Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

recruitment consultants... anyone on here?

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2008, 11:54 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recruitment consultants... anyone on here?

as many know my current exclusion from work is highly volatile and unsustainable so ive been looking for alternative employment.

applied for a couple of jobs for recruitment firms as a consultant.

got a phonecall today from a nice bloke asking me some general questions. answered honestly and he seemed impressed. hoping for a call back eventually for an interview.

so has/is anyone here a recruitment consultant, similar role etc?

what sort of work is it. obvious pro's and con's for any job i understand that much.

tips/advice appreciated incase im lucky enough and get another job.
Old 30 April 2008, 12:04 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Choc! You're a decent bloke! Don't spoil it all and beome an agent

Here's some tips though..

-Cold call lots of people asking if they are interest in a job which bears no relation what they actually do. (Make sure you try and trick them into giving out the name of thier manager so they then have a senior contact at the company)

-Read through a few CV's forward them onto prospective employers.

-Be really proactive and interested with a client whilst he is leading up to the interview phase, assure him that the interview is basically a formality.

-Completely blank the client once the propesctive emploer has said the client didn;t get the job. I mean don;t even bother to phone them to tell them how they got on - Waste of time.

-Call up aforementioned client a few weeks later with another opportunity and act as if nothign has happened.

-Don't forget, if a client has few offers on the table, act really affronted if it sounds like you might not represent the one he is choosing, and make sure the client knows how much works you put into getting this job and that he really should take your one. Conveniently foget you have acted like a complete tosser in the previous weeks.

-Never return any calls if someone is trying to get hold of you. If you want to speak to someone, you call them. If someone is calling you, it is usually because they want answers to some tricky questions about you being a tosser.
Old 30 April 2008, 12:12 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
One step below Estate agents - and everyone knows how low they are!

ahh... nice and positive. thanks
Old 30 April 2008, 12:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some are ok, some are those that were even to odious to become a junior estate agent.
Old 30 April 2008, 12:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Minds
Old 30 April 2008, 12:43 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

You forgot to add:

Phone local private clinic and book in for the lobotomy

Then you will be set
Old 30 April 2008, 12:53 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Obviously my experience of recruitment consultants is vastly different to everyone elses on here

In most of not all of the IT recruitment agencies I have used, they have been very very good, always in contact, and really push for securing the right job
Old 30 April 2008, 12:57 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
In most of not all of the IT recruitment agencies I have used, they have been very very good, always in contact, and really push for securing the right job
If you have managed to find an agent that isn't a complete arsehole, then good luck to you. Keep in contact with him!
Old 30 April 2008, 01:03 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

thing is though with any experience i could gain by this type of work, could it not help me more regards career prospects compred to warehousing which im sick of.

remembering im not some ***** waving £100k a week i.t. boff like some on here
Old 30 April 2008, 01:18 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
thing is though with any experience i could gain by this type of work, could it not help me more regards career prospects compred to warehousing which im sick of.

remembering im not some ***** waving £100 a week i.t. boff like some on here
/puts ***** away and goes to hang head in shame
Old 30 April 2008, 01:20 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Hays consultants put me in touch with the company I work for now and I found them extremely helpful.

-Submitted my application and cv on the sunday evening
-Hays then phoned me on Monday morning to arrange an interview with them on the tuesday.
-Turned up suited and booted with what infomation I felt would be required
-We sat in a nice air-conditioned office, got offered tea and coffee and then we started to discuss the job role. She even told me about the other prospective recruits (which she shouldn't have done) and how good my experience was compared to theirs. I thought that this was a ploy to increase my confidence but it turns out I beat two guys with degrees in engineering.
-Had an interview with the company on the Wednesday morning at 9am. Hays then called me at 11am to confirm that the position was mine if I wanted it and she had even negotiated my pay up by £1000 with a review after 3 months (which saw another increase of 2.5K)

To say I am happy in my job is an understatment and I owe a lot of it to Hays.

I know this is all from the clients perspective, but I'd just thought I'd give you an insight into how a 'successful' agency operates.
Old 30 April 2008, 01:38 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Hays consultants put me in touch with the company I work for now and I found them extremely helpful.

-Hays then phoned me on Monday morning to arrange an interview with them on the tuesday.
-We sat in a nice air-conditioned office, got offered tea and coffee and then we started to discuss the job role. She even told me about the other prospective recruits (which she shouldn't have done) and how good my experience was compared to theirs. I thought that this was a ploy to increase my confidence but it turns out I beat two guys with degrees in engineering.
-Had an interview with the company on the Wednesday morning at 9am. Hays then called me at 11am to confirm that the position was mine if I wanted it and she had even negotiated my pay up by £1000 with a review after 3 months (which saw another increase of 2.5K)

I know this is all from the clients perspective, but I'd just thought I'd give you an insight into how a 'successful' agency operates.

thanks for that. helpful advice is maybe what i should have asked for instead of useless dribble - however true.

still waiting for a phonecall anywho regards an interview.
Old 30 April 2008, 01:40 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100

To be fair, all agencies are great so long as you have the potential to earn them money.

If you hadn't been successful in your interview you would have seen the othe rside of agents.