Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Henley by-election

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2008, 10:18 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Henley by-election

It's finally happened. The BNP can get more votes than Nu Labor in an election! Never thought I would see that come to pass.

BBC NEWS | Politics | Labour fifth as Tories win Henley

Oh, the humiliation of it all....

Meanwhile Gordon is 'getting on with the job' no doubt.
Old 27 June 2008, 10:52 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Cool

Highly amusing article here:

Where did it all go wrong? When Labour started telling lies - Telegraph

Old 27 June 2008, 11:02 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

When this happened before Tony started to talk about banning the BNP. Make no mistake, I despise them (the BNP, although I understand some of their sentiment), but that should have been a wake-up call for New Labour: as it was it was a wake-up call for the rest of us, those who saw: a government who advocated banning a political party who they disapproved of.....
Old 27 June 2008, 11:04 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Some light moderation on the Telegraph boards there. I particularly liked this comment:

"Most of us Brits now think that NL ministers are complete *******."
Posted by Graham on June 27, 2008 7:53 AM
Old 27 June 2008, 11:54 AM
New_scooby_04

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../motivator.jpg

I so wish Pete was here at the moment!
Old 27 June 2008, 12:07 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Is the end nigh? Will any one else be better?

I do hope so, are there many like me thinking of emigrating?
Old 27 June 2008, 12:18 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

"The rich get richer, the poor get it free, and us in the middle fund everything but cannot claim anything"

Great quote!
Old 27 June 2008, 12:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Do you expect them to do anything different but to follow their previous policies of sound bites, lies and attempts at great initiatives and at the same time remaining in complete denial?

Les
Old 27 June 2008, 12:40 PM
New_scooby_04

Nice quote here:

Goebbels' comment on the efficacy of propaganda will be familiar to many: "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." What is less well known is his qualifying observation: "The lie can be maintained only for such time as the state can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie."
Old 27 June 2008, 12:48 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wouldnt they natuarally come say tenth in this sort of constituency
Old 27 June 2008, 12:54 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

To not get their deposit back speaks volumes
Old 27 June 2008, 01:02 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Nice quote here:

Goebbels' comment on the efficacy of propaganda will be familiar to many: "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." What is less well known is his qualifying observation: "The lie can be maintained only for such time as the state can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie."
Indeed - and we are all feeling the consequences of the Nu Labor lie now.
Old 27 June 2008, 01:19 PM
New_scooby_04

If you rearrange the letters in ''Prime minister Gordon James Brown' you get..

'Big Retard In power'.

Old 27 June 2008, 01:38 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Wonder what the chances are of a general election next summer. I would love to have one.
Old 27 June 2008, 02:05 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

*Agenda recognition mode not required*

Swings and roundabouts, swings and roundabouts.
They come, they go in a never ending cycle of popularity and disrepute.
What goes around comes around...Tis true Bring on the tory 'no goods' for their turn
Old 27 June 2008, 02:12 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by coolangatta

What goes around comes around...Tis true Bring on the tory 'no goods' for their turn
Regrettably, I suspect you're right!
Old 27 June 2008, 02:25 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Regrettably, I suspect you're right!
History and hindsight are wonderful things!
Bring on proportional representation so they can all stand in a large circle, point to the person on their right and say 'it's his/her fault
Old 27 June 2008, 02:29 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coolangatta

Unfortunately I fear there is a massive amount of truth in your statement. I fear that when the tories do get back in power we will be little better off. For some reason most political parties don't seem to listen to what the people want, rather they try to tell us what we should have.

Perhaps its just the nature of a politician. They only know how to legislate (ban) stuff they don't agree with. We just seem to have an ever increasing amount of rules that are starting to affect the way we live in a negative way.

As just one example, you are now no longer allowed to drop people off outside of an airport terminal. Its a minor rule, its not really going to affect my life in a negative way, but its just an example of the ever increasing amount of legislation. Why was this introduced? Well remember the two idiots that drove their 4x4 into Glasgow (I think) terminal last year. Well because they did that, now all airports are not allowed to have drop offs zones near terminals. Its not going to help, as you can just walk into the terminal with a bomb, or park next to a bus and set one off etc etc.

So whats next? No drop off areas around shopping centres etc etc? Politicians seem to see one problem once and go and grab the largest banning stick they can find. Then tell us its good for us and we should stop complaining.
Old 27 June 2008, 02:35 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ved
Wonder what the chances are of a general election next summer. I would love to have one.

Why? So we can vote out one bunch of greedy self obsessed career polticians to vote in another.

The only answer for the decent people left is to get out. This country has the political parties it deseves. They are rotten to the core as are most of the population.
Old 27 June 2008, 03:39 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Unfortunately I fear there is a massive amount of truth in your statement. I fear that when the tories do get back in power we will be little better off. For some reason most political parties don't seem to listen to what the people want, rather they try to tell us what we should have.

Perhaps its just the nature of a politician. They only know how to legislate (ban) stuff they don't agree with. We just seem to have an ever increasing amount of rules that are starting to affect the way we live in a negative way.

As just one example, you are now no longer allowed to drop people off outside of an airport terminal. Its a minor rule, its not really going to affect my life in a negative way, but its just an example of the ever increasing amount of legislation. Why was this introduced? Well remember the two idiots that drove their 4x4 into Glasgow (I think) terminal last year. Well because they did that, now all airports are not allowed to have drop offs zones near terminals. Its not going to help, as you can just walk into the terminal with a bomb, or park next to a bus and set one off etc etc.

So whats next? No drop off areas around shopping centres etc etc? Politicians seem to see one problem once and go and grab the largest banning stick they can find. Then tell us its good for us and we should stop complaining.
Yep, you got it in one.
Reactionist, knee-jerk like, snout in the trough, limited thinking 'yes men/women'. Does the UK need a change of format? Not half
Old 29 June 2008, 12:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The only way to get them to do the job better and to get what we really want out of them is to keep voting them out every so often so that they learn respect for the people of this country.

I would dearly love to see the Queen losing her patience and dissolving Parliament as is her right and telling them to start again!

Les
Old 29 June 2008, 01:42 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

No amount of makeovers, re-launches or faked sincerity can change what has occurred. The public has worked out that just about everything Labour had promised on issues that really matter turned out to be untrue. Not even Dickinson & Morris, established at Melton Mowbray in 1851, can match its impressive range of pork pies.

For Mr Brown and the entire New Labour project, that is where it has all gone wrong. It is the falsehoods that dumped the party's poll ratings in the gutter.

Labour's big lies on budgetary prudence, educational standards, support for the Armed Forces, the economic benefits of immigration, a referendum on the European constitution (alias the Lisbon treaty), figures on violent crime, weapons of mass destruction, the abolition of quangos, British jobs for British workers and tackling welfare abuse have been exposed for what they were: cynical manipulation of credulous voters.

The problem for Brown and his troupe of political pygmies is that they have exhausted the supply of veils behind which they once danced. They now stand stark naked before the electorate and it's not a pretty sight.

Oh how true, about time people started to wake up

Beaten into 5th place by the BNP -- a bunch of racist thugs, people would rather vote for them than NL - LMAO! Hoisted by their own racial intergration petard!

Just what Gordon and his 'political pygmies' deserve!

Last edited by The Zohan; 29 June 2008 at 01:46 PM.