Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Calzaghe Fight

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2008, 11:53 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calzaghe Fight

When does it kick off on Saturday night ?? Looking at the information it's a 10:30pm but surely if its in Vegas then thats a bit early.??
Old 16 April 2008, 11:56 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

2am the actual fight isnt it?
Old 16 April 2008, 12:14 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
2am the actual fight isnt it?
Yup I think so
Old 16 April 2008, 12:16 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

3am
Old 16 April 2008, 12:25 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

getting later and later Got a day session planned aswell as this and I have to get up for footy in the morning. Not going to be a great weekend.
Old 16 April 2008, 12:30 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

getting later and later Got a day session planned aswell as this and I have to get up for footy in the morning. Not going to be a great weekend.
Similar here, got a stag do on saturday all day and then a 30th on sunday
Old 16 April 2008, 12:32 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'm playing footy on sat aft. At night going into Leeds for a few with the lads then for a curry before back to mine for more drinks and a bit of a Wii session before the fight. I'll no doubt intersperse that with late night texts to random women in my phone
Old 16 April 2008, 01:00 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Look at us all complaining about our party style weekend coming up. Least we're not all sat at home with a wife and kids
Old 16 April 2008, 01:59 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

I'll be watching it at the weekend!

Dunno who's gonna win like?

On another note, its only 5 weeks to Hatton's homecoming in Manchester! & I have pitch side tickets!!
Old 16 April 2008, 02:16 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Look at us all complaining about our party style weekend coming up. Least we're not all sat at home with a wife and kids
funny thing is I wish I was at home with the mrs (only for the sky box!!)
Old 16 April 2008, 02:22 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RMA26
I'll be watching it at the weekend!

Dunno who's gonna win like?

On another note, its only 5 weeks to Hatton's homecoming in Manchester! & I have pitch side tickets!!
Calzaghe I reckon in around about the 7th round. IMO he will be to strong and too fast for Hopkins
Old 16 April 2008, 02:53 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
Calzaghe I reckon in around about the 7th round. IMO he will be to strong and too fast for Hopkins
Calzaghe has the skill to knock him out, both are clever fighters tho

Interesting article here

CALZAGHE v HOPKINS ANALYSIS | Sporting Life - Boxing News | Joe Calzaghe v Bernard Hopkins, Amir Khan, Fight Reports, Ricky Hatton
Old 16 April 2008, 02:53 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Anyone seen Superfights on Nuts TV on freeview? Came across it last night whilst channel surfing and never turned Nuts TV on before. Had the Nigel Benn fight with Kid Milo. What a superb fight and wish boxing would get back to how good it used to be. Will keep a look out for this now and hopefully see the Benn vs Eubank fights on it again as they were superb
It is starting to pick back up, interested to see what Haye will do with the heavyweight division
Old 16 April 2008, 03:05 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Anyone seen Superfights on Nuts TV on freeview? Came across it last night whilst channel surfing and never turned Nuts TV on before. Had the Nigel Benn fight with Kid Milo. What a superb fight and wish boxing would get back to how good it used to be. Will keep a look out for this now and hopefully see the Benn vs Eubank fights on it again as they were superb
not seen that, but espn classic quite often have the Benn and Eubank fights on

Watched Benn vs "Sugar" Boy Malinga the other day on there
Old 16 April 2008, 03:09 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

It is starting to pick back up, interested to see what Haye will do with the heavyweight division
anything anyone does with the heavyweight division will be an improvement. Ive never known it to be so poor as it is now. Heavyweight used to be the most high profile of the weight divisions, but that has dropped into obscurity now imo with the lighter weights (welter etc) now being the most action packed.

Watched Cotto the other day against Gomez. Commentator made me laugh, he said either Cotto feels sorry for Gomez by not knocking him out or he hates him and just wants to prolong his punishment
Old 16 April 2008, 03:21 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

anything anyone does with the heavyweight division will be an improvement. Ive never known it to be so poor as it is now. Heavyweight used to be the most high profile of the weight divisions, but that has dropped into obscurity now imo with the lighter weights (welter etc) now being the most action packed.

Watched Cotto the other day against Gomez. Commentator made me laugh, he said either Cotto feels sorry for Gomez by not knocking him out or he hates him and just wants to prolong his punishment
Missed the Cotto fight dont have Sky, but apparently Gomez took a right pounding, silly boy shouldn't have thought he could beat cotto just cos he beat Tackie & Gatti

Still have admiration for Gomez tho, he's come on along way since the Contender so has Mora, Peter Manfredo Jnr cant seem to hold any good fights since his *** whooping against Calzaghe

Interested to see what Cotto does against Antonio Margarito
Old 16 April 2008, 03:29 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Missed the Cotto fight dont have Sky, but apparently Gomez took a right pounding, silly boy shouldn't have thought he could beat cotto just cos he beat Tackie & Gatti
It was a shame to watch as me and the mrs followed Gomez throughout the contender, and considering he was fighting middleweights then he did brilliantly. He caught the others on their way down really, and unfortunately the difference in class was too great. I mean Cotto is a great fighter but Gomez couldnt get near him. I think Cotto and Mayweather would be a tremendous fight, both have skills

Interested to see what Cotto does against Antonio Margarito
Yes, be interesting that, I watched Margarito as well, and he is a strange fighter, appears to have a granite chin and just doesnt stop coming forward. He wore his opponent down and took everything that was thrown at him (for about 3 rounds anyway)
I still think that Cotto would win but it would be on points (unless Cotto tires then Margarito takes advantage)
Old 16 April 2008, 03:30 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Wonder how Enzo Maccarinelli will bounce back after his defeat at Haye's hands?
Old 16 April 2008, 03:37 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

It was a shame to watch as me and the mrs followed Gomez throughout the contender, and considering he was fighting middleweights then he did brilliantly. He caught the others on their way down really, and unfortunately the difference in class was too great. I mean Cotto is a great fighter but Gomez couldnt get near him. I think Cotto and Mayweather would be a tremendous fight, both have skills

Yes, be interesting that, I watched Margarito as well, and he is a strange fighter, appears to have a granite chin and just doesnt stop coming forward. He wore his opponent down and took everything that was thrown at him (for about 3 rounds anyway)
I still think that Cotto would win but it would be on points (unless Cotto tires then Margarito takes advantage)
Most definitely agree, be interesting to see if

A) Hatton V Mayweather 2 comes off @ Wembley
B) Hatton V Witter happens - personally i hope it doesnt, witter doesn't deserve the fight IMHO
C) Mayweather V Cotto happens, before FM 'retires' again, would be a hell of a fight

Will be routing for Calzaghe this weekend

Think the Contender rights have recently been bought by another network? Is it me or was last series poor in comparrison to previous series's?

Grady Brewer, Cornellious "K9" Bundrage were just too over hyped IMHO, it lost its purpose & became too commercial, the UK V USA series was just poor
Old 16 April 2008, 03:44 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

yeah contender has lost it I agree.

I think if Hatton fights Mayweather again the result will be the same unfortunately

I thought Mayweather was just different class to Hatton to be honest, Hatton to me can only do one thing, and although he does it well, facing someone as adaptable as Mayweather is going to result in defeat. I do hope I am wrong with that though but I dont think I will be. (also the british press will say that mayweather is on his way down etc etc etc )
Old 16 April 2008, 03:52 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

yeah contender has lost it I agree.

I think if Hatton fights Mayweather again the result will be the same unfortunately

I thought Mayweather was just different class to Hatton to be honest, Hatton to me can only do one thing, and although he does it well, facing someone as adaptable as Mayweather is going to result in defeat. I do hope I am wrong with that though but I dont think I will be. (also the british press will say that mayweather is on his way down etc etc etc )
Very true, although having Cortez as the ref didnt help, lets hope Calzaghe has more luck with Cortez on sat as he's the ref for that fight too

Mayweather is a a briliant fighter, but i would hope that if Hatton meets him again, he'll have learnt by his mistakes last time and try not to rush the fight so much

Cant wait till i'm sat pitch side at Hatton's homecoming, 5 weeks and counting!
Old 16 April 2008, 04:07 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

yeah the ref didnt help by not allowing Hatton to stick to his gameplan, however personally I still think Mayweather was/is to much for him at that weight. Hatton has struggled I feel at the slightly heavier weight which is surprising as I thought with his build he could maybe go up a few weights.

If Mayweather came down in weight though and there was a decent ref then I think it would be more of a fight.

Bet you cant wait to be pitch side
Old 16 April 2008, 04:15 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

yeah the ref didnt help by not allowing Hatton to stick to his gameplan, however personally I still think Mayweather was/is to much for him at that weight. Hatton has struggled I feel at the slightly heavier weight which is surprising as I thought with his build he could maybe go up a few weights.

If Mayweather came down in weight though and there was a decent ref then I think it would be more of a fight.

Bet you cant wait to be pitch side
Thing is, Mayweather isn't particularly a big Welter

Would like to think Cotto would give him a good run for his money
Old 16 April 2008, 04:28 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally can't see Calzaghe stopping Hopkins. Hopkins will spoil for most of the fight, and it will be pretty boring to watch.
I'll still be waiting up though
Joe has got to be carefull and keep his work rate high. There are a lot of bias judges in the US, and a convincing win on points, can mean something else on their scorecards.

RMA26, I know you love the boxing (you always start most of the threads), but to say Witter doesn't deserve to fight Hatton Come on. Its like saying Nigel Benn didn't deserve Eubank.
Both are the high ranking UK fighters, Hatton just had a better promoter.
I've gone right off Hatton with all his excuses for not fighting Witter. Yeah he wants to make as much money as possible by taking big names. But look at the publicity boxing got from Haye vs Enzo Mac. Everyone loves an all British tear up.
Old 16 April 2008, 04:59 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Stayed up too watch the last few big fights on sopcast but Sunday is derby day so dunno if il bother with this one
Old 16 April 2008, 05:39 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Calzaghe won't knock him out but his work rate will be too much for Hopkins & far to high for the judges to have any bias....going to have a few quid on a points win.
Old 16 April 2008, 09:25 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
I personally can't see Calzaghe stopping Hopkins. Hopkins will spoil for most of the fight, and it will be pretty boring to watch.
I'll still be waiting up though
Joe has got to be carefull and keep his work rate high. There are a lot of bias judges in the US, and a convincing win on points, can mean something else on their scorecards.

RMA26, I know you love the boxing (you always start most of the threads), but to say Witter doesn't deserve to fight Hatton Come on. Its like saying Nigel Benn didn't deserve Eubank.
Both are the high ranking UK fighters, Hatton just had a better promoter.
I've gone right off Hatton with all his excuses for not fighting Witter. Yeah he wants to make as much money as possible by taking big names. But look at the publicity boxing got from Haye vs Enzo Mac. Everyone loves an all British tear up.
Thing is Witter has done nothing but slag Hatton off for years, almost like he's been attention seeking from the publicity, cant blame Hatton for not wanting to fight him or witter deserving the fight, both are equally good fighters but if you ask me witter rates himself much higher, his arrogance is what people dont like IMHO on this subject anyway, no doubt it would be a hell of a fight but Hatton is a down to earth guy he rarely slags people off, unlike witter, which in my eyes makes Hatton the bigger man - Witter is simply riding on the back of the publicity to get the bigger fights