Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Flying to the USA: Some advice please

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2008, 10:43 AM
lloydee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying to the USA: Some advice please

Will be flying to New York next week on a week long vacation with the family.
Basically a few friends have warned be that after 9/11 and tightened security that I am required by US law to leave my luggage unlocked??!!

Is this still the case? and if so, what precautions can I take to protect myself from theft etc?

I am not too worried about depature from London as I will be travelling light anyway, but I'm sure once in New York I will buy a few things, plus I will be travelling to Las Vegas for a few days too so am worried about items I may have purchased in NYC.

Anyone travelled to the USA recently? Did you leave your luggage unlocked?
Old 18 August 2008, 10:52 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Last year when we travelled to Florida we locked out cases without problems, at the end of the day those case locks wouldn't really stop anyone getting into them would they.

if they scan you case and you have something dodgy in it they will crack it open otherwise it'll turn up on the conveyor as normal.

TBH alot of the time we leave our cases unlocked anyway and have never had any problems to date.
Old 18 August 2008, 11:21 AM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

You are supposed to use 'TSA locks' (Google it).

These are ones that the security people can open when they want to. And presumably everyone else with the special key....
Old 18 August 2008, 11:23 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mate you're generally advised not to lock your case anyhow because if they want to look in your case they'll break it open if they want to.

Don't put anything too breakable in it unless it's well wrapped as they tend to get hurled around a lot both here and there.

Also, be aware that you'll be finger printed and photographed at their end at passport control and that you'll have to fill out a green visa waiver form before going to passport control - make sure you have the address of where you'll be staying in your hand luggage to allow you to fill this in during the flight.

And have fun
Old 18 August 2008, 11:43 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I went to NYC in June with the missus.
If you've never been it's an amazing place.
Tripadvisor's agood place to go for the best tips.
As for your luggage, I didn't bother locking mine on the way out as I'd been warned US security staff would most likely want to look in it whilst I wasn't with the bag - they didn't.
On the way home I used my g/f's spare (very cheap) lock. Again the bag wasn't opened. I'd bought a guitar so I kept that with me on the plane.

I cant wait to go back. When we went the temparatures went mentallly into the 100's.

Enjoy!
Old 18 August 2008, 11:44 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

You are advised to leave it unlocked leaving the US only- not entering.

Basically, if they cant screen it properly, they will open it- doesnt matter what they have to break to do so. Dont bother with those TSA locks either- they just break them too as they cant be bothered to use the key and just snip them.

Pack properly so your case isnt a mess and is laid out nicely and you shouldnt have a problem. Leave it in a big jumble with electrical wires all over the place, and it is asking to be opened....
I always used to lock mine when I checked bags (never check stuff nowadays!) and not once had mine opened up.
Old 18 August 2008, 11:51 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

One time I had a lock cut by US Customs on the way back to the UK. They put it back in the case together with a standard note to say what they had done.
Old 18 August 2008, 12:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Haven't flown to the US for a while now, but did do so pretty regularly post 9/11.

Firstly, don't forget about the UK side security too. I think the new rules regarding liquids are still in place.

As for locking luggage, yes, they do advise that you don't, or if you have to use TSA approved locks, however, I've locked my luggage and never had a problem. If they need to get in, they will, and they'll leave a note saying what they have done. If you have a huge lock on there then the check in staff will probably say something, but if it's a little one they probably won't bother to check.

When it comes to US Customs/Immigration/Homeland Security/Paranoia Central (delete as applicable ), it's all very serious business indeed. Do not joke with them, be polite and answer every question, no matter how odd/intrusive it may be. Make sure you do have proof of where you are staying, a printout of hotel reservation showing your name (and anyone else who is going with you) and the location of the hotel and length of stay, would be very handy.
Old 18 August 2008, 05:27 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

The US now has an electronic version of the visa, which is mandatory for all visa waiver eligible countries from Jan 2009.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/ and Embassy of the U.S. London: Department of Homeland Security (Immigration)
Old 18 August 2008, 05:48 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

My other half had his lock cut off his suitcase last year.

They advise the use of TSA locks (as advised above). They can be opened by a 'masterkey' which US immigration have.. this saves the cutting of locks, but still keeps your suitcase safe(ish).

'TSA screens every passenger's baggage before it is placed on an airplane. While our technology allows us to electronically screen bags, there are times when we need to physically inspect a piece of luggage. TSA has worked with several companies to develop locks that can be opened by security officers using universal "master" keys so that the locks may not have to be cut. These locks are available at airports and travel stores nationwide. The packaging on the locks indicates whether they can be opened by TSA'

Locks with this symbol as TSA recognisable..

Old 18 August 2008, 07:19 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I use a small cable tie not a lock, have done for years and not had any problems.

Also, remember security is tight (airport style) at the main attractions and can take a few hours to get through security at peak times.
Old 18 August 2008, 07:38 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

As a regular traveller for work I never, ever bother with locking a case. Anything valuable is with me in my laptop bag, why leave it to chance?

I have never had anything go missing from my case either, and at the end of the day the apperance of a padlock or something on it just says "look at me, I've got stuff worth nicking".

The USA side is pretty smooth, transit flights within the country may well get you flagged for additional security checks as you are alien, doesn't take more than about 5 mins though
Old 18 August 2008, 09:24 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Been to the states a few times. We normally lock our cases (where ever we go), only once have I collected my case (in the USA) and the lock has been cut off.
Old 18 August 2008, 09:36 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

we leave them unlocked. they will just cut it if they like.

they even opened ours suitcases once on check in .

when you get to america at the airport anyone with a little bit of authority will act like they are from **** germany and you are a jew .

Well thats how I felt, anyway.

most yanks that arent in any position of authority though are pretty decent!
Old 19 August 2008, 12:11 AM
lloydee
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies so far. Very helpful.
Glad I asked the question now, will look into the TSA locks.
Unfortunately I have a hardcase, so the TSA padlocks wont be of any use to me.
I am looking at getting a TSA luggage strap instead
TSA Luggage Straps
Are these any good from keeping unauthorised people away form my suitcase?

Finally, should I chance it and lock my case? I mean mine is the hard type and the lock is a combination lock and I can't see how they can destroy it because unlike a padlock, you can't just cut it.
Old 19 August 2008, 12:12 AM
lloydee
Scooby Regular

Also, I understand people saying to carry anything valuable with me in my hand carry, which I plan to do anyway. But my main concern are items I have purchased in NYC being vulnerable, such as designer clothing, expensive trainers etc
I can't exactly bring all of these onboard now can I.
Old 19 August 2008, 12:15 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

When I flew out of Sharm El ' earlier this year, the security gaurds/police were pulling people at random from the cues to go through their bags.

My mate had his key to those security locks handy, but the people who couldn't access their bags had to look on as the locks were broken or the bag was acccesed another way.
Old 19 August 2008, 12:20 AM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

My girlfriend was told to keep her suitcase unlocked when she went to Morroco in June in case of random checks. She didn't want to risk it and locked it...luckily her suitcase was fine.
Old 19 August 2008, 02:59 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I think Markus, amongst others, covered travel to the US pretty well.

I would add that, if you have a laptop in your hand luggage, take it out of it's bag and place it in it's own separate tray to go through the scanning machine. You'll need to take your shoes off as well, so they can also go through the scanner.

Another possibly useful tip...stand at the "non-US citizens" line nearest to the US citizens area at passport control/immigration. After all the US citizens have been through, they sometimes open up that side to "aliens". Saved me ages recently.

Lastly, I've travelled many times and never padlocked my cases. As mentioned before, a decent lock would indicate something worth nicking. There shouldn't be anything worth nicking in hold luggage anyway. You may never see it again for starters.
Old 19 August 2008, 10:30 AM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lloydee
Are these any good from keeping unauthorised people away form my suitcase?

Finally, should I chance it and lock my case? I mean mine is the hard type and the lock is a combination lock and I can't see how they can destroy it because unlike a padlock, you can't just cut it.
If they want to get into it to check an item, they will, end of. If it was so secure they couldn't access it at all (highly unlikely) then the case wouldn't be loaded anyway.

As for preventing unauthorised people getting access, I think you'll find that the knicking that did used to go on quite a bit was by the very people authorised to go through your bags anyway

The airports wised up to this years ago and installed CCTV etc on all the bagage lines, hence why these days you'll see comments from people like myself who travel all the time saying that they never use a lock, and never have anything go missing. As for the new clothes etc, keep the reciepts and claim on your insurance in the unlikely instace something does go walkies.

Wouldn't bother with a TSA lock of any description, anybody airside who was there to steal stuff would have a key to open TSA locks anyway.

Last edited by Nido; 19 August 2008 at 10:34 AM.