 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ironically i 've just bought a Toshiba 32" LCD Tv it's 32XV505DB (£500) but i'm sure you can shop around for it being cheaper online

https://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/388570

i bought it for 1080P and the good contrast ratio admittedley i bought it for gaming.
Normal picture running through my Virgin box is poor ,not tried DVDs yet though
Old 05 September 2008, 09:37 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by **************
You can pick the Sony Bravia 32" models up in Sainsburys/Tescos for around the £400 mark. People will go oh you don't want one of them as they are cr4p as they are the supermarket model (U) but i've got 2 of them and they are bloody excellent and defy anyone to prove to me their 32" Sony Bravia picture is better than mine.

Because obviously the supermarkets make their own TVs just like people who wiil not use supermarket fuels
Old 05 September 2008, 09:50 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Slightly over budget but - 32" LCD - Panasonic Viera

Panasonic Viera TX32LZD80 LCD HD Ready 1080p Digital Television, 32 Inch - John Lewis

1080P with a 5 Yr Guarantee

Or try here http://www.richersounds.com/
Old 05 September 2008, 09:56 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

SAMSUNG LE32A457 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Here u go cheap as chips
Old 05 September 2008, 10:03 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You can pick the Sony Bravia 32" models up in Sainsburys/Tescos for around the £400 mark. People will go oh you don't want one of them as they are cr4p as they are the supermarket model (U) but i've got 2 of them and they are bloody excellent and defy anyone to prove to me their 32" Sony Bravia picture is better than mine. A relative also bought one after seeing the 2 I bought as they were very impressed for the price. Use them for normal telly/freeview, xbox360/ps3 dvd's and bluray and the picture is fantastic. I'd tried some of the budget 32" tv's before the Sony and they all had hideous picture quality in comparison and got returned for a refund.
How people can 'prove' this Im not sure: but if you go to a Sony shop and see for yourself, several similarly sized models side by side, then the improvement is obvious.

Trending Topics

Old 05 September 2008, 11:34 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

You can pick the Sony Bravia 32" models up in Sainsburys/Tescos for around the £400 mark. People will go oh you don't want one of them as they are cr4p as they are the supermarket model (U) but i've got 2 of them and they are bloody excellent and defy anyone to prove to me their 32" Sony Bravia picture is better than mine. A relative also bought one after seeing the 2 I bought as they were very impressed for the price. Use them for normal telly/freeview, xbox360/ps3 dvd's and bluray and the picture is fantastic. I'd tried some of the budget 32" tv's before the Sony and they all had hideous picture quality in comparison and got returned for a refund.
So long as you believe that then all well and good.

Personally I got the vastly superior 'T' model from Amazon for about £50 more than they were selling the 'U' jobs in Tescos. This has a better panel the than 'U' (source Sony's own website, higher contrast etc.) and has better processing. Picture processing is what Sony really excel at. I'm happy
Old 05 September 2008, 11:37 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

They have the same TFT 'panel', its the driver boards that are superior: or certainly it used to be...
Old 05 September 2008, 11:47 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

There's not much to choose between the top brands. We have a Philips in the bedroom which is excellent, but Panasonic, Toshiba or Sony is probably just as good. It's worth trolling Amazon for a couple of weeks as we got ours for £440, but a week later it went up to over £800 It is still listed at over £600 even though it's now an out of date item. HotUKDeals is worth a good browse too, and Google shopping brings good price results.

Sony KDL32S3000 32" HD ready LCD TV £380 @ PC World + 2.5% quidco - HotUKDeals Forum

EXPIRED - Toshiba 32A3030DB 32" Widescreen LCD TV - HD Ready - Freeview - 768 res - £274.90 with 5 year warranty - HotUKDeals Forum

Sharp 32" 1080P Full HD Ready LCD TV DirectTVs £449.97 - HotUKDeals Forum

Samsung 32" HD Ready Freeview LCD TV £350.58 delivered @ Dixons - HotUKDeals Forum

You search further.
Old 05 September 2008, 11:50 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OPM

I know absolutely nothing about TV's but when I wander through the shops I always seem to notice that the Sony screens look better than the others........ they seem to be less "blocky" with a natural colour.

Just my observation with no evidence

Shaun
Old 05 September 2008, 11:52 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
They have the same TFT 'panel', its the driver boards that are superior: or certainly it used to be...
This is not so. Okay it was a 26" model I bought but the T has a S-PVA panel which has a wider viewing angle (178 vs 160 degrees) and a better contrast ratio (8000:1 vs 5000:1). The S and U models use TN panels, TN panels are the cheapest LCD panels in use.

The difference between the S and U is that the S has the latest generation of the excellent Sony Bravia picture processing engine. The U has very basic picture processing though Sony still label it as a Bravia set for marketing purposes.
Old 05 September 2008, 11:53 AM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

bought a lovely samsung the other day 37 inch though . the picture quality is reelly good , sounds not great but i have a cinema system on its way . best tv by far picture wise imo .

was 550 all in from comet
Old 05 September 2008, 12:04 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
This is not so. Okay it was a 26" model I bought but the T has a S-PVA panel which has a wider viewing angle (178 vs 160 degrees) and a better contrast ratio (8000:1 vs 5000:1). The S and U models use TN panels, TN panels are the cheapest LCD panels in use.

The difference between the S and U is that the S has the latest generation of the excellent Sony Bravia picture processing engine. The U has very basic picture processing though Sony still label it as a Bravia set for marketing purposes.
When 40" was the largest set that they made, the 'S', the 'V' and the 'W' (KDL-W40xxx) all used the same TFT, according to Sony. The difference came from the driver boards, which were inferior in the 'S' model.
Old 05 September 2008, 12:38 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

I want a new telly but there`s nothing wrong with my old Sony CRT apart from poor picture, and I`m not allowed a new telly till this one `goes bang` How can I make make my telly `go bang` without being found out by my wife. I dont want to electricute myself in the process.

Any tips?

I could remove the fuse from the plug I suppose, she`ll never know
Old 05 September 2008, 01:37 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by n one
I want a new telly but there`s nothing wrong with my old Sony CRT apart from poor picture, and I`m not allowed a new telly till this one `goes bang` How can I make make my telly `go bang` without being found out by my wife. I dont want to electricute myself in the process.

Any tips?

I could remove the fuse from the plug I suppose, she`ll never know
Or try this click
Old 05 September 2008, 01:45 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

swirl a magnet over the front of the telly a few times and leave it hidden next to the tube at the back.......get the wife to have a look, shake your head a few times and mutter "broken tube"

Sorted

Shaun
Old 05 September 2008, 01:52 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all replies-will have to do some research when i can get to shops
Old 05 September 2008, 04:02 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ^OPM^
Thanks for all replies-will have to do some research when i can get to shops
Ooh, be careful what they tell you in the shops Especially the likes of Currys and Comet where the spotty 17yo know-nowt will sell you a Matsui but tell you it's the best ever made so he can collect his 'sales spiv'. Take advice from AV Forums (if you can get a reply from the grumpy gits) or similar once you know which ones are your front runners. Don't trust magazines either, as the biggest advertisers always come out tops in their tests Amazon reviews can be a good resource, but they again are open to manufacturers submitting their own
Old 05 September 2008, 05:09 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for the tip Shaun, I`ll let you know how I get on

Neil.

Originally Posted by Midlife......
swirl a magnet over the front of the telly a few times and leave it hidden next to the tube at the back.......get the wife to have a look, shake your head a few times and mutter "broken tube"

Sorted

Shaun
Old 05 September 2008, 07:42 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
I know absolutely nothing about TV's

It seems not

As your little tip did not work, I moved the magnet back `n` forth for about 45 seconds, wife came home, turned TV on and it was fine. Darn, did I not do it right? Bigger magnet maybe?

Old 05 September 2008, 07:57 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Don't get the Sharp.... I was going to but a friend in the trade warned me (crap picture !) even at directtvs price it's a bad 'un.

I went crazy and got the Panasonic 1080P 100Hz from Directtvs and with dvd picture is awesome enough, but I'm waiting till Saturday to get the new Sony xyz-350 Blu-Ray as it's only £225 at digitaldirect !

HTH

DunxC

P.S. It's a bit over budget, but picture quality is where it counts, ( small study, so didn't need a bigger screen !)
Old 05 September 2008, 08:17 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Can't remember where I saw it, bit I'm sure I saw a Sony BDP for under £180 recently I may be wrong in this assumption, but in these days of digital connectivity, the player is just a disc reader, so barring any error correction you will get the same image from the cheapest as you do from the dearest Of course, if you use any analogue connections then any onboard processing is still subject to the quality of the electronics, firm and software.
Old 05 September 2008, 08:47 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Found it BDPS300 £180 at Richers
Old 05 September 2008, 09:07 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

n one

Blimey ! your CRT must have good de gaussing.

If my Hitach CRT even gets a sniff of something magnetic it develops purple swirls and colour smears

Maybe the fuse option may be best LOL

Shaun