Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Free stuff, special offers, or just plain scams?

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2008, 02:24 AM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Free stuff, special offers, or just plain scams?

Cutting a long story short, I've buggered my ipod so I'm now looking for a new one. I done a google search and (christ knows how I managed to come across this) came across a FREE ipod nano in Edinburgh; a woman was giving her son's ipod nano because he had just got an ipod touch. It's one of the freecycle groups, they're all up and down the uk, apparently. Anyway, I thought 'whats the harm in emailing'. So I noted my interest and got this back:
Sent: 28 July 2008 08:44
To: XXXXXXX.XXXXXX@yahoo.com
Subject: [FreeCycle] Offer: iPod Nano, Silver

Hi there, I'm so sorry but have had lots of interest in the iPod and it went to first person who sent me a message.

If you still want one, you may be interested to know that I got my son's new iPod totally ***FREE***.

All I had to do was go towww.apple.freebiejeebies.co.uk and sign up and complete just one offer.

I would recommend the LOVEFiLM DVD rental trial, which is totally FREE. Not bad to get an iPod! All of the offer companies are well known so there is no risk involved; give it a go, don't miss out. I was a sceptic once but now I am SO glad I gave it a chance. BBC's Newsnight even approved this system on their programme a while back!

Your item will be shipped from Amazon straight to your door. They don't even charge for shipping.

Hope this helps,

Melinda
X

Right, I know I can be a bit of a fanny at times. But I'm honestly not that much of a gullible cow. I've had a few drinks tonight so thought I'd email back:

From: Claire xxxxxxxxx [mailto:clairexxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 29 July 2008 01:02
To: 'Melinda Rxxxxy'
Subject: RE: [FreeCycle] Offer: iPod Nano, Silver

Sorry Melinda, I kind of figured a free ipod nano was too good to be true. Even I wouldn’t be that much of a dick to just give one away for free, regardless how nice and generous and ****ing well thoughtful I am. I know I was a fanny to break my pod in the first place, but in all fairness, a can of red bull exploded in my bag at T in the Park. Not my fault.

Anyway, I’ve googled freebiejeebies.com or whatever the **** it’s called. I’m sorry sweetheart, but it seems like it’s some sort of ploy to lure dim, credulous fools to sign up to some sort of mailing list where the owners of ‘freebiejeebies’ get some sort of reward by meeting a quota on the amount of brainless arseholes they manage to tempt into it, only by baiting them with the latest gaming consoles and **** like that.

Do I sound like an arsehole to you? Really? Honestly?

So who is it you work for then? Lovefilm or freebiejeebies? I must apologise, but I’ve had two bottles of wine tonight so find it a bit difficult to make my mind up. Regardless of who it is you work for, I think you are a ****ing **** end!

I wonder what Lovefilm would make of you using ****ty tactics like this to lure in customers. In fact, I might even forward this email to as many daily tabloids as I can, just to be a cvnt.

And no, it’s not my time of month. You’ve just caught me on a bad day.

Still awaiting reply.

Last edited by eClaire; 29 July 2008 at 02:56 AM.
Old 29 July 2008, 02:34 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Echo
Old 29 July 2008, 02:42 AM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Friggin wibbles. This is the proper thread
Old 29 July 2008, 02:49 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

lol great reply

but it aint a scam its like a kind of referal scheme i know a lad who got a ps3 from it but it took a while. i think they work like a pyramid system
Old 29 July 2008, 02:53 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'd lay off the wine before emailing people And sign up to it with hundreds of fake email addresses
Old 29 July 2008, 03:30 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Somethings just clicked in this fuzzy old head of mine.

[early hours boring anecdote mode=ON]

I have an annoying mate (I use the term "mate" loosely - He's actually a nutcase, lost his marbles and aggrophobic - caused by paranoia that the painkillers for his none existant knee problem have damaged his nerves - long story, he's also the most annoying pedantic, tight-arsed self-proclaimed know-it-all I have ever met - including the egos I find on forums such as Scoobynet ).

Anyhoo, last few times I've seen him, he was VERY insistant that I signed up to this love film rental lark. Say its this and that, costs this, if you cancel its cost you nowt etc.

Fact is I can't be arsed - I don't have the attention span to watch films on a regular basis, that added with getting crontrol of the TV for any period and me being awake enough not to fall asleep means it would be wasted. Plus I'd forget to cancel the subs and post back the DVDs etc.

Well, he wouldn't have it (not unsual for him, but still, I was wondering why I had a blabbering sales-advert sat next to me).

It now becomes clear....he was after his iPod - figures

[early hours boring anecdote mode=OFF]

Now excuse me whilst I trip out to some massive attack

Last edited by Shark Man; 29 July 2008 at 04:01 AM.
Old 29 July 2008, 10:26 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by eClaire
Cutting a long story short, I've buggered my ipod so I'm now looking for a new one. I done a google search and (christ knows how I managed to come across this) came across a FREE ipod nano in Edinburgh; a woman was giving her son's ipod nano because he had just got an ipod touch. It's one of the freecycle groups, they're all up and down the uk, apparently. Anyway, I thought 'whats the harm in emailing'. So I noted my interest and got this back:
Sent: 28 July 2008 08:44
To: XXXXXXX.XXXXXX@yahoo.com
Subject: [FreeCycle] Offer: iPod Nano, Silver

Hi there, I'm so sorry but have had lots of interest in the iPod and it went to first person who sent me a message.

If you still want one, you may be interested to know that I got my son's new iPod totally ***FREE***.

All I had to do was go towww.apple.freebiejeebies.co.uk and sign up and complete just one offer.

I would recommend the LOVEFiLM DVD rental trial, which is totally FREE. Not bad to get an iPod! All of the offer companies are well known so there is no risk involved; give it a go, don't miss out. I was a sceptic once but now I am SO glad I gave it a chance. BBC's Newsnight even approved this system on their programme a while back!

Your item will be shipped from Amazon straight to your door. They don't even charge for shipping.

Hope this helps,

Melinda
X

Right, I know I can be a bit of a fanny at times. But I'm honestly not that much of a gullible cow. I've had a few drinks tonight so thought I'd email back:

From: Claire xxxxxxxxx [mailto:clairexxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 29 July 2008 01:02
To: 'Melinda Rxxxxy'
Subject: RE: [FreeCycle] Offer: iPod Nano, Silver

Sorry Melinda, I kind of figured a free ipod nano was too good to be true. Even I wouldn’t be that much of a dick to just give one away for free, regardless how nice and generous and ****ing well thoughtful I am. I know I was a fanny to break my pod in the first place, but in all fairness, a can of red bull exploded in my bag at T in the Park. Not my fault.

Anyway, I’ve googled freebiejeebies.com or whatever the **** it’s called. I’m sorry sweetheart, but it seems like it’s some sort of ploy to lure dim, credulous fools to sign up to some sort of mailing list where the owners of ‘freebiejeebies’ get some sort of reward by meeting a quota on the amount of brainless arseholes they manage to tempt into it, only by baiting them with the latest gaming consoles and **** like that.

Do I sound like an arsehole to you? Really? Honestly?

So who is it you work for then? Lovefilm or freebiejeebies? I must apologise, but I’ve had two bottles of wine tonight so find it a bit difficult to make my mind up. Regardless of who it is you work for, I think you are a ****ing **** end!

I wonder what Lovefilm would make of you using ****ty tactics like this to lure in customers. In fact, I might even forward this email to as many daily tabloids as I can, just to be a cvnt.

And no, it’s not my time of month. You’ve just caught me on a bad day.

Still awaiting reply.
No wonder you sounded rough this morning

I've sorted the ipod problem ............ again
Old 29 July 2008, 11:13 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

In the other thread you had only had a bottle and a half of wine

I don't feel so guilty myself now (though I could only manage a bottle before my bed was beckoning)
Old 29 July 2008, 11:24 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Blimey - you'd have made a great dictator in a different life!

Your email back to her was offensive in the extreme. and all because you were being a tight wad looking for something for free. Hmmmm. I agree with the sentiment of your post, but the way you communicated it was unnecessarily anti-social.

Perhaps the solution is to spend less on wine and to use that cash on a new Ipod instead?
Old 29 July 2008, 11:30 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
No wonder you sounded rough this morning

I've sorted the ipod problem ............ again
Claire sounded rough? The little ****** kept me awake until half three, I feel shattered. Next time, you can talk to her at that time of the morning

I think I deserve an iPod as payment for my services.
Old 29 July 2008, 11:43 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Claire sounded rough? The little ****** kept me awake until half three, I feel shattered. Next time, you can talk to her at that time of the morning

I think I deserve an iPod as payment for my services.
Thats why i turn my phones off at night

You can have her old ipod
Old 29 July 2008, 01:49 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

It doesn't take long to have gone from drinking one and a half bottles of wine to two!

Gordo, I've done a search on the email address and it's popped up quite frequently for stuff like this and what seemed like scams. It disgruntled me somewhat. I'm normally quite a nice lass!

Ste and John. Stop bitching.

How is the ipod problem sorted? You bought another merc?
Old 29 July 2008, 02:01 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by eClaire

How is the ipod problem sorted? You bought another merc?
I'll tell you over a bottle of wine tonight
Old 29 July 2008, 02:07 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Old 29 July 2008, 02:10 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Simon, how comes there's a GC8WRX on here too now? What's the significance of the GC8 bit? Or is it an admirer?
Old 29 July 2008, 02:16 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Maybe he owns a GC8 WRX impreza?

<checks tag on underwear>

My name's not Simon, is it?
Old 29 July 2008, 02:16 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Nothing to do with me Tel: perhaps he wanted 'GC8' but had to settle for 'GC8WRX'?
Old 29 July 2008, 02:18 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

That has to be the most bland, insipid reply that I have ever posted. Apologies.
Old 29 July 2008, 02:18 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Is it YOU, Ali?

What does GC8 stand for then, i honestly have no idea!
Old 29 July 2008, 02:19 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by GC8
That has to be the most bland, insipid reply that I have ever posted. Apologies.
I'm glad YOU said it
Old 29 July 2008, 02:21 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Is it YOU, Ali?

What does GC8 stand for then, i honestly have no idea!
No its not me, I'm just butttng my nose in for the hell of it

GC8 is the model code for a classic shape Impreza
Old 29 July 2008, 02:23 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Oh

I knew that really
Old 29 July 2008, 02:24 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Typical pyramid scam deal here. You recommend Site X to a certain number of people, and when they sign up they use you as the referrer and when you reach the magic number of referrals, you get your "free" iPod. It's all total and complete bollocks.
Old 29 July 2008, 02:24 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I missed the obvious there. GC8 is the chassis prefix (all Japanese manufacturers use prefixes to identify models) for a Classic 2000cc Saloon. The Classic SportsWagon was a GF8, New Age 'Wagons GGA & GGB (WRX & STI) etc.

Simon
Old 29 July 2008, 02:32 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior