Anyone else had a Paypal temporary hold and investigation

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2008, 08:59 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else had a Paypal temporary hold and investigation

Basically

im selling something on ebay, and ive had a buyer (user with zero feedback) and they have paid by paypal, and now Paypal have sent me an email, saying they are investigating

Ive logged into Paypal and there is this

Resolution Centre – Case Reversal Details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This payment has been selected for review and we have opened an investigation.

We suspect that this transaction may not have been authorised by the PayPal account holder.

We have placed a temporary hold on the funds until the investigation is complete.

Please provide some additional information about this transaction.

Response deadline: 5 Aug. 2008

Now they have asked for some additional information, but there is nothing to do except resolve the case or return to resolution centre, so I dont know what info they need, as they havent asked for any, except to say I need to provide some

My guess its quite possibly a hacked paypal account, and Paypal have urged I dont send the goods just yet

FWIW its a Laptop (value 300 quid)
Old 29 July 2008, 09:41 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Its happened to me a couple of times steve. Don't send it until PayPal clear it or the chances are you will lose out, as seller protection is a joke.

This happened to me with a car park pass for the grand prix; although I had a signed proof of delivery, the buyer initiated a charge-back on his credit card and I lost the money.
Old 29 July 2008, 09:52 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Definately don't send it, I got this message after i'd already sent an Ipod Touch out to the buyer. I lost the Ipod and the money.
As RRH says, the seller protections is crap.

My buyer had been filling their account with money from Ebay sales they'd made (only they never sent any goods out). They then used this money to buy my Ipod and various other items from sellers on Ebay before disappearing.

I ended up wasting another £100 through the courts before giving up as the bailiffs couldn't find them or any or their property at their registered address.

Now, I always cross check Paypal and Ebay details with 192.com and will not send out goods to a buyer without proper contact details. I also no longer send stuff out "urgent" as this was how my buyer stung me.

Ebay and Paypal do not give a stuff about sellers losing out
Old 29 July 2008, 09:54 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this a few years back, turned out it was a hacked paypal account. Thankfully I hadn't sent the goods otherwise I would have lost all of the money.
Old 29 July 2008, 09:58 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

oh yes, thanks to you
Old 29 July 2008, 09:59 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

whats going on with the clock on here? I just posted a message and its put it half way up the thread!!
Old 29 July 2008, 10:12 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

User has no feedback, only registered yesterday, and has an address in London, but their first name is sh.

email is hotmail, and they sent me a message asking could I use parcel force or royal mail as they can collect that from local depots, spelling is a bit iffy too though

Ive rejected their payment on ebay (only now I cant re-sell the item until the dispute is over) and have tried to report them to ebay to investigate

The strange thing is Paypal have said I need to give them information, but the only thing I can do is click on resolve dispute ? which it doesnt actually state that this does

Im not sending any goods out, as it is more than likely a dodgy person, and im not losing that money, its needed for other things
Old 29 July 2008, 10:28 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

You can relist it, just copy and paste the other auction rather than using the 'relist' option. You'll have to take the fees on the chin, but you're fortunate that you haven't lost the laptop.

In the meantime, you could, if feeling real generous, offer the buyer the option to send a bank transfer.

Unfortunately laptops always seem to attract the scammers on ebay

HTH

simon
Old 29 July 2008, 10:41 PM
wagrain
Scooby Regular

Angry

Had the same thing with a brand new mobile I sold via ebay, the guy paid instantly via PayPal. I thought the buyer suspicious but before I could do anything PayPal did a hold on the payment as baing fraudulant. After a week they cancelled the payment (though they did keep their fee out of the buyers money) and I still have my mobile to sell. Just in the process of claiming my final value fee back before I can relist it.

The same buyer has been on a spending spree since buying from me and it would appear other sellers have not been so lucky . . . after receiving payment and then posting, the payment has been cancelled and they (the sellers) are out of pocket.

But with ebay's current policy, they can't give him a negative, just a positive but with negative wording to try and warn others. He wants banning but ebay don't want to know!

Beware of "khanlatif08" if you're an ebay seller!

Waggy
Old 29 July 2008, 11:40 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Cheers Simon

Yeah I did sort of expect it with a Laptop, currently have two on there for sale

I think I will change my buyer options to needing feedback before bidding

I have messaged the use back, saying cash will be acceptable

Hope your getting somewhere with your own investigations