Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bad luck today, Pt 2!

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2008, 03:53 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad luck today, Pt 2!

I've just got back from taking the Mrs too the chemists to get a needy prescription, and on switching the pug off, a load of water/coolant, spunked out of the over flow tank.

I only have about £4.50 to my name, can I get some coolant for this

After the catastrophe re. my mortgage in the other thread, I cant even borrow a swifty £10 to get some and only have pocket change. I have to take the Mrs to work in the morning, but the header tank is half empty I daren't drive the car incase it goes boom.
Old 18 August 2008, 03:58 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill lend you a tenna if needed, no way rich my self, but have read on here where you have helpted other scoobynetrs out, soand ill do the same, you could aii ways sell one some drawing time
Old 18 August 2008, 03:59 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

If you topped it up with water it will most likely be ok for a short while. Just don't drive it too far or too hard.

I've read both of your posts today buddy, chin up, things can only get better.
Old 18 August 2008, 04:02 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

just make sure it's not indicative of a bigger problem with the motor. air getting into the system for example or running too hot?
Old 18 August 2008, 04:03 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I've just got back from taking the Mrs too the chemists to get a needy prescription, and on switching the pug off, a load of water/coolant, spunked out of the over flow tank.

I only have about £4.50 to my name, can I get some coolant for this

After the catastrophe re. my mortgage in the other thread, I cant even borrow a swifty £10 to get some and only have pocket change. I have to take the Mrs to work in the morning, but the header tank is half empty I daren't drive the car incase it goes boom.
Blimey, not a great day then.

Re cooling. your Pug should run on a mix of water and coolant, not neat coolant so top it up with water, ideally if you have any - distilled stuff.

Which Pug have you - was y having Head gasket/coolant/rad problems with my 406 2.1TD which i cured with rad seal (google it) which cost me some £ 9.00 instead of the head orr and a new rad which on my old 406 sh*tter is more that it woiuld be worth.

Could be a few reasons why your car sh*t out the water. could be a weak rad cap, head gasket probs, overfilled in the first place, all sorts.

Pugs do have problems with head gaskets, well some do.

Good luck, keep smiling and remember what does not kill you makes you stonger!
Old 18 August 2008, 04:08 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help guys. I may take a walk down halfords and see if I can get a litre or something. I presume the car was a little warm and didnt cool down properly after I jumped out of it. Probably down to having a manual switch for the radiator fans. Just panicking as the water/coolant mixture is dangerously thin by the looks of what spunked out the overflow rubber thing.
Old 18 August 2008, 04:13 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Just chuck some distilled water in, coolant has slightly better thermal properties and helps with long term corrosion protection in the system, but for the short term a bit of distilled will do no harm.
Old 18 August 2008, 04:18 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

As above. it's not going to freeze so you don't have that to worry about. short term topping with water would do. Just make sure the system has no airlocks and keep an eye on the temps.
Old 18 August 2008, 05:16 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I think shes better

I rang up my local AE Cooks Autoparts place, and they did me 2Litres of anti-freeze-coolant for £5.64. My next door neighbour helped me out ££ wise - nice guy

I got back from a steady walk and the Pug took both 1Litre bottle's and about 250-300ml of water on top

Bloody glad I didn't try drive it now.
Old 18 August 2008, 05:21 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I think shes better

I rang up my local AE Cooks Autoparts place, and they did me 2Litres of anti-freeze-coolant for £5.64. My next door neighbour helped me out ££ wise - nice guy

I got back from a steady walk and the Pug took both 1Litre bottle's and about 250-300ml of water on top

Bloody glad I didn't try drive it now.
Sounds like you may have a problem, with the quantities involved. what you describet is exactly what my pug did - Head gasket leaking gasses into the cooling system (No water in the water thank God) cauing presure build up.
It dumped it load (so to speak) once it had stopped.
Old 18 August 2008, 05:37 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Just stick some tap water in it don’t waste money on coolant and distilled water its not going to freeze this time of year and your tap water cant be that bad.
Old 18 August 2008, 05:44 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Sounds like you may have a problem, with the quantities involved. what you describet is exactly what my pug did - Head gasket leaking gasses into the cooling system (No water in the water thank God) cauing presure build up.
It dumped it load (so to speak) once it had stopped.
Thing is though Paul, it's the forst time it has done it in my wonership, and before this, it has used no water what so ever. The car has been jacked-up a few times for little niggly things and there has never been an issue with water.

I do think it was down to the engine being hot (water temp was on 4th bar out of 6) and I switched the engine off too quickly. Obviously a manual fan means no cool air to radiator as its switched off and the cars not moving. I can see how she over heated now and dumped water out via the over flow hose. All the water came round fromt he back of the passenger wheel to, which a relaible source tells me is a good sign. From now on, I shall simply have the manual fans on bofore pulling up, same as someone with a Scoob would let the turbo cool down.
Old 18 August 2008, 05:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rbaz
Just stick some tap water in it don’t waste money on coolant and distilled water its not going to freeze this time of year and your tap water cant be that bad.
Yes, but then its ok, you forget and remember with some clarity in February when its frozen solid. Some engines need it to inhibit corrosion.
Old 18 August 2008, 05:53 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Yes, but then its ok, you forget and remember with some clarity in February when its frozen solid. Some engines need it to inhibit corrosion.
Yeah but its August and he is skint. Am sure there will be enough left in there not to corrode the engine its only to top up with not change the whole system and he will have to remember before it gets cold.
Shi* if it comes down to eating and buying coolant I know which one I will be getting
Old 18 August 2008, 08:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yes, but its worth making a note in the diary.
Old 19 August 2008, 02:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you are lucky it could be an air lock, especially since you have not had to check it for some time. Sometimes you can get rid of the airlock after you have filled it up by squeezing the bottom hose smartly a few times with the filler cap off if there is not a valve to let the air out near the top of the water system.

Les
Old 19 August 2008, 03:25 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I've run the car today twice now, once from stone cold this morning and all the fun with a sticking starter motor , and secondly just now to pick my better half up from work. I put the twin fans on about 3 mins away from home so the water temp was cooler when I got home. Success

(Well she hasnt pissed water like an inconstinent Elephant today anyways).
Old 19 August 2008, 03:36 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Keep the fans on all of the time. Itll be fine with just water in it too, certainly until the end of Autumn. I was going to say dont put the coolant in, but I see that its too late. You have to be certain that the cooling system is full: after something like this has happened that can be difficult to achieve (and an air lock could have been the cause of the original problem). The only way to be sure is to drain it and then re-fill measuring the quantity. The highest hose may have a plug in it, if so open that when filling, or loosen off the highest hose joint. If it doesnt take the quoted capacity of water then another overheating/water-dumping even is likely.

Simon
Old 19 August 2008, 04:14 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Keep the fans on all of the time. Itll be fine with just water in it too, certainly until the end of Autumn. I was going to say dont put the coolant in, but I see that its too late. You have to be certain that the cooling system is full: after something like this has happened that can be difficult to achieve (and an air lock could have been the cause of the original problem). The only way to be sure is to drain it and then re-fill measuring the quantity. The highest hose may have a plug in it, if so open that when filling, or loosen off the highest hose joint. If it doesnt take the quoted capacity of water then another overheating/water-dumping even is likely.

Simon
Can't keep the fans on all the time. There is a wiring problem. Basically when the fans are turned on, the current in the wires keeps melting the plastic manual switches. Yes, I know, put a relay in there attached to the battery. But I can't, as after inspection the wire which delivers power to the fans is far too thin (probably last owners crap electrican knowledge). So I'm in the unenviable position of either melting the switches continuoulsy and replacing every few weeks, or fitting a relay and risk melting the puny thin wire under the bonnet. So I put the fans on as little as possible. As previously said earlier Simon, running them prior to finishing my journey helped no end today. Especially as the car took 2 litres of coolant yesterday and then a top up of water.

When money is better (if that ever ******* happens) I will drain the system and give her some of the good $hit