There is hope yet!

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2008, 11:56 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up There is hope yet!

Originally Posted by BEEB News
A senior health worker who challenged a gang of anti-social underage drinkers with a stick has been cleared of taking the law into his own hands.

Former army corporal Benjamin Littlewood-Hillsdon saw the youths vault his fence in Weston-super-Mare.
The 34-year-old and his brother-in-law intended only to hold the three 16-year-olds until police arrived.
Bristol Crown Court cleared the men of two counts of causing actual bodily harm and one of causing GBH.

After seeing the youths grappling with his 23-year-old relative, Mr Littlewood-Hillsdon hit out with his stick in self-defence and pulled the teenagers away.

He then called the police but when officers turned up after two hours it was to arrest the pair who found themselves on trial for assaulting the gang. That left him feeling "let down" by the force, he said.

After the case Mr Littlewood-Hillsdon added: "I feel very relieved and grateful to the jury." The court heard one of the boys, Joshua Morris, now 17, had lost the sight in one eye after the incident.

The jury were quick to clear the defendants, both of Berkeley Crescent, Uphill, of all blame. Judge David Ticehurst told the teenager's mother: "He'll get over it - Gordon Brown's only got one eye."

Another of the youths, also 17, who cannot be named, will be sentenced later this year for an attack on a plumber who told a gang to stop urinating in the street.
That attack took place 10 months after the incident involving Mr Littlewood-Hillsdon.

Shame on the Police.... well done the Judge & Jury.... could this be a return to common sense?
Old 15 July 2008, 11:59 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Shame on the Police.... well done the Judge & Jury.... could this be a return to common sense?
Unlikely, seems you are unable to protect, your family, your property or yourself against yobs these days.
Old 15 July 2008, 12:00 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Is it just the Police behaving voluntarily or another one of those ridiculous Human Rights Acts that are forcing them to act that way?
Old 15 July 2008, 12:02 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good on the Jury. If only more cases went this way.
Old 15 July 2008, 12:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The point is, their release without charge was down to the judge and jury. What were the police and CPS doing by charging them in the first place?

Les
Old 15 July 2008, 12:03 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

The police seem to operate to their own agenda, trouble is no ****** knows what that is!......

What a complete waste of taxpayers money, court time and unecessary stress for the people concerned!
Old 15 July 2008, 12:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It has been said often enough that the police can only operate effectively with the support of the general public. What kind of a way is that to get our support?

Les
Old 15 July 2008, 12:07 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BBC
After the case Mr Littlewood-Hillsdon added: "I feel very relieved and grateful to the jury." The court heard one of the boys, Joshua Morris, now 17, had lost the sight in one eye after the incident.
Reckon jumping over a fence deserve being half blinded?

I mean of course these kids are need keeping in check and all, but maybe a bit excessive.
Originally Posted by BBC
Judge David Ticehurst told the teenager's mother: "He'll get over it - Gordon Brown's only got one eye."
Well theres a comfort for her. ****.

There's a fine line between defending your property and family, and going overboard. Of course I don't know the circumstances behind the child having damage done to his eye, but since the man was charged with GBH (and the CPS took it to court) there was obviously foul play.

Tricky one, on the one hand, I would want to defend my property, but on the other, if one of my kids had his eye put out by someone, whatever the circumstances, it would be difficult to swallow.
Old 15 July 2008, 12:08 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The point is, their release without charge was down to the judge and jury. What were the police and CPS doing by charging them in the first place?

Les
One of the kids lost an eye through the actions of the defendant. Surely that has to be investigated.
Old 15 July 2008, 12:13 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
One of the kids lost an eye through the actions of the defendant. Surely that has to be investigated.
Indeed.

You're only getting one side of a story.

Police arrive, see some injured boys and then see that injuries are caused by someone there.

They get a story from injured people and one from the other party. The people admit to causing the injuries and have to be arrested in order for the incident to be investigated properly so evidence isn't lost.

Evidence is then put to the CPS who decide whether charges are brought, not the police.

Courts then decide - it's called the criminal justice system, and it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

It's easy to read the story after once all's sorted and form an opinion on what should have been done once all the facts are out. Crystal ***** aren't standard issue to police, unfortunately.
Old 15 July 2008, 12:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

In my experience, the police will pursue, and charge, the easy targets. I have had TWO experiences of this myself, where they wouldn't turn out for us, but were there in a flash if they thought we were going to do something about it ourselves.

As stated above, their agenda is a mystery to most right thinking people.

Alcazar
Old 15 July 2008, 12:20 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
In my experience, the police will pursue, and charge, the easy targets. I have had TWO experiences of this myself, where they wouldn't turn out for us, but were there in a flash if they thought we were going to do something about it ourselves.

As stated above, their agenda is a mystery to most right thinking people.

Alcazar
So, if someone has an obvious serious eye injury, caused by someone who admits to doing it, the Police should not pursue the matter?

As Fatherpierre said, the Police are not Judge and Jury, they are there to enforce the law. The CPS is there to decide what cases they should prosecute. In this case, they obviously felt that the defendants actions were excessive given the circumstances.

The Jury disagreed

The Justice system has done its job.

I would be far more concerned had the matter not been subject to scrutiny.
Old 15 July 2008, 12:20 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Police don't charge unless it's for minor things even with an admission.

CPS decide on who gets charges and the courts then do their bit.