Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Shares.Bargain?

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2008, 11:46 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shares.Bargain?

Barclays shares at about £3.lots of building companies in the pennies now.

I know it is a bad time for builders and (I suppose) the risk is they could go kaput.But these bank shares look cheap to me??

Is it still daft to buy now? I am really tempted I must say.Even if it was only a couple of hundred quid and just sit on them for a while(can you spend that little on shares? )

I know I have sniggered at the stock markets demise but are we at a low point now?
Old 29 July 2008, 03:50 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The big banks will still recover similar with some of the big housing companies, Its not like it was when northern rock were going under so I think its well worth a punt if you can afford to loose the cash
Old 29 July 2008, 03:58 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

3 pound is still along way to fall should it choose to! as it happens i know nothing about barclays though! my old mans been trading worworths latley! so ask your self the usual questions! if your having to ask your anylisis may need some work!
the thing is mate nobody truley knows and if we did we would all be on it!
the markets take no prisinors man! they bite very hard! i have an interest in stocks because of my dad but i dont know enough to get involved as yet! im gonna be in it to win it when i have finally learnt all this ****
Old 29 July 2008, 04:12 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I don't think banks have hit anywhere near the bottom yet and will not be buying yet. If every single poster in a thread laughs at you for suggesting buying banks, then consider buying.
Old 29 July 2008, 04:17 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Personally I don't think banks have hit anywhere near the bottom yet and will not be buying yet. If every single poster in a thread laughs at you for suggesting buying banks, then consider buying.
that the scoobynet way tho usually,if everybody says one thing do the opposite and you'll be fine
Old 29 July 2008, 05:41 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

Ive just looked at it for a bit, i wouldnt buy! but as i said before i know **** all! like the rest of um
Old 29 July 2008, 06:59 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

A few thoughts:

Depends if you're in it for the long term, or hoping for short term gains.

You buy BARC at £3. In 6 months time others are buying at £2. They will sell before they get back to £3 to make a healthy 50% return. You might not see £3 for quite a while.

If you'd bought Taylor Wimpey three weeks ago for 25p, would you have sold at 50p and taken a profit? Or would you hold on for bigger gains?

If you invest a couple of hundred and double your money (difficult when dealing costs and duty are factored in) is it going to change your life?

Good luck whatever you decide.

Speedking (Holder of both the abovementioned shares)
Old 29 July 2008, 07:30 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Stock markets usually over-react on good , or bad , news. Bank shares have lost most of whatever value they are going to lose, so they might be worth a punt. Just don't expect toget rich within a year. For that, you need obscure mining stocks...
Old 29 July 2008, 10:06 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a look at the bank share dividend yield - Lloyds is 11% and HBOS is 18%, way above any interest rate you'll get from a bank. Good divi yield and a decent chance the price will recover, good value just now.
Old 29 July 2008, 10:43 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The dividend isn't much use if it is not sustainable and you lose capital value to boot.
Old 29 July 2008, 11:00 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

The Banks are sitting on a possible £20 Billion hit if the appeal ruling holds on unfair charges ...... £3 may look very expensive then, doesn't matter one jot that the divi 'was' giving you a 15% return when half your capital has disappeared!!
Old 29 July 2008, 11:33 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very true, but no-one has never made a killing in investment by not taking a risk.
Old 30 July 2008, 11:01 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

... and many more people taking high risks have lost their shirts. I'm willing to take a calculated risk, but my calculator shows an error on banks at present

Lloyds profits have dropped 70% although they've increased their dividend Lloyds TSB profits plunge 70% | Business | guardian.co.uk
Old 30 July 2008, 11:24 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I used to work for Taylor Wimpey and had a sharesave scheme with them. When it finally matured I was allowed to get my shares at the priviledged rate of....... 239p a share!!
Just sitting on them now & bought a load more to lower my average share price.