Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

new baby info

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2008, 11:37 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new baby info

basically the missus had a baby on saturday and we have been inundated with leaflets to claim this and that,one thing caught my eye.

the government will give us a £250 voucher for a trust fund i am intrerested in setting one up and firing some money in every month so when she is 18 there is a nice lump sum for a car or something.

i have seen many different trust funds advertised offering all sorts of vouchers etc to get you to sign up.

so my question is can anyone recommend a good trust fund?
Old 29 April 2008, 11:46 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stuck the 250 voucher into one of the recommended trust funds.....and I'll leave it there !!

Before the car at 18 there is Tax, more Tax, even moretax, food, petrol, school trips, mobile phones, internet 8 hours a day, PSP games.........the list is endless !!

Sorry to have to say this but you will be bled dry before you can think about saving for a rainy day

Shaun
Old 29 April 2008, 11:54 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
I stuck the 250 voucher into one of the recommended trust funds.....and I'll leave it there !!

Before the car at 18 there is Tax, more Tax, even moretax, food, petrol, school trips, mobile phones, internet 8 hours a day, PSP games.........the list is endless !!

Sorry to have to say this but you will be bled dry before you can think about saving for a rainy day

Shaun

cheers for that you have made my day now as if i do not shell enough out.

as well as the list you so kindly produced you can add a car to that,especially as my missus is as soppy as a sack of sh1te and will give in to her every demand.
Old 29 April 2008, 11:55 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

No easy answer, but I would go for F&C FTSE All Share Tracker or L&G UK Index Trust. Family Charities Ethical Trust Account has been showing spectacular performance, but spectacular performance usually has an increased risk associated. This isn't something I deal with much, but get a list of the top 10 for each year since they were introduced (April 2005) and pick something that has been consistent every year.

If you want to get a bit more involved, pick a high risk fund at the start, and gradually move it down the risk ladder in later years. Once your kid is 16, they can get involved in picking the funds, at which stage they will see the potential returns of something with a stupid risk and blow all your efforts anyway (only joking about the last bit)
Old 30 April 2008, 12:01 AM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
No easy answer, but I would go for F&C FTSE All Share Tracker or L&G UK Index Trust. Family Charities Ethical Trust Account has been showing spectacular performance, but spectacular performance usually has an increased risk associated. This isn't something I deal with much, but get a list of the top 10 for each year since they were introduced (April 2005) and pick something that has been consistent every year.

If you want to get a bit more involved, pick a high risk fund at the start, and gradually move it down the risk ladder in later years. Once your kid is 16, they can get involved in picking the funds, at which stage they will see the potential returns of something with a stupid risk and blow all your efforts anyway (only joking about the last bit)
cheers for that i will do some research
Old 30 April 2008, 12:04 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

I stuck the money(token) into one of the 'recommended' one's. But to be honest, I've only ever paid into her savings account since.

If something from the government looks to good to be true......
Old 30 April 2008, 12:16 AM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Odds on
I stuck the money(token) into one of the 'recommended' one's. But to be honest, I've only ever paid into her savings account since.

If something from the government looks to good to be true......
i hear what you are saying with your last sentence especially as all my "voting life"labour have been in power,but i thought this was a perfect way i could actually get something back off the robbing w@nkers?
Old 30 April 2008, 12:21 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

AT the very least, use the money, even if you make no further contribution You get a top up when they are 7......... 500 quid for 20 minutes paperwork? Hard to argue with!!
Old 30 April 2008, 07:36 AM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

I have three children and each of them qualified for the £250 voucher.

I invested mine with Barclays CT funds - its more of a stakeholder investment so has a slight risk - however, it can't depreciate lower than its original amount. We add to it on Birthdays and so do nan's and grandad's etc. The way I see it - they can't get to it until their 18 and I believe its tax free so I don't see how you can lose really?

You are limited to how much you can put in a year - but its worth doing.

Also, congrats on the baby - you get SO much bumf when leaving the hospital it takes an age to get through it. HOWEVER there are some pretty good offers in there - like the free photo's and free bounty packs that you can collect at Mothercare or boots! So whilst it can fill your recycle bin - some of it is actually quite handy
Old 30 April 2008, 08:53 AM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ms Gooner 1

I invested mine with Barclays CT funds - its more of a stakeholder investment so has a slight risk - however, it can't depreciate lower than its original amount. We add to it on Birthdays and so do nan's and grandad's etc. The way I see it - they can't get to it until their 18 and I believe its tax free so I don't see how you can lose really?

Also, congrats on the baby - you get SO much bumf when leaving the hospital it takes an age to get through it. HOWEVER there are some pretty good offers in there - like the free photo's and free bounty packs that you can collect at Mothercare or boots! So whilst it can fill your recycle bin - some of it is actually quite handy
yes lots of bumf prior to going in hospital and even more now they are in there it sure does help to fill recycle box.

like you say i might as well use the voucher i aint very often the government actually give the taxpayer something back
Old 30 April 2008, 09:19 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ms Gooner 1

Yup, do go through it as there are some useful offers.

Congratulations as well!

Oh and you can try this for a bit of fun.

Midwife will be paying visits to you on a regular basis. wait till she pulls up outside, you go out back, wait 5 min's, back in front door and whilst out of sight of mum, baby and midwife yell out " They did not have any cider so i got you a litre of vodka and an ounce of skunk, is that all right?" and ensure you finish the sentence just as you come though the door to where they are. and finish with "Sorry, i din not realise you had company"

The looks on their faces - priceless.

Midwife thought it quite funny - Jenny on the other hand did not!

Last edited by The Zohan; 30 April 2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 30 April 2008, 10:28 AM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

- yep - don't think i'd of been too impressed myself though LOL
Old 30 April 2008, 10:52 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

According to an IFA neighbour who has 2 small children, The Childrens Mutual is the best out there at the moment. We've done the stakeholder version as opposed to non-stakeholder as I don't have the time or the knowledge to peruse the stock market for shares to invest in.

We're only putting the vouchers in there, we have stocks and share mini isas for them which will stop them getting instant access to a large amount of cash when they are 18.
Old 30 April 2008, 03:44 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Ours is in The Childrens Mutual as well, seems ok.

The government give a top-up in due course as well.