Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

KNIFECRIME IN BRITAIN

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2008, 10:57 PM
Guthrie14
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KNIFECRIME IN BRITAIN

the knifecrime in britain is becoming horrendous and nothings being done about it what do you think should be done

i think jailed for 5 years and and shocked with 50000 volts
Old 25 May 2008, 11:07 PM
W R X
Scooby Regular

Yup, its not good mate. Doesnt seem like anyones got the ***** to deal with it either. They found about 12 knives, bats etc on a bus the other day and said it was a "Major breakthrough" and that it shows that they are really taking the war to the gangs. I feel safer already.....

London's turning into South Central LA.
Old 26 May 2008, 11:46 AM
chunkb
Scooby Regular

Hang them all,murderers,paedos,we need a good clean out,people should be afraid to do bad things.
You can have lots of fun being good.
Old 26 May 2008, 04:31 PM
tolster
Scooby Regular

Think anyone who goes out tooled up is a coward

Watched traffic cops the other night, they stopped some youths in a car and they had a fake gun and two knives and got away with a tickin off

Think society is going backwards
Old 26 May 2008, 04:37 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

The law has been powerless to impose decent penalties for some time now. Youths can get away with anything they want, and have been able to do so for years. In the past the law itself may not have been able to impose the penalties needed, but their parents did. These days society has to be able to deal out enough of a punishment.

Victims of bullying and normal people are now scared of what may happen. You cannot really complain that they are starting to want to carry knives in case they run into these people. Only too late have they realised there is some sort of arms race among young people. Action actually needs to be taken that is effective at keeping the nasty people off the streets...and that means expensive custodial sentences that judges are not afraid to hand out.

Too much leniency has led to this
Old 26 May 2008, 05:10 PM
tolster
Scooby Regular

I agree, if they are not affraid of the system then how can you control this ever increasing problem

I think that a no nonsense veiw has to be implemented reguardless of cost and maybe a return of old policing policies whereby human rights are overlooked if you are breaking the law
Old 26 May 2008, 05:26 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Yep the sentances are pathetic.

Often a knife is more dangerous than a hand gun
(hand guns fairly inacurate in the hands of yoof and also if you can get close enough fairly easy to take off people)

Seeing as most of the weapons carried are knives and they are potentialy more lethal than a handgun in most cases. The prison sentances should be big for carrying one...as it is ordinary peoples lives at stake here...and then things might get safer.

But hey thats common sense...and the prisions are full....so thats not going to happen.

Trending Topics

Old 26 May 2008, 05:49 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

The other thing is that any kid can get hold of a knife from their Mam's kitchen drawer and can then carry it out with them.....they get into a scrap, the knife comes out for "warning" and it all goes too far and some poor sod gets stabbed.....a family loses a son (it usually seems to be male victims).

I think we need to get some pretty draconian measures and punishments in place. People need to be worried about doing wrong and need to have some respect for the law.
Old 26 May 2008, 06:27 PM
Guthrie14
Scooby Regular

the worse thing is that 3 quaters of these kids that are carrying knives will most probably be intending to use them and the other quater are the kids carrying them in case they get beaten up either way somethings got to be done against it a ticking off aint bloody well good enough
Old 26 May 2008, 10:42 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

I think the prison service needs to go and have a look at the glasshouse. And then start to model their own prisons on that. The statistics say it all really. The re-offense rate is less than 1%.
Old 27 May 2008, 12:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

This problem will keep on getting worse unless there is a sea change in attitudes towards misbehaviour from not only the authorities but also from the parents who do not seem able to or to even want to control their children any more.

We need a strong leadership to make the police do what is necessary to convince these thugs that what they are doing is just not worth it and to hold parents fully responsible for what their children do and make them pay recompense where damage has been done.

There should be real punishement meted out, many now advocate the death penalty for ultimate crimes, and for lesser crimes I think that a public flogging would go a long way to concentrate their minds before they do it! Public shame is something that these thugs would crtainly fear.

Les
Old 27 May 2008, 01:39 PM
New_scooby_04

The upbringing of the youths involved in these crimes is, more often than not, the biggest factor!

Unfortunately, the law simply cannot make up for bad parenting; if it gets to that stage, something has already gone wrong!

However, a credible deterant would be a damn good start in reducing knife crime. If people people don't carry a knife they can't use it on anyone - it's that simple. There should automatic custodial sentences for anyone carrying a concealed weapon.

Stop and search powers and zero tolerance style policing also need to be extended for the age groups concerned IMHO. The police need the power to enforce the law. Yes, it's embarrassing and inconvenient for some, but I'd rather be having a debate about civil liberties than dead teenagers!

Ns04
Old 27 May 2008, 01:44 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
The upbringing of the youths involved in these crimes is, more often than not, the biggest factor!

Unfortunately, the law simply cannot make up for bad parenting; if it gets to that stage, something has already gone wrong!
I'm not sure the blame can be laid solely on the parents. These kids are a product of thier environment. It is no coincidence that these crimes are happning in less privileged areas of the country.

By the time a child is 14, how much influence do you think a parent has?

However, a credible deterant would be a damn good start in reducing knife crime. If people people don't carry a knife they can't use it on anyone - it's that simple. There should automatic custodial sentences for anyone carrying a concealed weapon.
I agree. It needs to be made absolutely unnacceptable to carry a weapon. At the moment, the risk of carrying one simply does not deter people form doing so.
Stop and search powers and zero tolerance style policing also need to be extended for the age groups concerned IMHO. The police need the power to enforce the law. Yes, it's embarrassing and inconvenient for some, but I'd rather be having a debate about civil liberties than dead teenagers!
Also agreed. I am somewhat concerned about personal liberties, but, in the short term at least, the only way we are going to clamp down on this is to come down on knife crime hard.
Old 27 May 2008, 02:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
I'm not sure the blame can be laid solely on the parents. These kids are a product of thier environment. It is no coincidence that these crimes are happning in less privileged areas of the country.

By the time a child is 14, how much influence do you think a parent has?

I agree. It needs to be made absolutely unnacceptable to carry a weapon. At the moment, the risk of carrying one simply does not deter people form doing so.

Also agreed. I am somewhat concerned about personal liberties, but, in the short term at least, the only way we are going to clamp down on this is to come down on knife crime hard.
If the child has been brought up properly in a responsible manner Pete, the parents will still have a big influence on him at that age.

Les
Old 27 May 2008, 02:06 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
If the child has been brought up properly in a responsible manner Pete, the parents will still have a big influence on him at that age.

Les
Depends what you mean by "big"

By 14-15, you will be the third influence.

School being number 1
Friends being number 2

Parents, on average will be the "third" consideration by that point - It is the ground work you put in between the ages of 0-12 that will decide how your child will react in a given situation, or how susceptible he/she is to outside influences.

And it only gets less. By 16, parents will be way down the list.
Old 27 May 2008, 02:14 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
Disagree Les. Parental influence is vital for young kids, but teenagers are far more influenced by their peer groups. It's too late now for them.

Binge drinking, knife/gun crime and gang culture needs to change at parental level for sure, but right now it's a police matter and needs to be hit hard.

Richard.