Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mankind to return to the moon?

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2008, 07:29 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mankind to return to the moon?

Just saw on the news that NASA has announced on its 50th anniversary that it is planning to return to the moon in the near future.

Is it a worthwhile endeavour? I like to think so, not only does it represent the height of human acheivement, but the astronauts themselves need to be brave beyond belief.

Do you think it will happen?
astraboy.
Old 29 July 2008, 07:32 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

I would love to see this happen again, but as the world today is run by accountants I cant see it happening.

Shame!
Old 29 July 2008, 07:51 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Imagine the fuel bill if it's going to be a derv rocket

Can it really be justified with so many people who don't even have enough food or clean water to just exist?
Old 29 July 2008, 07:53 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

You cannot return to somewhere to which you have never been...

Man may make a historic first lunar landing in the future yes... I am sure it is possible these days.
Old 29 July 2008, 07:56 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Can it really be justified with so many people who don't even have enough food or clean water to just exist?
Of course it can.
Old 29 July 2008, 08:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the problem is that, it isn't actually a very interesting place, an amazing achievement but its not made of cheese and there are no clangers.
Old 30 July 2008, 12:38 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

and it isnt green

I would like to see them go there (again)
Old 30 July 2008, 01:30 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
You cannot return to somewhere to which you have never been...

Man may make a historic first lunar landing in the future yes... I am sure it is possible these days.

You do know we have been there already? Several times in fact. I hope you are not one of these losers who thinks it was all fake.
Old 30 July 2008, 04:21 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth

You do know we have been there already? Several times in fact. I hope you are not one of these losers who thinks it was all fake.

Can you prove it?
Old 30 July 2008, 08:10 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by angrynorth

Don't tell me, you've seen the pictures right? Oh well, it must be real then

Oh and I counter your "loser" insult by calling you a "gibbon" for believing it to be real. You "gibbon".
Old 30 July 2008, 08:51 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I love moon landing threads. It's like standing in a room. And in it are loads of people that you have never met, so you have no idea about them at all.
When people enter the room they pick up one of two badges, one says " I am a well adjusted normal person, I am of average or above intelligence" and the other one says "I beleive the moon landings were fake, my intelligence is around the same level as Pamela Andersons left knocker"

And you know immediately whether you can discount anything they ever have an opinon on ever as being utter tripe

Old 30 July 2008, 08:55 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I corrected your three minor errors Pete.

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
I love moon landing threads. It's like standing in a room. And in it are loads of people that you have never met, so you have no idea about them at all.
When people enter the room they pick up one of two badges, one says " I am a well adjusted normal person, I am of average or above intelligence" and the other one says "I believe the moon landings were real, my intelligence is around the same level as Pamela Andersons left knocker"

And you know immediately whether you can discount anything they ever have an opinion on ever as being utter tripe

Old 30 July 2008, 08:59 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Landing on the moon (again) would be beneficial for a number of reasons. The first is to act as a staging post for missions to Mars and the second is for permenant siting of telescopes on the dark side of the moon giving us views of the universe that we can't get today even with hubble etc.
Old 30 July 2008, 09:01 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
I corrected your three minor errors Pete.
Er.. thanks!
Old 30 July 2008, 09:02 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

When people enter the room they pick up one of two badges, one says " I am a well adjusted normal person, I am of average or above intelligence" and the other one says "I beleive the moon landings were fake, my intelligence is around the same level as Pamela Andersons left knocker"

And you know immediately whether you can discount anything they ever have an opinon on ever as being utter tripe

Perfect, I can use responses to this to justify hiting the ignore user button
Old 30 July 2008, 11:11 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

When they can invent a space ship & space suit that can stop radiation, then we might get to the moon.

Just going through the Van Allen belt would fry a man. Yet all those that "have been" to the moon are all in good health.

If ever world war 3 breaks out, I'll get myself a space suit. Radiation? What radiation?

You have to remember that we are protected by the Suns radiation by Earths protective layers. Without them we'd all fry. You can still even get skin cancer from the Suns rays now. Yet venturing out of the Earths protection, all you need is 2mm Aluminium and a paper thin space suit.

All space shuttle missions are all within Earths protective layers. Not once to they venture beyond.
Old 30 July 2008, 11:21 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Somebody with Search ought to dig out the thread from about three years ago about this. Does Carl still post these days?

My overriding thought is - why bother? We know there's nothing up there, why prove you have the technical ability to repeat something done forty years ago?

And why does Richard Branson think space travel is so essential for the continued existence of mankind, apart from selling some ridiculously expensive seats on his Space plane of course. Clearly it isn't essential or anything like it.
Old 30 July 2008, 11:25 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Can you prove it?

To cut a potentially very very long conversation short, no, he can't.

The ONLY thing that you can point towards is the integrity of the astronauts. Unless they were literally brainwashed, i cannot believe that if it was a hoax, not one single one of them would have sold up for what would be the biggest payday in humankind's history in all probability, if only to donate it to charity if the Mafia or the FBI were the life-long threat against disclosure.

Every other aspect of the moon landings could have beeen faked, beyond question.
Old 30 July 2008, 11:25 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
My overriding thought is - why bother? We know there's nothing up there, why prove you have the technical ability to repeat something done forty years ago?
I think the plan is to use it as a staging station for any attempted Mars landing

And why does Richard Branson think space travel is so essential for the continued existence of mankind, apart from selling some ridiculously expensive seats on his Space plane of course. Clearly it isn't essential or anything like it.
Well it is advances like these that bring space travel to the masses. For example, flights to Australia from Heathrow that take a couple of hours and so on.

It's the knock on effect of technological advances sometimes, not the actual advance itself.
Old 30 July 2008, 11:27 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Perhaps, Peter, but it's a damned expensive way to develop technological advances, moreso today than it ever was in the 60s. And why do we need to go to Mars in any case? There's nothing there either!!
Old 30 July 2008, 11:27 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
When they can invent a space ship & space suit that can stop radiation, then we might get to the moon.

Just going through the Van Allen belt would fry a man. Yet all those that "have been" to the moon are all in good health.

If ever world war 3 breaks out, I'll get myself a space suit. Radiation? What radiation?

You have to remember that we are protected by the Suns radiation by Earths protective layers. Without them we'd all fry. You can still even get skin cancer from the Suns rays now. Yet venturing out of the Earths protection, all you need is 2mm Aluminium and a paper thin space suit.

All space shuttle missions are all within Earths protective layers. Not once to they venture beyond.
Clavius: Environment - radiation and the van allen belts read, learn, inwardly digest!
Old 30 July 2008, 11:32 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

To cut a potentially very very long conversation short, no, he can't.

The ONLY thing that you can point towards is the integrity of the astronauts. Unless they were literally brainwashed, i cannot believe that if it was a hoax, not one single one of them would have sold up for what would be the biggest payday in humankind's history in all probability, if only to donate it to charity if the Mafia or the FBI were the life-long threat against disclosure.

Every other aspect of the moon landings could have beeen faked, beyond question.
It's not just the astronauts. It would be every single person involved in any "hoax" project.

Not just the once of course, but on all six journeys. And then of course you would have to fake disaster with apollo 13. Plus the orbit journies they did before hand.

I find it nothing less than comical that people can possibly believe they are faked.

Its in the same ball park as believing the US government brought down the two towers.
Old 30 July 2008, 11:34 AM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

"But the US flag was flying, this is impossible as there is no wind on the..."

STFU
Old 30 July 2008, 11:34 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Perhaps, Peter, but it's a damned expensive way to develop technological advances, moreso today than it ever was in the 60s. And why do we need to go to Mars in any case? There's nothing there either!!
Because of endevour. Blimey not a mountaineer are you?

There will be countless technological advances as a result of a trip to Mars.
Old 30 July 2008, 11:36 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

You say that but the actual number of people it would have taken to be "in the know" was much smaller than you might imagine. Plus you then have all the doubters saying Apollo 13 was staged to revitalise interest in the programme to ensure funding (even though the programme was in fact cut short in any case). And so it goes on. I'm not really a conspiracist, but we can't ever imagine the pressures there were on the USA to outdo Russia in those days, Cuban missile crisis etc etc. Stranger things have happened...
Old 30 July 2008, 11:41 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

You say that but the actual number of people it would have taken to be "in the know" was much smaller than you might imagine. Plus you then have all the doubters saying Apollo 13 was staged to revitalise interest in the programme to ensure funding (even though the programme was in fact cut short in any case). And so it goes on. I'm not really a conspiracist, but we can't ever imagine the pressures there were on the USA to outdo Russia in those days, Cuban missile crisis etc etc.
You've been watching Capricorn One

Stranger things have happened...

If you know of something stranger than the US moon landing being faked to the world 6 times, and a disaster being thrown in for good meaure and the secret being kept for 40 years then I want to hear about it.
Old 30 July 2008, 11:44 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I find it nothing less than comical that people can possibly believe they are faked.

Its in the same ball park as believing the US government brought down the two towers.
Clearly. If it were true, it would have been proved by now that it was all a big hoax and these "facts" wouldn't be relegated to hour long conspiracy theory programs.

And if the towers were faked to give a reason for bombing the middle east country of choice, I await the nuclear bomb explosion that gives the US justification to invade Iran.
Old 30 July 2008, 11:45 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

It's not just the astronauts. It would be every single person involved in any "hoax" project.

Not just the once of course, but on all six journeys. And then of course you would have to fake disaster with apollo 13. Plus the orbit journies they did before hand.

Not to mention the US was in a space race with Russia at the time, they were monitoring matters very closely. If they thought there was even the slightest chance the US didn't go to the moon they'd have been the first to be shouting about it.
Old 30 July 2008, 11:50 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Oh come along, you're behind in your conspiracy theory! The rockets were launched, but were unmanned, alleviating the dangers of radiation and the risks of actually putting the Lunar Module down. Even the Americans weren't stupid enough to think the Ruskies wouldn't be tracking the Saturn 5s!

Quick Reply: Mankind to return to the moon?