Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Racism...How far would you take it?

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2008, 10:49 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racism...How far would you take it?

Pulling out of a road near my house this afternoon and I had to be waved out, by a driver who was letting me out anyway, as a very inconsiderate fedEx driver had parked half on half off the road, blocking visibility from the junction.

It was a tight squeeze for me to get out of the junction (quite a narrow road), and I beeped him in annoyance, not realising he was in the van. As i drove past he stuck his fingers up at me.. which really foofed me off (yes I have a red heads temprement).. so I pulled over, and went over to ask him why the rude gesture as he was a) parked illegally obstructing a junction, and road users visibility and B) also blocking a pavement.

Basically told me to F*** off to which I said I would phone FedEx and complain about his disgusting attitude.. he said he didn't f'ing care and 'do that..'

I went back to my car.. he pulled off the pavement and said something rude which I didnt catch so I called him a ****.. then he told me to F*** off, white b!tch..

He was a black guy.

Now if I had been racist towards him, I can imagine what would have happened. The police would be knocking on my door.

I only took it as far as phoning FedEx and making a complaint about his dangerous parking and his abuse/racism. They have said that they will trace his vehicle and get back to me.. I wait with baited breath

Remember I am only a little person of the feminine variety so other than smack him in the gob....what would you lot have done? would you have left it??

Last edited by little-ginge; 23 August 2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 22 August 2008, 11:38 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Most (but not all) van drivers take liberties just because they 'drive' for a living. Most have a huge chip on their shoulder, this bloke sounds well balanced with chips on both shoulders. Perhaps he was miffed because his ancestors were made to pick cotton! (Tongue in cheek comment).
Old 22 August 2008, 11:43 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
Pulling out of a road near my house this afternoon and I had to be waved out, by a driver who was letting me out anyway, as a very inconsiderate fedEx driver had parked half on half off the road, blocking visibility from the junction.

It was a tight squeeze for me to get out of the junction (quite a narrow road), and I beeped him in annoyance, not realising he was in the van. As i drove past he stuck his fingers up at me.. which really foofed me off (yes I have a red heads temprement).. so I pulled over, and went over to ask him why the rude gesture as he was a) parked illegally obstructing a junction, and road users visibility and B) also blocking a pavement.

Basically told me to F*** off to which I said I would phone FedEx and complain about his disgusting attitude.. he said he didn't f'ing care and 'do that..'

I went back to my car.. he pulled off the pavement and said something rude which I didnt catch so I called him a ****.. then he told me to F*** off, white b!tch..

He was a black guy.

Now if I had been racist towards him, I can imagine what would have happened. The police would be knocking on my door.

I only took it as far as phoning FedEx and making a complaint about his parking and his abuse/racism. They have said that they will trace his vehicle and get back to me.. I wait with baited breath

Remember I am only a little person of the feminine variety so other than smack him in the gob....what would you lot have done? would you have left it??

No I absolutely would not let that drop, I may have dealt with it differently at the time if I was on the receiving end. Complain complain complain, threaten to involve the police until the guy is sacked. Simple.

laws to protect against racist abuse work both ways.

Old 22 August 2008, 11:44 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Racism..........Name calling over exagerated by people with an inferiority complex.

You are right to complain to Fedex but as far as the cops are concerned, if you report it to them (cops) they will be obliged to arrest the bloke for a racist public order which may end in you attending court to give evidence against the van driver.
Can you be bothered to go that far. Were you that offended?

Let Fedex deal with it internally. imo

Last edited by bob r; 22 August 2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: .
Old 22 August 2008, 11:46 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
Racism..........Name calling over exagerated by people with an inferiority complex.

You are right to complain to Fedex but as far as the cops are concerned, if you report it to them (cops) they will be obliged to arrest the bloke for a racist public order which may end in you attending court to give evidence against the van driver.
Can you be bothered to go that far. Were you that offended?

clearly she is, or it would have been forgotten about by now.
Old 22 August 2008, 11:49 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Isn't it strange that they are the first to play the racist card, yet at the first opportunity, they come out with a line like that. I give up on this Country
Old 22 August 2008, 11:50 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
Isn't it strange that they are the first to play the racist card, yet at the first opportunity, they come out with a line like that. I give up on this Country

+1
Old 22 August 2008, 11:51 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by cookstar
+1
hit the thumb button (I did)
Old 22 August 2008, 11:55 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

yo shudda put a cap in is *** biotch
Old 22 August 2008, 11:55 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

I was mightily miffed at the time, and thats why i phoned fedex. I just wondered what everyone else would have done..

It annoys the foof out of me.. it seems to be that the call of racism is shouted quick enough when say a white person says something derogatory to certain people of certain ethnic backgrounds, and the police, press, media etc are quick to highlight such occurances, & people don't condone it.. but when it happens the other way round it's not even mentioned.

We are at the point where we tiptoe around certain people of ethnic backgrounds in fear of unitentionally saying something which will offend them, and at worse be accused of being a racist*, yet when they give it to us, it's okay.. well it's not and I'm fed up with it.

(* i had this at work once from an Asian guy whom I had to discipline.. however when 2 black colleagues heard of the story, they went to HR and said they have never met anyone less likely to be a racist, but the whole episode of being accused of something like that was horrible).

I know what I am trying to say, but I don't think i've worded it well

I'm ok for FedEx to deal with it in-house. At least I raised the issue which alot of people may not do - I am a little bit worried now though as this was close to my house, and if this guy gets a bollocking, will he come looking for me? Or what happens when I get a packaged FedEx, and just my luck it's this low-life delivering it to me?

Last edited by little-ginge; 23 August 2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 23 August 2008, 12:10 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
clearly she is, or it would have been forgotten about by now.
No! Look at her post above which confirms the o/p is clearly not that offended as she does not wish to take it further.

little-ginge
I think you have made the right decision .
Prosecuting people for name calling is pathetic imo. Who ever introduced this law
Old 23 August 2008, 12:16 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

No! Look at her post above which confirms the o/p is clearly not that offended as she does not wish to take it further.

little-ginge
Prosecuting people for name calling is pathetic imo. Who ever introduced this law
#

I agree, but Bob, what if she had called him a Black B"""""d, how would that have gone down.I am sick and tired of us having to take it and not give it back. This Country is poo. The elders will be turning in their graves
Old 23 August 2008, 12:17 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

little-ginge

I didn't say to prosecute, I said threaten involving the police which would/should spur his manager to do something about it. At the very least he needs to be disciplined for his actions.
Old 23 August 2008, 12:21 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

#

I agree, but Bob, what if she had called him a Black B"""""d, how would that have gone down.I am sick and tired of us having to take it and not give it back. This Country is poo. The elders will be turning in their graves

Exactly.
Old 23 August 2008, 12:28 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you certainly did the right thing reporting him to the company. Whether anything comes of it, who knows, but at least you didn't take it lying down.

Regardless of the racism, nobody should be verbally abused by someone else, even worse that he's representing his company at the time. Hopefully they will have the sense to at least discipline him.
Old 23 August 2008, 12:46 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Just forget about it.

Is it really with the hassle?

If minor annoyances like this are your major worries then you are very very lucky, if not then you're still making a mountain out of a mole hill.

It was a throw-away comment and you're making far too much of it.

Move on.
How can I be making to much of it, as I have already stated above that i am happy for the company to deal with it.

The whole point of the thread was as a discussion, what would my fellow Sn'ers do.
Old 23 August 2008, 12:46 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

OMG

Just reading that you have actually gone to report him.

How small and petty minded can you get

Hope you feel good about yourself.

I agree with her
Old 23 August 2008, 12:52 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

This just smacks of a whiny child running to their teacher

Stuff like this happens every day. Just laugh, shake your head, forget about it and move on.

No it doesn't. He bullied and played the racist card. Bang out of order. Boot on the other foot. She is in her rights
Old 23 August 2008, 12:55 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Basically, you had a road rage incident, you lost, felt bad about yourself, maybe a bit of a loser/humiliated so you did the equivalent of running to teacher or trying to get your own back,get yourself a little victory by reporting him to his employer.

Then posting on here to justify your actions to yourself so you don't feel bad knowing that the massively right-wing anti=pc Snet collective would back you up.

Nat, you are talking out of a horses ****. He was bang out of order and racist. White bitch is racist. end of
Old 23 August 2008, 12:55 AM
miff13
Scooby Regular

OMG

Just reading that you have actually gone to report him.

How small and petty minded can you get

Hope you feel good about yourself.
Sorry, I totally disagree with you. This man is representing Fedex and his behaviour is unacceptable, obviously we're only hearing one side of the story but assumming the op isn't keeping something back then this is unacceptable behaviour. If he treated me like that I wouldn't hesitate to report it to his employer.

When people stand back and let this sort of behaviour stand it leads to the sort of problems we are experiencing in society today.
Old 23 August 2008, 12:58 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

miff
Old 23 August 2008, 12:58 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Basically, you had a road rage incident, you lost, felt bad about yourself, maybe a bit of a loser/humiliated so you did the equivalent of running to teacher or trying to get your own back,get yourself a little victory by reporting him to his employer.

Then posting on here to justify your actions to yourself so you don't feel bad knowing that the massively right-wing anti=pc Snet collective would back you up.

WTF? Not at all. I didn't lose anything... in fact being the non-racist, calm person would make me the winner not the loser in this situation . He was lucky he picked me rather than someone who would go to the lengths of abuse and vitriol which can be reached when there is road rage.

I fail to see how you can condone racism, which you clearly do.

Happy trolling.
Old 23 August 2008, 01:03 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

I'm not trolling. I gave my opinion as asked for and now you don't like it and it isn't backing up your actions and making you feel better like everyone else pandering to the poor little person in distress like you were blatantly fishing for you don't like it.
Oh get over yourself, already.
Old 23 August 2008, 01:03 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

I forwarded a mate of mine a text message that I recieved earlier....

He rung me up straight away pissing himself laughing. But if I post it on here the pc wierd lot will infract me to death. (even though it's funny as **** IMO and his)

He's not racist, but I do know 'coloured' and 'white' people that are racist.

The ones out of them all that couldn't give 2 f*cks and have a laugh are my real mates.

Racism is racism - that does includes back on white.

Why can't some of 'us' and some of 'them' just get over it?