Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sky+ questions

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2008, 11:19 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky+ questions

I have the bog standard Sky at the moment, but was wondering, if I change to Sky+ can you record 2 channels at the same time ?

I know they say you can pause, rewind etc, but is the above possible?

Also, once it is saved to Sky+, can you save it to DVD or a larger Hard drive ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07 June 2008, 11:22 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Yes, yes and yes! Although you have to have one of the channels on when recording two at once
Old 08 June 2008, 12:01 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

You'll need two feeds from the dish though. you can also record 2 channels and watch one already recorded.
Old 08 June 2008, 01:11 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

If you get a quad lnb and keep your old box you can watch one box whilst the other records two channels !

LOL

DunxC
Old 08 June 2008, 08:21 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sky+ comes with a quad lnb as standard as ive just had one fitted, it's a great piece of kit, pm us your email if you want as i have a guide that lets you into other menu's and settings.
Old 08 June 2008, 09:18 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Sky+ is brilliant. You can record two programs at the same time and watch a recorded program at the same time. You will need the Quad LNB put on the dish and an extra cable, but it isn't that hard.

You can put a bigger hard drive in yourself (and invalidate your guarantee) and you can copy the programs off although not quite as simple as it sounds.

Steve
Old 08 June 2008, 10:06 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I agree that Sky+ is brilliant and I couldn't live without it but is there anyway of freeing up the extra hard drive space on the box reserved for Sky Anytime which I never use?

I am right in thinking that half of the space is reserved for Sky Anytime aren't I?
Old 08 June 2008, 10:41 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Afraid not but the guide i have shows you how to fit a larger hard drive inside.
Old 08 June 2008, 11:06 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
I agree that Sky+ is brilliant and I couldn't live without it but is there anyway of freeing up the extra hard drive space on the box reserved for Sky Anytime which I never use?

I am right in thinking that half of the space is reserved for Sky Anytime aren't I?

Yes, I noticed that when replacing a dead hard drive in my mates box...he said it was a 80gig box. Which it was, but it actually had a 160gig hard disk in there, just 80gig is "reserved for Sky" So I fitted a 250gig replacement drive (£45) which gave 170gig free usable space effectively doubling the capacity

As long as its not an early type box its a simple swap - providing you have a set of screwdriver bits that can undo the anti-tamper screws.
Old 08 June 2008, 11:08 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Yep we recently upgraded from the original 40gb Sky+ box to the 80gb. Are there any particular hard drives you recommend?

Sorry Nate for the thread hijack!
Old 08 June 2008, 11:40 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
Yep we recently upgraded from the original 40gb Sky+ box to the 80gb. Are there any particular hard drives you recommend?

Sorry Nate for the thread hijack!
Hijack away

The drive I used was a Seagate ST3250820ACE which I got from Aria.co.uk , but its not in stock at the moment (I just checked to get the model number off my previous order ).

Appears to work fine - thats with a Pace TDS470N (PVR3) box. There is talk of some older model boxes being more fussy on certain drives. I chose that drive partly based on info from here: Suggested Drives which is a bit out of date (many drives seem to be discontinued) So I also checked on the Digital Spy Forums - Entertainment and digital TV news discussion forums to see what success others had with that particular drive in that particular box.

Thats the hard cheap-skate way

The easy way is to buy a full "kit" from a on-line retailer who will select the drive most suited for your box, you do pay extra. But at least you can take them to task if it doesn't work
Old 08 June 2008, 02:17 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Try and avoid a Sky box made by Thompson if you can. Had nothing but grief on both My HD and Sky+ boxes. The Sky+ had to be replaced due to the IR reciever packing in and not accepting Remote Control commands. Also have a smiliar issue withthe HD box as well as the odd ocassion where it's gone into standby and refused to record programs on the odd occassion where I have had to power it on and off. Wasn't aware that the normal Sky+ box had Sky Anytime? Thought it was only Sky HD that got that function?
Old 08 June 2008, 03:11 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Wasn't aware that the normal Sky+ box had Sky Anytime? Thought it was only Sky HD that got that function?
Depends on the age of your Sky+ box. I had one of the earliest models and couldn't have Anytime TV, I think from generation 1 onwards it's available. You can switch it off on the HD boxes if you want the extra space.
Old 08 June 2008, 03:28 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Yep we didn't have it on our early model box but have on the new PVR3 jobby. It's a bit of a waste of space TBH

Cheers Shark Man, all useful stuff there
Old 08 June 2008, 05:40 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

No problems with any hijacks, I want to know as much as possible, so I can make the right choice.

So where is the best place to get the SKY+ box ..... From Sky, or are their prices over the odds ?

And also, what model sky+ box do I want to get, or do you not have a choice ?
Old 09 June 2008, 12:01 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Is it not possible to record 2 programs and watch a thirs program, providing its on the same MUX as the 2 being recorded?

I'm thinking of getting Sky+ as they are doing it all free this month, but I'm not sure if it will match my Topfield 5800 for recording 2 shows and watching something else?
Old 09 June 2008, 01:44 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Is it not possible to record 2 programs and watch a thirs program, providing its on the same MUX as the 2 being recorded?

I'm thinking of getting Sky+ as they are doing it all free this month, but I'm not sure if it will match my Topfield 5800 for recording 2 shows and watching something else?
No. You can watch a recorded program whilst recording two 'live' ones.

Steve
Old 09 June 2008, 03:08 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

That's a bit crap isn't it!!

Hmm, not sure if the Mrs will go for that one then