Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New puppy: pet insurance question.

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2008, 03:46 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up New puppy: pet insurance question.

The midlife household has a new member, a minature poodle puppy called Ruby

We have been looking for pet insurance and have come accross PetPlan and the Kennel Club. Any good suggestions for who to go with and what plan

Thanks for the help

Shaun

PS Anybody fancy hosting a pic of her for me

Last edited by Midlife......; 26 April 2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: tried to add picture
Old 26 April 2008, 03:55 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are with tesco's and it paid for it self many times over within the first year. My lab chased the postman and ran into our metal gate at the side of the house and knocked out two of her front teeth and damaged another one.

Our normal vet couldnt repair the damage and we got refered to the Edinburgh Veterinary college and the bill came to around 500 quid.

The insurance paid for it all.
Old 26 April 2008, 03:55 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we was with kennel club when lenny our boxer was a pup but had alook around and discovered we was paying more than double of some insurers in the end we went with healthy pets and save quite abit
never had any problems yet with him (touch wood)
Old 26 April 2008, 04:08 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Thanks Phil, I thought the Kennel Club was a tad expensive LOL

I never thought of Tesco

Cheers

Shaun

PS I'll try and get my 12 year old to post a pic.....he does it all the time on the Runescape forums !
Old 26 April 2008, 04:15 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Direct Line thats who im with.

Mail me the pic me @csoc.co.uk and I will post it up
Old 26 April 2008, 04:40 PM
AJF
Scooby Regular

just renew with this lot
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our Customer Services Department. Tel: 08704 022 755Fax: 08704 022 600Email: custserv@eandl.co.ukMon to Fri 8am - 5.30pm E&L WILL NOT share or in any way make available your contact details to any third parties without your permission. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- All schemes are underwritten by Equine & Livestock Insurance Co Ltd (E&L) which is authorised and regulated by the Finanical Services Authority (FSA) (registration number: 202748). This can be checked by visiting the FSA website at Financial Services Authority, by calling the FSA on 0207 676 1000, or by writing to: The Financial Services Authority (FSA)25 The North ColonnadeCanary WharfLondonE14 5HS.

half what we paid last year
Old 26 April 2008, 04:40 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

i would not recommend tescos, had a nightmare getting paid out for a pollen allergy about 4 years ago, then my EBT was diagnosed with a dust allergy 6 months ago, after blood tests, a special vaccine, numerous trips to the vet and special foods and steroids etc etc they told me they were not paying out as it was an existing problem.

after letters from the vet and a second vets opinion, they still insisted it was was the same, an allergy is an allergy, even if different things cause it and its treated differently apparently so they would not pay out as the condition had lasted over a year, even though it was a different condition. tossers.
Old 26 April 2008, 04:44 PM
scoobyfirst
Scooby Regular

I've just insured my new puppy with Pet Plan, i have insured horses with them before and they are always great for paying up. Tesco's are terrible stay well clear. They maybe a pound or two cheaper but are a mare for settling up! I got Pet Plan to knock me the first month off as well. If you don't ask you don't get!!
Old 26 April 2008, 04:46 PM
scoobyfirst
Scooby Regular

I've just insured my new puppy with Pet Plan, i have insured horses with them before and they are always great for paying up. Tesco's are terrible stay well clear. They maybe a pound or two cheaper but are a mare for settling up! I got Pet Plan to knock me the first month off as well. If you don't ask you don't get!!
Does anyone fancy posting a pic of mine up?
Old 26 April 2008, 04:57 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

I've used The Kennel Club before and found them to be very expensive. After some treatment for an skin allergy, come renewal time they kindly placed a clause in the policy that wouldn't payout for any skin conditions .

Had our new dog nearly a year and went with Esure on the internet. I've been very pleased with the service and price. We have claimed once (stomach complaint) and they paid promptly and without a fuss.

Fingers crossed come renewal time they will still be competitive but so far Esure gets our vote .

Wolfie.
Old 26 April 2008, 05:02 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

Tesco been good for my 2 girlies !
Old 26 April 2008, 05:06 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by greenonedave
Tesco been good for my 2 girlies !
What about your pets?

Only kidding fella
Old 26 April 2008, 05:07 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

£9 a month for my GSD with Tesco
Old 26 April 2008, 05:17 PM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

I have all mine with More Than. A pound or two per month more expensive than the others but the benefits are 100% worth it. I wouldnt touch anything underwritten by E&L but thats just my opinion. Just make sure you compare what yr getting for your money and choose the best option for you. You might think that £1000 per condition is more than enough, but i can guarantee, when you need it most, it wont be. More Than pay up to £7000 and if its something that ends up needing lifelong treatment, they will cover it...just a thought
Old 26 April 2008, 07:43 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Direct line seemed the best for us and we stayed with them after shopping around last year.
Old 26 April 2008, 08:43 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Midlife, E&L if you want a fair price for decent cover. Pet Insurance, Caravan Insurance, Horse Insurance from E&L® Insurance
Do make sure you compare and you'll understand just how much dearer, for often less, other companies are.

Last edited by Spoon; 26 April 2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 26 April 2008, 09:15 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Spoon
Midlife, E&L if you want a fair price for decent coverage. Pet Insurance, Caravan Insurance, Horse Insurance from E&L® Insurance
Do make sure you compare and you'll understand just how much dearer, for often less, other companies are.

Agreed

Had my cats insured with E&L for years and just insured my dog. Never had any problems with them at all. Also had my horse insured with them too.
Fair price for good cover
Old 26 April 2008, 10:48 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies.... much appreciated

Hopefully you should be able to see Ruby in the original post as my 12 year old has posted a pic via Tinypic

He has given me instructions on how to do it so there should be a pic of Ruby going for her first walk today below.. fingers crossed

Shaun
Old 26 April 2008, 10:52 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

She's been vaccinated I take it?
Old 26 April 2008, 11:31 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Spoon

she has been vaccinated / wormed / been to the vets for checks etc..

We have a shedload of paper from the Kennel club including a very impresive pedigree going back 5 generations !!

But still poos on the carpet LOL

Shaun
Old 26 April 2008, 11:35 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I had my dog with Tesco's. He was diagnosed with some form of cancer, had tests etc.. and then unfortunately had to be put down. Tesco's were good. Even sent a 'I'm sorry your dog is dead' type letter (more tactfully worded than that).

Steve
Old 26 April 2008, 11:37 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Boxst, every little helps.
Old 27 April 2008, 09:02 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Why don't you ask your vet for his/her recommendations? After all he will be the ones dealing with any claims.

Our own vet has started his own health insurance and check-up plan but I don't know the details as our dogs were too old to be covered. Cost varies according to size of dog which I couldn't quite understand. dl
Old 27 April 2008, 10:06 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

the old saying in life "you only get what you pay for" really does apply to Pet Insurance.

Pet Plan ranks as one of the top insurers of dogs / cats etc etc..... I don't work for them, I am in no way beholdent to them, but I have been a moderator on two dog forums for boxers - one being dedicated to white boxers and the other being dedicated to rescuing / rehoming any type of Boxer.

Boxers are a breed that are well known to suffer from specific illnesses and also being a very energetic breed to knock themselves about...... often. Over the years I have seen loads of poll's, threads, discussions about pet insurance and Pet Plan has always faired very well. NOT because they are cheap but because of the level of cover they provide.

If you want cheap pet insurance then you probably shouldn't own a dog, if however you want the best possible cover for your pet at a fair market price then check out Pet Plan - they also ranked as the best provider in "Dogs Today" magazine again because of the level of cover.

I have used mine many times for my 2 boxers and Petplan have always been great to deal with - more importantly they pay out quickly and have never questioned a claim.

Good luck with the new addition and hope you find the right coer for you and your new friend

Regards

Paul
Old 27 April 2008, 12:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g7prs
We are with tesco's and it paid for it self many times over within the first year. My lab chased the postman and ran into our metal gate at the side of the house and knocked out two of her front teeth and damaged another one.

Our normal vet couldnt repair the damage and we got refered to the Edinburgh Veterinary college and the bill came to around 500 quid.

The insurance paid for it all.
Unfortunate, but I bet the Postman was laughing his **** off !
Old 27 April 2008, 03:59 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

My wife who works in a vets recons,
Pet plan are the dearest but the best,
Marks and Spencer are quite good,
Tesco and Direct line are fine
E & l rated lowest
Hope that helps
Old 27 April 2008, 04:24 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

with pet plan will let you know what they are like
as they are just gonna be hit with a big claim 3k+
Old 27 April 2008, 10:01 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

petplan everytime - it's a whole life policy, ie your pet is covered whatever age, whatever condition and whatever circs. it's worth the £extra when your K9 gets older [the premium just rises with age, claims aside] and starts suffering problems and/or an accident at an age where the small print in cheaper policies funnily enough precludes cover.
Old 27 April 2008, 11:38 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Thanks .............looks like Petplan

Just gotta get the wife to look at SN LOL

Shaun
Old 27 April 2008, 11:55 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Shaun, Petplan aren't the best by any means but go with the masses and not necessarily the experienced.

Quick Reply: New puppy: pet insurance question.