Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buying my CAT C write off and VIC ... confused

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2008, 10:26 AM
Ste_TYPE-R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my CAT C write off and VIC ... confused

Hi guys, beginning of march my Accord TypeR was vandalised. Every panel keyed, bonnet jumped on and headlights scratched. Insurance have said its a CAT C write off. Im not surprised, price of headlights from Honda are approx £500 each!! Im pretty sure i can polish/sand the scratch marks out of the plastic lens. ATM me and the ins. co are trying to reach an acceptable payout value (ive rejected there first 2 offers), they have told me a buyback price for the car, with the fact i can buy a 2nd hand bonnet cheap and probably polish the headlights out ive decided ill be buying it back and getting her repaired.

Now obviously because my previous insurer on the Accord are paying out, the policy has ended. Ive had to buy a 306 work shed in the meantime which is insured with another company.

Now i know to put the Accord back on the road it needs an MOT then a VIC so i can get the logbook. It should pass the MOT with flying colours (it passed its MOT the week before it was vandalised!). This is where im confused though ... can i insure a car thats a CAT C write off that hasnt had a VIC yet? When i buy the car back from insurance will they send some paper work to DVLA informing them im the new owner and as such be the "registered keeper/owner" ? The car is sat on my drive atm as i refused to let the salvage company come and collect the car until id recieved a payout i accepted.

My plan is to get the car MOT'd and as such be able to drive it to bodyshops for respray/repair quotes. I dont have a trailor or a tow car to enable me to drag the Accord around everywhere. Does the car need to be repaired before the VIC takes place? Like i say all damage is cosmetic only. I know ill need the VIC to be able to get the V5 logbook. But will i still be the registered keeper/owner without the logbook as most insurers require you to be the registered owner? (hence earlier question about ins sending paperwork to DVLA informing them of owner change). Car still has 4months tax on it.

Cheers
Ste
Old 27 April 2008, 11:24 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If you buy the car back you will be the registered keeper/owner and unless you have sent the logbook back to DVLA you still are the registered keeper. Since there has not been a payout made on your vehicle there would be nothing stopping you drive your own vehicle
Old 27 April 2008, 11:35 AM
Ste_TYPE-R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
If you buy the car back you will be the registered keeper/owner and unless you have sent the logbook back to DVLA you still are the registered keeper. Since there has not been a payout made on your vehicle there would be nothing stopping you drive your own vehicle
Ahh this is where it gets interesting, i recieved a letter from DVLA yesterday saying

"thank you for informing us you are no longer the owner/or have scrapped vehichle registration xxxxxxx"

I had to send the V5 to my insurance company before they would make me a payout offer so im assuming theyve sent the logbook to the DVLA informing them of its CAT C status. Which i guess means im not the legal owner atm ... im a little confused though as i havent accept either of the 2 offers my insurance have made me. Ive got a feeling trying to get it back on the road is going to be a PITFA!! as im not going to be the registered owner until ive got the logbook/had its VIC so not going to be able to get insured on it.

Old 27 April 2008, 11:48 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Getting it back on the road will be simple, once you agree a price for your car you can then buy it back from the insurance company for peanuts and its officially yours If the car is MOT'd and insured you will be able to drive it as long as its in a road worthy state as you will just be awaiting your logbook back !!
Old 27 April 2008, 11:52 AM
Kermit
Scooby Regular

I'm in a similar situation.....

Confused about the VIC/MOT thing

Car has been written off as Cat C, I've sent all the paperwork off, have bought the car back, received the payout.

My insurance has been changed to 3rd party, so I personally can't drive it, but can someone else who is fully comp drive it before the VIC?

The car is being returned shortly.

Is the VIC/MOT only required to get the V5 back, or is it legally required for someone to drive the car first ?

Thanks,

K.
Old 27 April 2008, 11:58 AM
Ste_TYPE-R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Getting it back on the road will be simple, once you agree a price for your car you can then buy it back from the insurance company for peanuts and its officially yours If the car is MOT'd and insured you will be able to drive it as long as its in a road worthy state as you will just be awaiting your logbook back !!
Thats the thing, the DVLA wont reissue a logbook for a car that needs a VIC. Once the insurer lets the DVLA know of its CAT C classification a "VIC Marker" is attached to the details. Once a VIC is performed and passes the marker is removed and then a logbook will be issued. Also a VIC cant be carried out until an MOT has taken place, an MOT certificate before the car was written off is void, it HAS to be reMOT'd after the car was declared a write off.

But as Kermit says, can you legally drive the car without having a logbook in possesion, im pretty sure you cant as the car is technically not registered to anybody. I need to ring my current insurer tomorrow and hopefully they can help me out.

BLOODY CONFUSING

Ive got a feeling im just going to sell the car for spares. Ill make a decent profit on top of what its costing to buy it back, but its the sentimental value of the car ... i love it and if i didnt have 4" diameter exhaust pipes id definately "hit it!"

Last edited by Ste_TYPE-R; 27 April 2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 27 April 2008, 12:36 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

technicly not true, they just state your not alowed to drive to a vic without an mot, just get a duplicate printed up mate

i take my cars to vic on a back of a truck, half the time there still in primer etc, only due to the stupid system and time it takes to get logbook etc

if the car is mot'd and taxed etc drive it.

or just pop it down for a vic 36 quid takes 20 mins
Old 27 April 2008, 08:20 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

My old MG was written off (Cat C)

Trying to remember the sequence ... pretty sure it was Insure it, MOT it, VIC and then straight to Postoffice to Tax it. The VIC appointment was a few weeks in advance so got that booked and planned the rest round it.

I also bought the car as aprt fo the settlement - I dont believ the v5 has any record of the "sale" - though it does of course have the "needs VIC" maker for the interim period.

You may have to wait between VIC & Tax for the system to update but I'm sure I did mine the same day.

Both MOT and VIC were pre-booked so legal to drive it untaxed to/from those appointments.

I was shocked that the only real test on a Cat D/C write off before returning to the road was a normal MOT. VIC was laughable. Does the Chassis number match the V5....given you can get blank chassis plates off ebay "for restorations" its not going to catch anyone.....not that ringing old MGs is going to make anyone very rich

Last edited by dsmith; 27 April 2008 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 27 April 2008, 11:27 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

bought a Cat C , (was SORN at the time of purchase) sent off the New Keepers part of the Owners doc to Doovlah, had documents back pretty quickly.. soon as, i got it Mot'd and Taxed and booked a Vic (cost about £35-£40) drove it up there, sat in room , guy came in with clipboard, called reg no. i gave him keys, it went into a 'bay' of sorts.. shutters came down.. about ten mins later, guy came back , said thank you gave me my keys and a pass cert and i drove home.. easy as
Old 24 January 2012, 10:19 PM
abdul92
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by apples24
technicly not true, they just state your not alowed to drive to a vic without an mot, just get a duplicate printed up mate

i take my cars to vic on a back of a truck, half the time there still in primer etc, only due to the stupid system and time it takes to get logbook etc

if the car is mot'd and taxed etc drive it.

or just pop it down for a vic 36 quid takes 20 mins

hi there i'm in a bit of a situation here i think you might be able to help me.

I have a honda civic 1.8 vti that is registerd as a 1.4 on taxbook it needs vic doing will it fail vic if they find out its a diffrent engine?
Old 24 January 2012, 10:22 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Yes.
Old 24 January 2012, 10:23 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

And nice thread resurrection
Old 24 January 2012, 10:24 PM
abdul92
Scooby Newbie

whats the best thing to do?
Old 24 January 2012, 10:25 PM
abdul92
Scooby Newbie

and what could they do about it?
Old 24 January 2012, 10:27 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Probably check if the engine was legit, could even put your car on a Q plate.
Old 24 January 2012, 10:34 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Best thing to do, scrap it.
Old 24 January 2012, 10:35 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

no they couldnt dont be stupid

you will be fine, they wont even go as far as to lookup the engine number

as long as the vin is original etc your ok
Old 24 January 2012, 10:43 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Shhhh!
Old 24 January 2012, 10:43 PM
abdul92
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by apples24
no they couldnt dont be stupid

you will be fine, they wont even go as far as to lookup the engine number

as long as the vin is original etc your ok
Thanks apples24
Old 24 January 2012, 10:48 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

pmsl i missed that one
Old 24 January 2012, 10:56 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

On a serious note look here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022107

I work for Vosa so will put a marker on the system for a 1.4 Civic with a 1.8 engine, they'll go over it extra carefully for you
Old 24 January 2012, 11:04 PM
abdul92
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scoobyvirgin
On a serious note look here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022107

I work for Vosa so will put a marker on the system for a 1.4 Civic with a 1.8 engine, they'll go over it extra carefully for you
you go doo that you joke