Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

double/triple/quad razor blades are any of them actually good?

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2008, 10:32 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default double/triple/quad razor blades are any of them actually good?

Had a mach3 turbo which was **** and got a gillette quad jobbie and its **** too! what is a good razor to use?

I actually have been using the single blade on the gillette razor as its the only one that actually works!
Old 04 June 2008, 10:53 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Fusion (power one) seems to do a good job. I don't think the multiple blades necessarily give a closer shave, but they do last a lot longer.

Les
Old 04 June 2008, 01:35 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always been intrigued by the 'technology' that can allow the first blade to leave something for the next blade/blades in-line to cut

Witchcraft or B@llocks? You decide
Old 04 June 2008, 01:37 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

I find i am much less likely to cut myself using the four blade razor. But the massive size of the head (not mine ) makes it difficult to get into all the nooks and crannies. When I have time the double blade does the job better, but at the cost of a pint of blood

I can't believe the ridiculous cost of the blades
Old 04 June 2008, 02:04 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Its the price of steel.

Sweeney Todd style shave is were its at
Old 04 June 2008, 02:08 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Razor blades...

Bane of my life. Far too expensive, and I am sure I am not the only one here that effectively shows off when I buy a new pack of blades.

I am so blase with them when I first buy them. Replace the blade once a week, just because I can, because I'm worth it. And then I get to the last blade. And I make it last about 6 months.
Old 04 June 2008, 02:12 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I'm back to using the old Sensor excel:

I had a load of other razors as free samplers, but upon realising how much the blades were, I went back the sensor excel when they wore out.

And sensor Excel blades aren't exactly cheap
Old 04 June 2008, 02:12 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I use Tesco Matrix

Much cheaper, does the same job as any of the expensive ones. I only need to shave every other day and I make a pack of 4 last 2 weeks as thats how often we go shopping.
Old 04 June 2008, 02:25 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

do the vibrating ones make any difference?

i use an "old" simple mach3, had to have a quiet! word with the missus when i caught her using it to shave her legs "its just a bloody razor" etc,

simply asking her to pick me up some new blades stopped that from happening again "HOW MUCH??"

bought some cheapy "BIC`s" from the cash and carry for her legs and gave one a blast on my face, hurt like hell, gave a ****e shave, took ages and i ended up with a rash/spots
Old 04 June 2008, 06:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Anyone else think the vibrating ones are pointless as regards shaving but could be misused.......

"Can you get me some razors whilst you are out love"....
Old 04 June 2008, 06:48 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure if you get them in the UK, but if you do, keep away from Schick Quattro. Tried it and just left me with serious razor burn.

I've been using the Fusion Power now for at least a couple of years and apart from the horrific price of replacement blades, it's great. If you have a CostCo near you, they usually do a pretty good deal on larger packs of replacement blades.
Old 04 June 2008, 07:30 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Gillette Fusion - 5 blades. Four on the front, one on the back.

I shave four times a week through the week and the occasional weekend and I use ONE head a month. Special occasion I'll maybe breakout a new one but for keeping neat for work, no problem at all.
Old 04 June 2008, 07:35 PM
hotsam
Scooby Regular

Merkur Heavy Classic.

Best shave ever. Blade refills are $0.50/ea (here in US), and a $5 ten pack lasts me 2 1/2 months. I've used Mach 3, Bic disposables, a Braun self cleaning electric, and this is by far the best shave. Best of all, it will last as long as I will, so I never have to buy a new razor again.

3 and 4 blade razors are a scam. They force you to press down when shaving, they clog easily, and they're far too expensive. Don't fall for the marketing hype!

Last edited by hotsam; 04 June 2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04 June 2008, 08:03 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I'm back to using the old Sensor excel:

I had a load of other razors as free samplers, but upon realising how much the blades were, I went back the sensor excel when they wore out.

And sensor Excel blades aren't exactly cheap
I tried Mach 3 and Fusion Power. Fusion ok but head is massive so hard to do whole face. Vibration makes no diff imho and a lot harder to use 4 blades when youve got longer stubble.

Gone back to Sensor Excel also. two blades and a good Size. Blades are £3.50 for a pack of 5 at Tesco.

Simon
Old 04 June 2008, 08:11 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hotsam

Merkur Heavy Classic.

Best shave ever. Blade refills are $0.50/ea (here in US), and a $5 ten pack lasts me 2 1/2 months. I've used Mach 3, Bic disposables, a Braun self cleaning electric, and this is by far the best shave. Best of all, it will last as long as I will, so I never have to buy a new razor again.

3 and 4 blade razors are a scam. They force you to press down when shaving, they clog easily, and they're far too expensive. Don't fall for the marketing hype!
word

double edged safety razors, classy, effective and cheap.
Old 04 June 2008, 09:21 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I've found you can extend the life of the blades my simply growing a beard Cheap and effective
Old 04 June 2008, 09:39 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
word

double edged safety razors, classy, effective and cheap.
If you buy the blades in bulk on ebay, you can get 100 for under £10.

Personally I use a straight razor, which IMO gives the best shave possible. It's not for everyone though, as it takes a long time to learn to use properly.
Old 04 June 2008, 09:58 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I've finally settled on the Quattro Titanium after a lot of trial and error. Tried the Merkur too and whilst it is undoubtedly a quality product, I couldn't get on with it and after several weeks of cutting my face to shreds, I gave up with it - they are NOT for everyone.

What I have found that makes the most difference is using good quality shaving cream etc. Try something like Murad, which is amazing stuff - not cheap but it makes a real difference.
Old 04 June 2008, 10:37 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Very hot, wet flannel placed over mush first will get the hairs to stand up, thus helping the razor to whip them off.

I use the Gillette ones but couldn't believe the price - in Morrisons they are 4 blades for about £9

I did buy some BIC disposable once.
Never again.
Face like chopped ham.
Old 04 June 2008, 10:39 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
...good badger hair...
I prefer a bit of Beaver hair on my face, to be honest.

Old 05 June 2008, 09:39 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Clinique M-Shave gell & Lab Series Creme are also good, the latter esp if you have a skin condition like eczema, as it's a lot like the moisturiser creams you get from the doctors.

The clinique is a also good, but I stopped buying it when I would only get 2 shaves out of a bottle - found out the missus kept using it on her legs...

I got taken by the wife to a spa a few weeks ago and she bought be a facial with a wet shave using the cut-throat - the lass doing it spent ages and does quite a lot of them - but I wouldn't have said it was a massive improvement over my tried and trusted quattro titanium.

If you're thinking of switching to a cut throat, why not try a visit to a spa or barbershop to see if you prefer it, only costs what? £20 at most and you'll be getting someone who'll do a good job of it without turning you into scarface.
Old 05 June 2008, 10:28 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I use mach 3 m-power and find it better than anything else. The vibrating thing works very well for me and now I can't live without it. I use nivea shave foam and nivea moisturiser afterwards.
Old 05 June 2008, 12:55 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

In regards to shave gel Ive just started using the Real Shaving Company products and the concentrate shave foam is great as is the after shave balm. Picked a whole set inc pre shave massage and shaving brush for a fiver delivered off ebay - bout half price it is in tesco.

Simon
Old 05 June 2008, 01:28 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

I've got some vibrating Gillette thingy (Mach 3?) and it doesn't clog anywhere near as much as the double blande thingy that didn't vibrate before. And as a result it seems to stay sharp longer as I don't clean it out with an old toothbrush