Sets 'n Things

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2008, 11:44 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sets 'n Things

Right, this training/weights lark.

Can someone explain in simple turns what a set is/does, what effect for which & how to use etc.

I was told to do 3 sets of 6/8/10/12 whichever, so I took that to mean18/24/30/36 repetitions. So I did that for a while. Then someone said that you should reduce weights and repeat again. Then someone else said 30 sec break between sets, Then when I mentioned that to someone else they said no, do something else.

As a target, I'm looking for a bit of everything - strength, stamina, physique/bulk but could do in understanding what does what & what I should be doing!
Old 31 July 2008, 08:12 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok when i do bench press i do 5 sets in total a couple of warm up sets and 3 sets at decent weights.

1st set i bench press 10-15 times as a warm up

2nd the same but a bit heavier.

3rd x 10 repititions

4th x 8 repititions

5th x 6 repititions

Hopefully i've not come across too confusing
Old 31 July 2008, 08:25 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Ok i'll let you into something here that i've noticed whilst experimenting with weights.

Less is sometimes more - seriously i'm not joking.

I'm in and out of the gym in under an hour normally. although unlike a lot i dont **** about chit chatting, i get on with the job and get the f**k out!

Ok dont do too many exercises per bodypart. Three at most.

i.e Chest

Bench Press 5 sets

Dumbell flyes 4 sets

Crossovers or dips 4 sets.

Dont waste too much time and energy warming up what i mean is once you've warmed your chest up on the bench press you dont need loads of warm up exercises on dumbell flyes for instance.

What is important to gaining strength is train with intensity, it may sound daft but try and get into the mindset, blot the idiots chit chatting and the crap music out of your mind and just think about lifting that weight until you physically cannot lift it anymore. Take your ipod and put on some tunes youy know will get you going.

As for resting well theres no hard and fast rule, just dont be sitting 5 minutes between each set, 30 seconds to a minute or so seems about ok - really depends how tired you are.

Like a car make sure you have sufficient fuel for the journey, plenty of water and carbs beforehand otherwise you'll be f**ked within 30 minutes. i take a couple of bananas around an hour before i hit the gym and yes they really do work.

Keep your cardio separate from weights workout - ok you can do a warm up on a bike but what i mean is dont do 45 minutes on a running machine then hit the weights, do a weights day and a cardio day if you know what i mean.

Hmmm i'm sure i'll think of some more tips
Old 31 July 2008, 08:39 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

if you were doing 3 of 6/8/10/12 etc for one exercise then that is too much in my opinion, (also depends on the weights you use)

Have a look at IronMagazine Bodybuilding Forum - discuss bodybuilding & fitness there is a training section there.

To be honest there are so many different ways of doing weights that I dont think there would be enough space on the scoobynet servers.

At the moment I am doing about 4 sets of each exercise, I am starting off heavy doing probably about 6 - 8 reps, then dropping the weight and doing more reps. Sometimes that last set I will put a low weight on and do it to failure (its quite funny getting to failure doing a seated press with only 30kg )

The best way is to find a few routines you are happy with, but stick with one for a few weeks then change your routine. This basically shocks your body and prevents it from getting used to a single routine
Old 31 July 2008, 08:43 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

oh yeah, to add, diet is important as well, depending on your overall aim unless you have good genetics you wont get a mega six pack without a good diet

Jaytc2003 (I dont have a 6 pack and my genetics are bobbins so why do I bother)
Old 31 July 2008, 09:06 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
oh yeah, to add, diet is important as well, depending on your overall aim unless you have good genetics you wont get a mega six pack without a good diet

Jaytc2003 (I dont have a 6 pack and my genetics are bobbins so why do I bother)
Dont worry i'm an out and out fat **** - but i do try
Old 31 July 2008, 10:31 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, that's really useful

What about different methods & what does what?

Trending Topics

Old 31 July 2008, 10:36 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Right, this training/weights lark.

Can someone explain in simple turns what a set is/does, what effect for which & how to use etc.

I was told to do 3 sets of 6/8/10/12 whichever, so I took that to mean18/24/30/36 repetitions. So I did that for a while. Then someone said that you should reduce weights and repeat again. Then someone else said 30 sec break between sets, Then when I mentioned that to someone else they said no, do something else.

As a target, I'm looking for a bit of everything - strength, stamina, physique/bulk but could do in understanding what does what & what I should be doing!
James

it used to be a general rule of thumb that lots of reps at light weight promote stamina, few reps at high weight (to failure) promote strength and something in the middle promotes a bit of both with bulk.

Its probably fair to say that what works for someone, may not work for someone else, depending on your genetics.

The number of sets dictates the number of rest periods. The number of reps and the weight dictate the workload on the muscle groups. The rest between sets lets you increase that workload in one sitting.

You're a slim guy - I suspect strength and tone will be your best gains
Old 31 July 2008, 11:15 AM
HPLovecraft
Scooby Regular

A bit of everything ? - HST (link below) uses blocks of 15, 10, and 5 reps and gives good structure to your training - you know just how many sets and reps you will be doing each session. I've been doing it for a while now with good results.

Hypertrophy-Specific Training : : Official Home of HST
Old 31 July 2008, 11:33 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Dont worry i'm an out and out fat **** - but i do try
me too, went from over 19stone last year to 16st then in the past 6 weeks gone to over 17st again
Old 31 July 2008, 11:36 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HPLovecraft
A bit of everything ? - HST (link below) uses blocks of 15, 10, and 5 reps and gives good structure to your training - you know just how many sets and reps you will be doing each session. I've been doing it for a while now with good results.

Hypertrophy-Specific Training : : Official Home of HST
interesting reading (gotta do something at work)

Bet Boris isnt natural though