Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Those useless traffic wombles

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2008, 01:34 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Those useless traffic wombles

While filling up with v power on sunday a guy came over and asked if I had a jack. His pajero 4x4 had a flat tyre and was blocking the hgv pump I agreed to help being the good citzen I am and went to pay for my fuel. On the way to the till I noticed one of those highways agency 4x4's at a pump and not really wanting mucky hands and clothes (I had doubts over the scooby jack working on his 2 ton barge anyway) I thought I'd try my luck with him. "sorry mate we don't carry jacks beleive it or not". For ***** sake I thought. So they can't do anyone for speeding, can't arrest anyone can't help anyone who's broken down...... so what is the point of there existence?
Old 15 July 2008, 01:40 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JONNY_693
While filling up with v power on sunday a guy came over and asked if I had a jack. His pajero 4x4 had a flat tyre and was blocking the hgv pump I agreed to help being the good citzen I am and went to pay for my fuel. On the way to the till I noticed one of those highways agency 4x4's at a pump and not really wanting mucky hands and clothes (I had doubts over the scooby jack working on his 2 ton barge anyway) I thought I'd try my luck with him. "sorry mate we don't carry jacks beleive it or not". For ***** sake I thought. So they can't do anyone for speeding, can't arrest anyone can't help anyone who's broken down...... so what is the point of there existence?
They would put cones out directing traffic around the 4x4, they would position themselves to enable you to work in safety, they would put their flashing lights on and sit watching you do your stuff
Old 15 July 2008, 01:51 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

They stopped the M1 for me once, as I had broken down in the hard shoulder, but there was no barrier to wait behind just 1/4 mile of 2o foot high wall, they had it closed at about 8AM while I walked to the grassy bit.

I bet I was popular that day.
Old 15 July 2008, 02:02 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Interesting, they have a base near me off the M1 at wakefield there seems to be rather a lot of them. I'm just thinking maybe do away with them and have a few more traffic police who are a bit more use. A bit like those 'Blunket bobbies'.
Old 15 July 2008, 02:10 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I know it's probably very childish etc, but I love overtaking these guys on the motorway, they are bursting with their own self importance.
Old 15 July 2008, 02:21 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

It never fails to make me smile when theres a que of muppets behind that darent overtake them
Old 15 July 2008, 02:34 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Grrr - useless fecking b'stards!

The only time we've needed some assistance from them so far was when a tyre blew on the horsebox on the M4.

Pulled onto hard shoulder and checked horse was ok - not too bad but he was getting a bit agitated at the wagon's thundering past just next to us.

Other half gets out onto the bank to be safe & wait for the recovery wagon; I stay in the box to keep the horse calm.

Blazing hot day, small female stood on the hard shoulder, livestock transport broken down and she sees these "knights of the road" approaching - and carry on straight past without slowing; 5 minutes later the same vehicle trundles back up the other side of the motorway.

Cheers for the help you ***** - they could at least have stopped to check she was ok or that we had recovery en route.

Can you tell I think they're a waste of fecking space, time, and money? Flash should spend the cash on proper traffic police and stop trying to do everything on the cheap!
Old 15 July 2008, 02:42 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Probably limited to what they can do through health and safety, i.e they can't tow anyone out of the main carriageway in case they break a fingernail attaching the towrope
Old 15 July 2008, 02:46 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

IIRC they were pretty good for righting marks car when it was on its side. Altho the real thing they are good at is shutting the road.
Old 15 July 2008, 03:04 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Waste of public reasources. Would happily swap them for more traffic plod....acomapnied with a new law on middle/lane 3 blocking and some targets on catching middle lane hogs
Old 15 July 2008, 03:28 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

If it interests you, or not, quite a lot of police cars now carry a spare tyre but no jack or tools to change it - they have to call workshops out to do it for them.

This is to stop the "untrained" BiB changing their own tyres and thus there is no risk of a claim. Pathetic I know, but its slowly getting beyond the joke.
Old 15 July 2008, 03:59 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Waste of public reasources. Would happily swap them for more traffic plod....acomapnied with a new law on middle/lane 3 blocking and some targets on catching middle lane hogs

It wont be long until they will be able to issue speeding tickets Im sure of it....
Another Labour idea, softly softly shaft people with the gradual and staged introduction...
Old 15 July 2008, 04:24 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Yes I love it when these useless b@stards shut one lane of the M4 in rush hour simply because someone has broken down on the hard shoulder...
Old 15 July 2008, 05:01 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Met the BIB doing this this, this morning.

Car obviously had a blow out on drivers side front, nose into the hedge, about 1 foot of the back end encroaching intot he lane of a dual carraige way. Traffic car sat across 1 lane protecting said car.

How about using the bib cruiser to shove the stricken car further onto the verge, and reopening the A1 (south bound just north of Baldock) at rush hour instead of causing a 12 mile tail back.
Old 15 July 2008, 08:16 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Would happily swap them for more traffic plod
Until you get pulled for an offence and start whinging about it?
Old 15 July 2008, 09:48 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

If it made a difference to driving standards, I wouldn't mind; Honestly.

There are far too many feejits on public roads; dawdling about, mind in another world, not paying attention to whats happening around them; Ahead, aside or behind. Driving incorrectly for the prevailing conditions, not appreciating the limitations of their vehicle with repect to wet/winter handling etc etc.

Now you've done it, I'm on the verge of spouting off about every failing of every other driver I see on the roads