marine fish. Are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2008, 09:19 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile marine fish. Are they worth it?

hi,

Went down the pet shop today with the other half to get some rabbit food and had a look at the fish. I must say the marine fish look stunning. I wasn't so keen on the tropical. Spoke to the assistant and he said marine fish were much easier to look after than they used to be.

Anyone own marine fish. I'm tempted to get involved in the marine fish world. Is it really that difficult to look after?
Old 10 May 2008, 09:20 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Marine fish tend to be the hardest to look after, and also the most expensive and you generally need a much bigger tank than you would for tropical or coldwater fish

absolute absolute minimum would be a 4 foot tank, and even then you wont be able to have many fish in there
Old 10 May 2008, 10:46 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

I had a Nano Orca bought for me last Oct, it is a complete set up and you literally add water (salt water) and go, it's a bit like plug and play really. I knew nothing about marine but it didn't take me long to get the hang of it as it's no where near as complicated as it used to be, apparently... Within 3 months I had upgraded to a 3' bow front as I'm hooked, I love it, i've had no fatality's, everthing is thriving and it's fantastic to watch.. It is quite expensive if your impatient and want everything at once but IMO well worth it, tropical doesn't come close.. I also belong to Ultimatereef forum which is the same as this one, loads of clever people who really help each other as and when you need it..
I'm glad I started with the smaller tank though as it gives you an idea as to whether your as interested as you think you are, if you know what I mean ?
Old 10 May 2008, 10:49 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

if your not committed to getting the best out of marine tank or the work involved.save your money mate go tropical alot less hassle
Old 10 May 2008, 10:59 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

i've just googled Nano Orca as i hadn't heard of them before.talk about making life easer with a marine set up.it was years ago i looked in to it think i be looking again
Old 11 May 2008, 01:59 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by naughtyhunnybunny
I had a Nano Orca bought for me last Oct, it is a complete set up and you literally add water (salt water) and go, it's a bit like plug and play really. I knew nothing about marine but it didn't take me long to get the hang of it as it's no where near as complicated as it used to be, apparently... Within 3 months I had upgraded to a 3' bow front as I'm hooked, I love it, i've had no fatality's, everthing is thriving and it's fantastic to watch.. It is quite expensive if your impatient and want everything at once but IMO well worth it, tropical doesn't come close.. I also belong to Ultimatereef forum which is the same as this one, loads of clever people who really help each other as and when you need it..
I'm glad I started with the smaller tank though as it gives you an idea as to whether your as interested as you think you are, if you know what I mean ?
Seems positive. I'll look into that. I'll join that forum too. I'm quite looking forward to it.
Old 12 May 2008, 11:49 AM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

ditto
I'm on Ultimatereef.net as well and has been an invaluable source of info when I made the leap from tropicals to marine.

I currently have a Red Sea Max running quite nicely.
Old 12 May 2008, 12:23 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I'm on UR as well. I'm still in the planning stages.

Looking to get a 4ft x15in x2ft + sump

I've not kept fish before, but i've done LOTS of reading around the subject.