Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How safe is sending money by bank transfer ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2008, 10:18 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How safe is sending money by bank transfer ?

I want to pay for a high value ebay item, can you tell me how safe is it to pay by bank transfer and do you have anything on your side if things did go pear shaped like the seller not sending the item etc. Its £900 the amount involved.

Last edited by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby; 25 April 2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 25 April 2008, 10:21 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Take care mate, I bought a roll cage and paid by BT as my paypal account was playing up. Cage turned up crash damaged - I lost 340 quid. I later found out I could have returned it and the bank would try and get my money back. Use paypal if you can, much safer.
Old 25 April 2008, 10:23 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Originally Posted by T5OLF
Take care mate, I bought a roll cage and paid by BT as my paypal account was playing up. Cage turned up crash damaged - I lost 340 quid. I later found out I could have retuned it and the ank would try and get y money back. Use paypal if you can, much safer.
He said he doesn`t have paypal anymore as he closed it because the fees were too high, he seems genuine as he has offered an option for the buyer to collect in person but i can`t travel that far mainly because of work, i couldn`t get the time.
Old 25 April 2008, 11:15 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Has anyone else got an opinion as i`m about to send the money soon ?
Old 25 April 2008, 11:19 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Ill be honest, sounds dodgy, id avoid, with ebay you can make a complaint etc, with bank transfer he can take your money and you haven't a pot to p1ss in.....so to speak.

Its your call, but id talk to him and see what other arrangement you can come up with if you want it bad.
Old 25 April 2008, 11:19 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

what was his ebay feedback like?

Perhaps email one of his previosu buyers to see if it all went ok??
Old 25 April 2008, 11:50 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

I avoid anyone without a Paypal option, it's too much hassle if things go wrong.

Trending Topics

Old 26 April 2008, 06:56 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

the actual transfer is safe as houses. The money cant go missing and the payment wont "bounce".
It all depends on the honesty of the recipient though. If its someone you trust, then yes, its perfectly safe. If its Joe Random whom you have never met and who is planning to rip you off, you may as well flush your cash down the bog. No comebacks, no refunds, no complaints procedure.

imo £900 is too much to risk with a stranger.

If you want / need this item that badly, find or make the time to go and collect it.
Old 26 April 2008, 08:22 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Chances are that he doesnt have paypal anymore because they closed his account due to him getting too many chargebacks from people !

There would be no reason for him 'not to have paypal' as if he didnt accept it anymore, he wouldnt need to close his account with them, and could still use it to pay for stuff he has bought.

For £900 unless the seller has lots ( at least a few hundred ) of recent positive feedback for selling, I would either collect or forget about it.
Old 26 April 2008, 11:19 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

I dont take paypal for high value any more due to them being robbing *******s with their extortionate fees, and also the fact that is isnt particuarly safe for the seller- too many chances for buyers to do charge backs, pay with stolen cards which get charged back, people with unconfirmed addresses, filing a 'not received as described claim' then sending a brick back by special delivery which results in a chargeback.
Greater variety of risks for sellers when accepting paypal.

ebay+paypal fees= ridiculous

I have just under 1000 100% positive feedbacks and am a powerseller - it is clearly stated in listing that pick up& cash is preferred, and that I only accept paypal on higher value items from reputable ebayers with decent feedback once an agreement is reached regarding fees, and from a confirmed address only.
If people dont trust that then they can go elsewhere, but I know I am not alone in not liking paypal at the moment.

Look at his feedback-if its decent, has a record of selling stuff (preferrably high priced stuff) then go for it.

Last edited by Freak; 26 April 2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 26 April 2008, 11:24 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Where is the item and where is it coming to ?
Is there no way to arrange the handing over of the cash, i.e a local member or something ?
Old 26 April 2008, 03:55 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Originally Posted by Snazy
Where is the item and where is it coming to ?
Is there no way to arrange the handing over of the cash, i.e a local member or something ?
The item is in Birmingham and i am just outside Carlisle. To be honest the seller only has a 9 rating which i am not happy about but they have genuine pics of the item and they have said the winning bidder can collect the item in person which seems genuine enough to me.
Old 26 April 2008, 04:07 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
what was his ebay feedback like?
that means jack sh*t unfortunatly ,i bought something from ebay 3 weeks ago he had feedback of a 1000 and was a power seller with no negative still havnt recieved it and have sent about 6 messages to him but has he replied NO
so i started a dispute afew days ago with paypal and he still hasnt contacted me or paypal .

i thought he might of been on holiday but he is quick to keep selling things and buying things on ebay

Old 26 April 2008, 05:04 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

wow, a feedback of 9?
forget it. No way on earth would I randomly send £900 to someone with such low feeback, no matter what.

carlisle to birmingham and back is still easilly possible in a day. If you need it, go and get it.
Old 26 April 2008, 05:14 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Agreed
9 feedback- no way pedro
Pick it up, or see if you can pay him extra to deliver it or meet you half way.
Old 26 April 2008, 05:31 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

This is a question, not a suggestion.

Does it ever work for a buyer to send say, half the money, and then the balance on receipt of goods?

That way there is an element of trust on both parties but, of course, seller can still rip buyer off but to a lesser extent. dl
Old 26 April 2008, 05:34 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
The item is in Birmingham and i am just outside Carlisle. To be honest the seller only has a 9 rating which i am not happy about but they have genuine pics of the item and they have said the winning bidder can collect the item in person which seems genuine enough to me.
Yeah the offer of collection in person sounds fair enough mate. How big is the item? Not worth the trip, or sending someone there? Must be someone local willing to broker the deal
Old 28 April 2008, 03:16 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
the actual transfer is safe as houses. The money cant go missing and the payment wont "bounce".
It all depends on the honesty of the recipient though. If its someone you trust, then yes, its perfectly safe. If its Joe Random whom you have never met and who is planning to rip you off, you may as well flush your cash down the bog. No comebacks, no refunds, no complaints procedure.

imo £900 is too much to risk with a stranger.

If you want / need this item that badly, find or make the time to go and collect it.
I'm afraid its not mate!
I had money transfered into my bank account and it went through Barclays Bank, who promptly lost it and denied all responsibility! I only got it after a few months when I threatend to get the Police involved to investigate the theft of my money!
Old 28 April 2008, 03:42 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Shouldnt this question have been asked before buying the product and outbidding others. This is what pee's me off about ebay, too many people just fek about on it.
Old 28 April 2008, 04:03 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I paid for a holiday to germany through bank transfer. simply transfered the cost into so random german person's bank account and all went fine. If you have the reciept etc then the money will not go missing.

Speak to your bank about the options for insurance. Paypal is just as easy to get a rip off from by someone who knows what they are doing for example. It is a total scam and i don't like it either. Generally ask for a cheque!

5t.