Planning permission?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2008, 10:25 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning permission?

Any experts on here?

Our neighbours are currently converting their garage into a sun room, replacing the old doors with french doors with windows each side.
This is not a new property, it is at least 150 years old and in a conservation area.
The garage is attached to the back of their house by a run of narrow out buildings. The new glass doors now face directly at our bedroom window, where we had full privacy before.
As far as I can see you do not need planning permission to convert a garage, but would any of the points above make it necessary?
I don't want to fall out with the neighbours if they are within the law, and we are trying to sell ATM, although that could take years.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 28 July 2008, 10:29 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

It comes under the "change of use" bit...

some searching reveals:

Garage Conversions UK, Convert a Garage to a Living Room

Generally speaking planning permission is not required for a Garage Conversion if the following apply:

No additional volume is created.

If the garage will increase in volume then it is treated as an extension if it is within 5 metres of your house.
NOTE: Sometimes Permitted Development Rights have been removed from some properties with regard to garage conversions and therefore you should check with the Local Planning Authority first.

Removal of Permitted Development Rights

The Council my have removed some of these Permitted Development Rights for certain dwellings e.g. in newer housing developments, in Conservation Areas or for barn conversions. This will require you to submit a planning application for developments, which normally does not need one, but you will not be required to pay a fee. You can check with the Local Planning Authority to find out if your house is affected by the removal of any such condition.

and:
Garage Conversions UK, Convert a Garage to a Living Room

Garage conversions require a Building Regulation application i.e. a Full Plans application or Building Notice submission, where the intention is to provide:

An extra bedroom
A bathroom or en-suite
A playroom
A study/office
Kitchen/dining extension
Old 28 July 2008, 10:42 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Thanks Kieran

I came across the first article, but not the second.

I will have to ring our council? and ask for advice on this one.
Old 28 July 2008, 10:47 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

You should ask about it. I asked friends at my local Council about a similar issue (we were converting our integrated garage) and there are a bunch of issues with that. We got by them as it was a new build and all the insulation / water proofing had been done anyway.

That and the fact that the builders screwed up so much with the house they did the whole conversion themselves for free.

I think with everything it's going to be the conservation area that will sting them.
Old 28 July 2008, 11:08 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

you should also measure the distance between your windows and their new doors. if it's more than 15metres, the planners are unlikely to see that as a problem

you could always call your local planning authority anonymously and speak to the enforcement department about "unauthorised development" as that's what this amounts to. worst case, from your point of view, the planners will ask for an application (+ a conservation area appn) and it may be approved, but at least you will be able to voice your concerns
Old 29 July 2008, 01:11 AM
miff13
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
You should ask about it. I asked friends at my local Council about a similar issue (we were converting our integrated garage) and there are a bunch of issues with that. We got by them as it was a new build and all the insulation / water proofing had been done anyway.

That and the fact that the builders screwed up so much with the house they did the whole conversion themselves for free.

I think with everything it's going to be the conservation area that will sting them.
Conservation area consent is only required when you demolish a building (or a substantial part of it).

Waverley Borough Council - Conservation Areas
Old 29 July 2008, 08:30 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

I would ring your council, if the property is in a conservation area then they would need planning permission to install the doors. Usually they would have to provide elevation drawwings and full details on the materials they would be using. This is standard pratice to my knowledge in all conservation areas.

Also if they are changing the garage into a room it will require buidling regulations. Mention this to the planners when you ring them.

chop
Old 29 July 2008, 10:35 AM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Thanks all