Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Strike Action Query

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2008, 09:46 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strike Action Query

As some of you may know, the Unison union has called a 2 day strike next week for its Council members.

I Work as a joiner for a Council, but I'm in UCATT, the construction union. Unison is mainly an office worker union, but our union rep from UCATT has been out to see us today, saying our union expect us in UCATT to support the strike and not turn in for 2 days next week, therefore losing 2 days pay.

A few of our manual working lads are in GMB, who have voted to accept the 2.45% pay deal, and we in UCATT haven't been balloted at all, either on the deal, or strike action, but we're all expected to come out.

Now some are saying it's illegal for us or GMB to strike as we haven't had a strike ballot, and it's also mentioned we're in breach of contract if we don't turn in because there hasn't been a strike ballot.

A major bone of contention among our lot is whether Unison would support us by striking if we did in the future about something our union wasn't happy with, which none of us think they would, which is adding fuel to the fire.

Any legal eagles shed any light on this matter??

Thanks,

Andy

Last edited by Walwal; 10 July 2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added a bit :)
Old 11 July 2008, 12:05 AM
Bugatti
Scooby Regular

I believe you have to go into work as normal as your union hasn't balloted you and given notice of a strike by it's members. You would indeed be in breach of contract if you failed to turn up.

You should only carry out the work you normally would and nothing extra to cover for your colleagues who are striking as you would then be undermining their strike action.

I'm no expert but that is my understanding of the way it works from when we were in a similar situation. Someone more knowledgeable will be along soon no doubt .
Old 11 July 2008, 12:27 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Turn upto work as normal... look all mobbed out and flustered/threatend at the picket line.. turn round go home. Tell your employer they threatened to 'blackball' you if you crossed the picket line.. if you've got a decnt employer they'll thank you for trying to get in, and might still pay you...
Old 11 July 2008, 12:47 AM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swampster
Turn upto work as normal... look all mobbed out and flustered/threatend at the picket line.. turn round go home. Tell your employer they threatened to 'blackball' you if you crossed the picket line.. if you've got a decnt employer they'll thank you for trying to get in, and might still pay you...

That has been mentioned and also dismissed by management. You either cross the line or not. And considering most of management are striking, even crossing the line won't guarantee your pay imo.

Been looking on the net and us UCATT peeps ain't balloted so striking is illegal according to this: Industrial action : Directgov - Employment

Thanks for the replies

Andy
Old 11 July 2008, 12:57 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

It's not illegal as such.. as you have been asked by a Union Representative to support the strike. However as you haven't been balloted you won't be protected under law for unfair dismissal. However they'd have to be tw@ts to dismiss you in this case I'd say if you didn't cross the picket line, especially as half the management are out as well...

If you are going to cross, then as Bugatti says make sure you do not do any work that you would not ordinarily do that would normally be carried out by your striking collegues.

Alternatively.. pull a sickie, get paid and don't get blackballed
Old 11 July 2008, 01:18 AM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Talking

sorry. have i inadvertently walked into a screening of 'i'm alright jack', starring peter sellers and ian carmichael?
Old 11 July 2008, 09:45 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Jezus! I never knew going on strike was so complicated!!!!
Old 11 July 2008, 12:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

This happens regularly in schools, where teachers often have four or five unions, and ancillary staff even more.

One union striking doesn't mean the others have to, nor should they support the striking ones, (by coming out themselves), who are protected under law, if they have complied with the ballot, etc, but the other unions would NOT be

Poor english, but you get my drift
Alcazar
Old 11 July 2008, 07:54 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Update: Most of the GMB and UCATT guys aren't going to strike, the major opinion is it's Unison's war, not GMB/UCATT's.

The major problem for all of us is why can't the different unions who represent a broad spectrum of Council employees get their heads together and sort out a plan?? They cannot, but they expect a show of solidarity from us... not going to happen.

Public sector workers aren't liked by the populous to start with cos of pensions/early retirement/cushy jobs etc and this strike will only alienate us even more.

I've decided I'm not striking and I've cancelled my subs to the union cos I believe the whole malarky has been a total ***** up. I've been in the union all my working life, but the bully-boy tactics have been a sickener, and the rep saying he'll never help anyone who doesn't strike just put the final nail in the coffin.

Andy.
Old 11 July 2008, 08:00 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

thats unions for u
Old 11 July 2008, 08:08 PM
lovinmescoob
Scooby Regular

Walwal,

If you support the action it's classed as "secondary action" if you haven't been balloted your employer can terminate your contract.
Old 11 July 2008, 08:19 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lovinmescoob
Walwal,

If you support the action it's classed as "secondary action" if you haven't been balloted your employer can terminate your contract.
Even more reason why I'll be grafting on Wednesday and Thursday

Thanks peeps

Andy.
Old 11 July 2008, 09:40 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

im a council electrician,our union rep (unite) has told us its not our fight as its concerns admin staff rather than tradesmen etc because we work to different conditions and our pay agreement has been sorted.i wont be crossing picket lines they are going to give me a load of work so i dont have to go to the council yard whilst the strike is on.
im glad because i work 7 days on 7 days off shifts so 2 days no pay for me is actually 4 days pay, also my wife is a teachers assistant and she is on strike.we would be skint if both of us were on strike.
Old 11 July 2008, 09:50 PM
lovinmescoob
Scooby Regular

Walwal,

No probs mate, try and ask your employer if you can have your work inadvance if your not happy about crossing a picket line, but if that's not possible don't forget you have rights under employment law!! The other side of the coin is that I'm sure the "strikers" no that secondary action is deemed a sackable offence all thanks to Mrs Thatcher.
Old 11 July 2008, 10:01 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scab
Old 12 July 2008, 12:20 AM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
scab
That doesn't bother me one bit. I cannot afford to loss 2 days pay for a lost cause. Scab, Blackleg, send all the names my way, cos I'm going in to work, the unions are run by Communists after this pile of ****e.

Andy
Old 12 July 2008, 01:24 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

i was a member of Unison up until a couple of years ago. I left because I didn't like the way the left-wing trouble causers were starting to use the members to further their own agenda
Old 12 July 2008, 08:03 AM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Let's face it- The Council pen pushers have a nice fat pension- far better than they could get elsewhere- waiting for them . You , as a man in overalls, probably don't!
Sod 'em!