Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Flights to Cancun from London

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2008, 12:19 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flights to Cancun from London

The wife and I are hoping to nip over to Cancun in October and are looking for direct flights (sadly Virgin don't appear to do that route, was hoping to chip in airmiles and get a cheaper upper class flight)

Cheapest flight we have found so far is £2179 each and that is with an 11 hour stopover in NYC.

Has anyone flow direct from UK to Mexico. Would prefer a London airport but could fly from Manchester at a push.
Old 10 June 2008, 12:23 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Yep done it a few times but only by pikey chartered flights - even BA stopped flying direct.

You should get an all inclusive package at around £1200 per person max including flights, transfers and 4 or 5 star accomodation..
Old 10 June 2008, 12:23 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Continental Airlines via Houston only has a 5 hour stopover.

(not that I would recommend Continental, but it appears to be the cheapest / take the least time)

Steve
Old 10 June 2008, 12:40 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Question

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Yep done it a few times but only by pikey chartered flights - even BA stopped flying direct.

You should get an all inclusive package at around £1200 per person max including flights, transfers and 4 or 5 star accomodation..
We have to stay at this place as we are meeting friends there: El Dorado Royale a Spa Resort - El Dorado Spa Resorts & Hotels - Riviera Maya México

Will check out packages from a local TA.

So far the options we have seen are
Virgin Atlantic to Orlando, Jet Blue to Cancun, JB to Orlando(10 day in villa), VA to London.

Alt. is VA to NYC, JB to Cancun(11hr stop over) JB to Orlando(10 day villa), VA to London.
Old 10 June 2008, 02:30 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

BA (or VS if you prefer) LHR- to MIA, then AA/mexicana to cancun - thats the one I would do.

or...BA to MEX
Then mexicana (or similar) domestically to cancun......
Also other possibilities like LAX- just depends on the connecting flights for you?

BA have some stupidly cheap business and first class fares at the moment to and from the US- like £1000 rtn can get first class out, business back on some routes with change from £1500 if you are careful...booked a couple of good ones myself the other day

Last edited by Freak; 10 June 2008 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10 June 2008, 07:26 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Air Canada are £492pp return from LHR. That's with a 2h 15, stopover in Toronto.

That would do me.
Old 10 June 2008, 08:11 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I fly out next week from Gatiwick, i nearly fell off my chair when i read your post. my whole holiday was just over 900 quid my flight is with Thompson
Old 10 June 2008, 08:40 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Last week on teletext there were 7 night all inclusives to cancun for 410 per person ?
Old 10 June 2008, 08:45 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mate, I went to Cancun with Virgin last month and I have to say it was just fantastic. Using our Tesco clubcard points we managed to get £400 off the price too.

As for the comments about cheaper flights and all inclusives - it's true, you can pay far less, but you tend to get what you pay for in that area TBH.
Judging from the people we met during our stay, it's advisable to avoid the bigger resorts as they're much less personable and enjoyable than the smaller ones like Secrets - we're talking a comparison of a place with around 180 odd rooms, and somewhere with over 1000! Every one offers different advantages and disadvantages I'm sure so make sure you make your pick based on what you want to get out of the holiday.
Oh and don't book your tours through the operators - they'll charge nearly double in some cases for tours you can book on the street with people who speak better English than the reps!

When we flew we went from heathrow and had a 3 hour stopover in Miami; it was worse on the way out than the way back IMO, but yes it would have made life one hell of a lot easier if we'd had a direct flight there.

On the plus side, they've recently changed things so your bags get checked straight through in both directions so there's no longer any need to re-check your luggage on the way home when you get to Miami.

All I can say is enjoy it and go swim in a cenote whilst you're there - one of the parts of the holiday I enjoyed the most

Last edited by MrNoisy; 10 June 2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10 June 2008, 09:46 AM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

moon palace is the only place I would go if I went to cancun
Old 10 June 2008, 10:03 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

just pay for an all inclusive if its cheaper, you dont have to use the accomodation, just the flights

first time we went it was just over £600 each all inclusive so if you shop around you can find it not to disimilar to that. The only thing is that you are tied into their flight schedule so it may not fit in with your needs
Old 10 June 2008, 10:04 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wakeboardar
any particular reason?
Old 10 June 2008, 10:08 AM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i went all inclusive 3 yrs ago,stayed at the tucancun beach hotel (very nice) flew from manchester (direct) with mytravel airlines.
Old 10 June 2008, 10:19 AM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

just a random one i did for some prices for you my travel direct flights no stop overs
Travelling to
Mexico - Cancun

Departing from
London Gatwick

Departing on
07/10/2008

Duration
14 nights

Passengers
2 adults

Hotel rating
3 Star

Board basis
All-Inclusive
Total holiday price £1594.00
Average cost per person £797.00
i have used them twice now and would again

Cheap Package Holidays and Flights from MyTravel.com

Last edited by farmerwrx; 10 June 2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10 June 2008, 11:42 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wakeboardar

Agggghhh!!! God awful place.... far far too big. You needed to go a few miles further down the coast... THIS is the only place to go:

Excellence Cancun Resort and Spa

Much smaller, more personal... and fortunately miles away from Cancun itself.

Anyway...

You'll only get a charter flight direct from London to Cancun, there's no other way. A decent travel agent should be able to book you on one if you really do want to fly direct - and in October the prices will be CHEAP....

I went to Mexico in October a couple of years ago (so before the silly fuel surcharges really kicked in) and flew charter for around £208 per person return. Stupid price... yes. We'd booked our own hotel etc. and just took the flight, through a travel agent... simple.

If you're not happy going charter, from Gatwick to Cancun, then as you've found your only other option is a long protracted route, that transpires to be expensive, as you wander around North America!

I'd go for the quickest and simplest option - get on at Gatwick, off in Cancun and put up with charter levels of service!

Enjoy

DN
Old 10 June 2008, 12:02 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I would not go to Cancun... it is Blackpool for the yanks....... Just pop 40km or so South to Playa Del Carmen
Old 10 June 2008, 12:04 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

And I recommend it as I have lived there
Old 10 June 2008, 12:06 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

check this site for flights, Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets, Cheap Airfare & Discount Travel Deals - Kayak.co.uk

very clever site, even lets you pick departure times (I personally hate early morning flights) you can also aadjust the stop over times (use the sliders on the left)

quickly doing it I found 1 stop over (14hrs) for £605 return
Old 10 June 2008, 04:14 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
I would not go to Cancun... it is Blackpool for the yanks....... Just pop 40km or so South to Playa Del Carmen
Agreed - we stayed in Secrets Capri just 5 mins down the road from Playa Del Carmen and it was great. Expensive but well worth the money as there are no kids, 4 restaurants and all inclusive, including room service etc etc. And there aren't millions of people there. Private beach area, great friendly staff (whether you tip them or not!) and not a huge sprawling ugly hotel.

You may not like it, but there's also a dress code for some of the restaurants - it makes it kinda nice as people make more of an effort to dress up - like going clubbing when I was young lol.

Much better than the newer stuff. Can't recommend it enough - it eclipsed our honeymoon stay in the rainforest in Australia.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 10 June 2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10 June 2008, 04:46 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
Going there on Sunday
Old 11 June 2008, 04:17 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by The Chief
Going there on Sunday
You'll love it mate - enjoy the break from the craziness!
Old 11 June 2008, 07:11 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Came back from Mexico nearly two weeks ago, really nice place, shame had to come back to the UK

Anyway....... if it helps, we booked our holiday with Thomas Cook. This included direct flights from Gatwick to Cancun (with Thomas Cook Airlines) and 14 nights fully inclusive at the Sandos Playa Car Beach Resort. Very nice hotel, good food etc, couldn't fault the holiday at all. Was about £900ish each (for two of us), not sure if they do flights only though if thats what your after??

PlayaCar seemed a much better area than Cancun (about an hour’s drive down the coast). We went to Cancun one day to do a speed boat trip and we were glad we weren’t staying there.

Last edited by stiscooby; 11 June 2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12 June 2008, 08:04 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by stiscooby
Came back from Mexico nearly two weeks ago, really nice place, shame had to come back to the UK

Anyway....... if it helps, we booked our holiday with Thomas Cook. This included direct flights from Gatwick to Cancun (with Thomas Cook Airlines) and 14 nights fully inclusive at the Sandos Playa Car Beach Resort. Very nice hotel, good food etc, couldn't fault the holiday at all. Was about £900ish each (for two of us), not sure if they do flights only though if thats what your after??

PlayaCar seemed a much better area than Cancun (about an hour’s drive down the coast). We went to Cancun one day to do a speed boat trip and we were glad we weren’t staying there.
To add to the last bit - Cozumel was very similar. We went there to snorkel on the reef and later in the evening it seems to turn into an American Falaraki!