Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

off to spain do i have to let my bank know? can i use my mobile?

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2008, 12:11 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off to spain do i have to let my bank know? can i use my mobile?

off to spain on sat, i have got euros but left some in bank incase need more, do i have to let my bank know im going to be withdrawing from spain?

also can a orange pay as you go mobile be used from there?

only ask as i get 1000 free texts a month or will i have to pay for it all out there? dear?
Old 08 June 2008, 12:30 PM
AirConDave
Scooby Regular

An Orange phone should work out there, but it's worth calling them to activate international roaming as they often give you some freebies.

You generally will have to pay for the texts you send from abroad, but it's worth asking Orange direct. I had to pay for mine when I was in Egypt earlier this year.

You do not need to let your bank know you will be using your card abroad, but they are likely to charge you a withdrawl fee as will the Spanish bank. I generally withdraw as much cash as I can in the UK, then take it to a exchange bureau where you will generally get a better rate and no fees.
Old 08 June 2008, 01:19 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

ive got a couple thousand euros already so its more emergancy use if i need cash ill cashpoint it

cheers

lee
Old 08 June 2008, 02:23 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AirConDave
An Orange phone should work out there, but it's worth calling them to activate international roaming as they often give you some freebies.

You generally will have to pay for the texts you send from abroad, but it's worth asking Orange direct. I had to pay for mine when I was in Egypt earlier this year.

You do not need to let your bank know you will be using your card abroad, but they are likely to charge you a withdrawl fee as will the Spanish bank. I generally withdraw as much cash as I can in the UK, then take it to a exchange bureau where you will generally get a better rate and no fees.
I would certainly make your bank aware that you are going abroad or they will think when the card is used from there, that it has been cloned and you will be stopped from using it. This was featured on BBC's watchdog a few months back. Although be warned, even if you do let your bank know it's not guaranteed that the computer will not still stop it As for Orange pay as you go. I believe Orange will only allow Pay Monthly phones to be used internationally, but worth checking out orange.co.uk for details on that one. Also it will depend on the type of phone you own if you can use it abroad.
Old 08 June 2008, 02:46 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd check with orange before going abroad. For 2 weeks in cyprus, orange charged me £197 in call charges
Old 08 June 2008, 03:07 PM
Spyder550
Scooby Regular

Would agree with the poster above, let you bank know. My sister was in Mexico last September and they froze her account as they thought it may be being used fraudulently. Better than having to ring the UK from abroad when you suddenly find you can't get any money.

It's bad enough ringing "Andrew" in Bangalore from the UK when you have a problem here, let alone having to ring a pigeon english speaking Hell-desk from elsewhere

Last edited by Spyder550; 08 June 2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08 June 2008, 04:15 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

AFAIK you will pay for your texts and calls when using you mobile abroad, you may have to ask them to start up roaming on your mobile as some operators do not do it as standard or at least didn't hen I was on PAYG

Beware of the call/text charges as these days they have to be capped at a lower level than those of last year and before giving to the recent ruling about charges. Check their website it should clearly state the charges when using the phone abroad.

As far as letting your bank know it would all depend on how long you are going away for, based on the fact you are taking a couple of thousand Euros it may be some time if it is 2 weeks then you should be ok as I am sure they would realise it is a holiday but if it is months thn that would be worth mentioning.

Have a good time anyway
Old 08 June 2008, 05:22 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

only going for couple weeks

thankyou all for your help

lee