Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Women's football and the paralympics

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2008, 03:11 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Women's football and the paralympics

Just exactly what is the point and why are they (namely the BBC) wasting our time showing this stuff?

I'll tell you why a PC agenda despite almost nobody being interested.

No particular point to this just wanted to let off some steam.

I want to see the best of the best competing not people who compete according to some bizarre comparitive rating scheme because of their unfortunate disability or a bunch of butch ladies having a kick about.

.........and relax.
Old 08 August 2008, 03:24 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Agree
Old 08 August 2008, 04:05 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Yep, dull isn't it
Old 08 August 2008, 04:11 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

No one complains about Beach Vollyball though.

In fact,I don't even care who wins!...just extend the match times I say!
Old 08 August 2008, 04:12 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
Just exactly what is the point and why are they (namely the BBC) wasting our time showing this stuff?

I want to see the best of the best competing not people who compete according to some bizarre comparitive rating scheme because of their unfortunate disability or a bunch of butch ladies having a kick about.

.........and relax.
To someone in the unfortunate position of whatever disability they have, the training undertaken to compete is still a massive achievement to them though. They are the best of the best given their disability.
It might not appear that way to the able bodied or indeed those with a disability that were of a high sporting disposition pre-accident and would feel its not for them, but the commitment and dedication is no less.

Some of the paralympians are mega fit (top half) and would give anyone a run for their money in say a pub arm wrestling event. Would you turn down the offer of an arm wrestle because of his/her disability meaning they aren't what you see as 'best of the best' or maybe because you know you'd probably get beaten and wouldn't want your mates taking the rise and saying you were beaten by a person in a wheelchair?

If you look at the power and speed of the wheelchair track athletes I think it'd be safe to say you might just be quarter of the way around the track when the 'best of the best' guys finish.

Same goes for the womens football with reference to dedication and commitment.

I guess if you have no interest in watching it then press the remote.
Old 08 August 2008, 04:15 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

I misread the title....

I thought it was womens paralympics football

Apologies, now agree with Spoon
Old 08 August 2008, 04:18 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
I thought it was womens paralympics football
Paralympic football would by definition be known as handball.
Old 08 August 2008, 04:30 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Womens football is dire, but I hate football regardless

As for the paralympics, well it does have its moments of great interest. They are to be admired for their strength and drive

Old 08 August 2008, 04:37 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

womens football is gash..... but if there is a place in the world for womens football, it is in the paralympics
Old 08 August 2008, 05:29 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

To be fair though, I briefly watched USA lose to Norway and it was fairly easy on the eye. Its just that from a footy perpective, the womens game is just embarrassing.
Old 08 August 2008, 06:19 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Indeed. While other 'minority' sports with much larger followings (namely the Mountain Biking events) get zero coverage whatsoever.

I shall indeed be 'voting with my remote' for the entire fortnight (or however long it lasts)
Old 08 August 2008, 06:23 PM
A Spider from Mars
Scooby Regular

I agree with NACRO who wants to see these people wheeling around or trying to compete at some lesser version of the sport. Its very dull and pointless. Its not what I pay my licence fees for.

Paul.
Old 08 August 2008, 06:26 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

A comment saying something positive about paralympics gets a neg
Old 08 August 2008, 06:28 PM
A Spider from Mars
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=84of300;8056997]A comment saying something positive about paralympics gets a neg

But it is rubbish. And hes missing the point of this chat. Its about it being boring and a waste of time too watch. By the way how do you neg people as I cant see anything on my screen for that.

Paul.
Old 08 August 2008, 07:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a fair comment, but daring to say anything negative about the disabled, in any context will almost guarantee an infraction.

I don't particularly want to watch it but disabled people make up a fair proportion of the population and deserve some coverage like anyone else, I suppose that a lot of disabled people may not watch it either and not be arsed either but I do also think that there is some inspiration to be taken from people trying despite adversity.

Its kind of brought home to me having heard that my youngest lads friend from school who has Muscular Dystrophy is no longer able to walk at all, he struggled before but now just cant, if he takes comfort or role models from such events then I don't mind it being on telly, especially given the number of channels available and some of the other sh1te that gets airtime every day of the week, Eastenders, Big Brother and numerous tedious house programmes.
Old 08 August 2008, 08:09 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

It is a fair comment J4CKO, but everyone has their own opinions and I fail to see what is negative about giving credit to disabled people for not giving up and going for Gold
Old 08 August 2008, 08:11 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day BBC or any other channel are not there to meet the individual needs or a person, we all pay the same amount, unless the OP is specail and his like many other things he owns is gold plated

There is the option of switching over or even off and doing/ watching something else, I think it is good they show even the less popular {probably by abled bodied peoples veiws} events as all people have a right to see any event and if that is what is happening at the time then so be it, you have a choice.

When all the event you like are on the TV I bet there are alot of other people saying why are they showing the 100m after all it is only a bunch of men or women running along a straight piece of track, wheres the excitement in that....the point being every one is different.
Old 08 August 2008, 08:34 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

.........and relax.

Why are you so concerned what the BBC is showing? you spend most of the time telling us how you are far from the distasteful, carvery eating, stella drinking, football watching cess pit that is the UK. Instead enjoying the lager drinking bratwurst munching land that is Germany.

Do people monk and moan about the BBC showing horse racing where the horses are weight handicapped to ensure a close race (surely the biggest strongest bas will win no matter what pygmy it's carrying)

As has been mentioned before there is an audience for this kind of competition, just because you can't understand it doesn't mean it shouldn't be shown.

Now can someone show me how to get this hook out of my cheek, i appear to have nearly swallowed this bait.
Old 09 August 2008, 12:50 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by rob878
Why are you so concerned what the BBC is showing? you spend most of the time telling us how you are far from the distasteful, carvery eating, stella drinking, football watching cess pit that is the UK. Instead enjoying the lager drinking bratwurst munching land that is Germany.

Do people monk and moan about the BBC showing horse racing where the horses are weight handicapped to ensure a close race (surely the biggest strongest bas will win no matter what pygmy it's carrying)

That's a quality reply, and puts me in mind of this Meades commentary:

YouTube - Jonathan Meades :: Nag Nag Nag (1/3)

YouTube - Jonathan Meades :: Nag Nag Nag (2/3)

YouTube - Jonathan Meades :: Nag Nag Nag (3/3)

Old 09 August 2008, 01:58 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Old 09 August 2008, 02:01 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Its a fair comment, but daring to say anything negative about the disabled, in any context will almost guarantee an infraction.
I've posted the picture above many-a-time now but not received an infraction for it. I think it's more a case of board members people want to take offence with rather than the contents of the posts.
Old 09 August 2008, 08:17 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Originally Posted by Spoon
To someone in the unfortunate position of whatever disability they have, the training undertaken to compete is still a massive achievement to them though. They are the best of the best given their disability.
It might not appear that way to the able bodied or indeed those with a disability that were of a high sporting disposition pre-accident and would feel its not for them, but the commitment and dedication is no less.

Some of the paralympians are mega fit (top half) and would give anyone a run for their money in say a pub arm wrestling event. Would you turn down the offer of an arm wrestle because of his/her disability meaning they aren't what you see as 'best of the best' or maybe because you know you'd probably get beaten and wouldn't want your mates taking the rise and saying you were beaten by a person in a wheelchair?

If you look at the power and speed of the wheelchair track athletes I think it'd be safe to say you might just be quarter of the way around the track when the 'best of the best' guys finish.

Same goes for the womens football with reference to dedication and commitment.

I guess if you have no interest in watching it then press the remote.
Of course I will press the remote and I'm not doubting the dedication of the paralympians.

What I'm railing against here is the disproportionate coverage and emphasis given to it by the BBC in particular. In my opinion it's due to an agenda other than fulfilling it's remit as a public service broadcaster.

You have an interesting point re the wheelchair athletes. As far as I can see they should be competing in the olympics rather than some lesser 'parallel' games against other athletes without any disability in the same machines.
Old 09 August 2008, 08:27 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I've posted the picture above many-a-time now but not received an infraction for it. I think it's more a case of board members people want to take offence with rather than the contents of the posts.
Yes, I know what you mean, that is the case and NACRO is on "Infraction Watch", I suspect I could have made the same point if I wanted too (albeit more delicately perhaps) and not get infracted.

NACRO kind of ignores the "Please do not tap the glass" warning and it has the desired effect every time, I would prefer if people just tried to put forward a measured and reasoned argument to the contrary rather than just reaching for the Big Red Naughty Button.

Who knows, he may get sexual gratification from Infractions, so inadvertantly you may be bringing him off.....
Old 09 August 2008, 08:34 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Of course I will press the remote and I'm not doubting the dedication of the paralympians.

What I'm railing against here is the disproportionate coverage and emphasis given to it by the BBC in particular. In my opinion it's due to an agenda other than fulfilling it's remit as a public service broadcaster.

You have an interesting point re the wheelchair athletes. As far as I can see they should be competing in the olympics rather than some lesser 'parallel' games against other athletes without any disability in the same machines.
NACRO, that does clarify your point a lot better and I agree, the BBC do have a duty to include all sections of society but they do seem to focus on minorities, sometimes they go overboard, possibly in an attempt to look "Right On", they also seem to over cater for Black music and culture, it just feels like my grandma talking like a Yardy.

So the message here is, its not the minorities thats the issue, its the BBC, in fact as a gesture, Jo Whiley should be sacrificed forthwith to appease the public.
Old 09 August 2008, 11:29 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Agreed.

Putting able bodied athletes in the chairs too would be interesting and certainly radical. Though could you really imagine the uproar if it was suggested.

Plus, the chairs as they are wouldn't be suitable for an able bodied passenger as the leg muscle wastage/disability allows the athletes now to sit in a way an able bodied person couldn't. So what then? A redesign to make things more equal or just leave them as they are and have the able bodied athletes being left for dust no matter how much top half training they've done?

Maybe that's why there is a separate Olympics.

Last edited by Spoon; 09 August 2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Add a word.