TV shows criticised over stereotyping

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2008, 12:58 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up TV shows criticised over stereotyping

Shows criticised over stereotyping - Yahoo! TV UK

Viewers cited Asian corner shop owner Dev in Coronation Street and black single mother Denise, who had two children by two different fathers in EastEnders, as examples of stereotyping and tokenism in soaps.

Outstanding LMFAO!

It fails to mention that 90% of the cast are scumbag chavs, drunks, druggies, thieves, adulterers, criminals, etc. - alll whitie BTW

it seems sterreotyping is only allowed for some then

Last edited by The Zohan; 17 July 2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 17 July 2008, 05:35 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

unfortunatly in our society the minority is pampered too so the majority suffer
Old 17 July 2008, 05:44 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood

Viewers cited Asian corner shop owner Dev in Coronation Street and black single mother Denise, who had two children by two different fathers in EastEnders, as examples of stereotyping and tokenism in soaps.

Outstanding LMFAO!

It fails to mention that 90% of the cast are scumbag chavs, drunks, druggies, thieves, adulterers, criminals, etc. - alll whitie BTW

So there are no Asian corner shop owners or black single mothers??

Every corner shop within a 2 mile radius of my office is owned and run by persons of Asian descent.

Yet more fecking gay liberalism and tossing political correctness.

Incidentally, did you see that Cars Cops and Criminals programme on TV last night? I'm not saying the police target black and asian people, but
Old 17 July 2008, 05:51 PM
New_scooby_04

Outstanding LMFAO!

"Take this honky outside and waste him!"

Old 17 July 2008, 06:05 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Incidentally, did you see that Cars Cops and Criminals programme on TV last night? I'm not saying the police target black and asian people, but
As most of the intercepts were from ANPR 'hits'... the colour/race of the driver wasn't the reason for targetting... it was just a 'coincidence' that the majority of cars that were illegal/stolen/knackered/iffy and detected as suspect by ANPR were being driven by drivers of ethnic origin...
Old 17 July 2008, 06:24 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Spot on Paul H. I noticed a scruffy gentleman on Eastenders who was without employment and who chose to spend much of his day in front of the television watching documentaries and going to the public house for alcoholic liquidation.
I complained to the BBC because not all men spend their days doing what he does and I felt stereotyped as a result.

Well actually I didnt complain to anyone, nor did I expect a pressure group or study to either. Why? because I am not a t1t nor a member of a collective group of t1ts. That's why....
Old 17 July 2008, 06:29 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
"Take this honky outside and waste him!"

Live and Let Die?
Old 17 July 2008, 06:34 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

LOL.

Dev has got to be the worst character and the worst actor in that programme.

He just shouts.

How many corner shops in the UK have white owners other than Turks, that seem to have the monopoly in N London???
Old 18 July 2008, 07:21 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hutton_d
The one that gets me is the Cbeebies show, Balamory. Set on "the fictional small island community of Balamory in Scotland". There are more non-whites than whites in it. Now that is pampering to minorities!

Dave
Totally agree. Josie Jump is very fit though!
Old 18 July 2008, 12:02 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

is this more cr@p from the fabian society?
Old 18 July 2008, 12:46 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Apparently the Vicar of Dibley is 'all white'. FFS it's set in a small English village; most English 'villages' out in the sticks are still all white. What's the problem? The problem would be if they did show black/brown people.
The one that gets me is the Cbeebies show, Balamory. Set on "the fictional small island community of Balamory in Scotland". There are more non-whites than whites in it. Now that is pampering to minorities!

Dave
I've noticed that too - soooo unlike in a small village, particulary in Scotland.
I've even stopped watching it.

edited to add, according to a quick Google, the Isle of Mull, where I believe it is filmed, has a BME population of around 0.1%. So they're shipping them in from the mainland - how 'green' is that (for those without little 'uns, CBeebies has got a serious green agenda at the moment.

Last edited by pwhittle; 18 July 2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 18 July 2008, 12:50 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Maybe they should have a go at Easteneder for stereotyping Londeners as thick as p*gs**t mockeneys, that spout off at every opertunity and find ways to evade the UK's laws and spend most of their time in a manky pub.

Old 18 July 2008, 01:00 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Outstanding LMFAO!

I'd like to clomplain about on the fiddle (bbc 1 thursdays) Nearly all the benefit cheats were of ethnic origin, with only a token white benefit cheat thrown in for good measure
Old 18 July 2008, 01:01 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Maybe they should have a go at Easteneder for stereotyping Londeners as thick as p*gs**t mockeneys, that spout off at every opertunity and find ways to evade the UK's laws and spend most of their time in a manky pub.

TV producers have always done it - after all it's easier than actualy being creative.
want an interesting Wife Swap? we'll find a thick working class northern family and a posh middle class southern family. job done.

We want a criminal? any scousers around? someone thick, now we have Wales and the Midlands to choose from.
At least putting an Asian in a corner shop (he actually owns several, therefore should be seen as a role model!) is only stereo-typing someone's job, not their interlect.

It's seriously time tv producers started earning their not inconsiderable money, and stop trying to re-hash choirs-skating-in-the-ballroom, lets follow someone to an auction and make a program for 72p type drivel.
Old 18 July 2008, 01:05 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GC8
Live and Let Die?
Bingo!!
Old 18 July 2008, 01:11 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Outstanding LMFAO!

Trolliest post I've seen in years and deserves top spot in the Wiki - Trolliest Post of All Time League.