Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dutch take a tough stance on emissions.

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2008, 04:40 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dutch take a tough stance on emissions.

Not saying I like the idea of road charging, but its good to see a government sticking to their guns. Amsterdam at least
With fuel rising to £1.16 a litre now, they are apparently going to be banning classic cars (20 yrs old or more). Also new car tax is being binned and road charging being rolled out.

Seems they have made their decision and are sticking to it. And it seems they are actually interested in emissions and reduction, rather than what else can be taxed.
Old 11 June 2008, 04:52 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Only thing is, in the UK if they get their way we will have, new car tax, raised first year VED, raised VED for cars over X g/km, massive fuel tax, congestion charging and of course road charging.
Old 11 June 2008, 04:52 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Not saying I like the idea of road charging, but its good to see a government sticking to their guns. Amsterdam at least
With fuel rising to £1.16 a litre now, they are apparently going to be banning classic cars (20 yrs old or more). Also new car tax is being binned and road charging being rolled out.

Seems they have made their decision and are sticking to it. And it seems they are actually interested in emissions and reduction, rather than what else can be taxed.
Banning Classics, thats horrendous. Still there might be some left hand drive bargains to be had .
Old 11 June 2008, 04:57 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob878
Banning Classics, thats horrendous. Still there might be some left hand drive bargains to be had .
lol every cloud has its silver lining eh.
Not sure how side spread the ban would be, or if they could even do it. But its the kind of thing you expect to see from a government who is "serious" about emissions and the enviroment.
Old 11 June 2008, 05:02 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Only thing is, in the UK if they get their way we will have, new car tax, raised first year VED, raised VED for cars over X g/km, massive fuel tax, congestion charging and of course road charging.
No they won't. They have already said that VED and Fuel duty would be replaced by Road charging tarrifs.

Darling unveils road charging plans | Politics | guardian.co.uk

BBC NEWS | UK | Q&A: Road pricing
Old 11 June 2008, 05:04 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
No they won't. They have already said that VED and Fuel duty would be replaced by Road charging tarrifs.

Darling unveils road charging plans | Politics | guardian.co.uk

BBC NEWS | UK | Q&A: Road pricing
lol in fairness they have said quite a lot in the past year, and gone back on a fair bit of it. But I stand corrected none the less. However you know they would love to have it ALL if they could

Quite ironic how a car hating government use one of the most commonly used manouvres..... the U-turn
Old 11 June 2008, 05:05 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

ermmm everytime i have been to amsterdam i have struggled to see more then say 10 cars?

taxis not included of course

but the dutch just love riding around on them crazy pedal bikes.
Old 11 June 2008, 05:07 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

lol every cloud has its silver lining eh.
Not sure how side spread the ban would be, or if they could even do it. But its the kind of thing you expect to see from a government who is "serious" about emissions and the enviroment.
Indeed certainly a government that seems to have taken the bull by the horns. Not that i personally agree with it, however rather than sitting and crying about it, they have taken a stand and at least attempted to make a change, rather than sitting bck waiting for the current situation to blow over.

Mind you, I personally would be crying as the list of classic fords I want to get in the coming years would suddenly disappear, and in 3 years dear old Percy (my delinquent 205 gti) would be off to the scrap heap.
Old 11 June 2008, 05:24 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

How does road charging achieve anything different than extra tax on fuel???. Distance driven and fuel used still equals emissions. Will cost a fortune to set up and administer
Old 11 June 2008, 05:26 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Anyone got a link for this please?

My pal in Holland collects old Cadillacs

Edit. The only link I can find seems to say the exact opposite!!

DutchNews.nl - Amsterdam u-turn over car ban

Last edited by David Lock; 11 June 2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11 June 2008, 05:48 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Cant find it on their site yet, but give me a sec
Old 11 June 2008, 05:51 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Here goes, prob read it all wrong lol....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03791.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1846  
Old 11 June 2008, 06:18 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

No actually they are just implementing EU directive 20004/52 a bit earlier than they have too. And so will we. Unless we leave the EU of course....
Old 11 June 2008, 07:07 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
No actually they are just implementing EU directive 20004/52 a bit earlier than they have too. And so will we. Unless we leave the EU of course....
Doing what ?? lol

Aaaah fair enough, first I have heard of it lol
Old 11 June 2008, 07:10 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

There seems to be bucket loads of shed (read classic) cars in Amsterdam, so it doesn't suprise me they're banning them.
Old 12 June 2008, 10:26 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some inside info. (as I understand it)

Road charging was originally touted by the Dutch government (which is in The Hague and not Amsterdam of course) to be a substitute revenue source for VED and new car tax aka "BPM" and not a revenue raiser. This is turning out to be an out and out lie of course - such is the nature of green taxes.

BPM is levied at 42.3% on the retail price and then VAT at 19 1/2% is charged on top (tax on a tax then). A CO2 surcharge on the new price of 80 quid per 10g CO2 above the levels of 232g/km for petrol and 192g/km was introduced in Feb-08. As a consequence a Lamborghini Murciélago will cost a whopping twenty-two thousand pounds more than previously .

It isn't good for the man on the street either - e.g. All the above nonsense taxes means that my well-loaded 2.0T Passat estate cost over forty-three thousand pounds last year rather than the twenty-six grand it would have cost in the UK. i.e. Rip off Britain could be much, much worse Finally it seems that road charging is due 2012 (an IT project of this magnitude will be delayed to 2015 at the earliest I expect). The rub is that the phasing-out of BPM won't be finalised until 2018 (it will first be reduced to 'only' 25% in 2010/12.

So finally (surprise, surprise) this is just a revenue raising exercise rather than the tax-neutral affair it was originally being touted as. I sincerely expect motorists to revolt soon, as this is really taking the p1$$ now!
Old 12 June 2008, 10:36 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

What are on earth are those guys smoking?
Old 12 June 2008, 10:45 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shark Man
What are on earth are those guys smoking?
I think they've been snorting coke using banknotes stolen from motorists