Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question about snakes - is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2008, 11:14 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Question about snakes - is this true?

My wife came home last night and told me about a story she'd heard. Shes a hairdresser so I get all manner of gossip and stories largely about people I have no idea who she is on about. However, this little nugget got my attention.

A lady who was absolutely mad about snakes and owned a constrictor used to go as far as letting the thing sleep on her bed next to her. Anyway, on night she gets a fright as the snake has gone completely rigid and straight. She panics and thinks the snake is having a fit but it doesn't last very long.

All seems fine but again when she is near the snake it goes rigid and completely straight. This happens a fair few times over the course of a week so she goes to the vets for advice - thinking the snake is fitting.

Apparently the snake even does this straight thing whilst shes with the vets and he asks her to leave the room.

He comes out shortly after and apologises but has had to put the snake down. She gets obviously upset and angry but the vet says that if he had allowed her to go home with the snake its more than likely the snake would make an attempt to eat her.

This going rigid straight business was the snake sizing itself up to her to decide if it could swallow her!!! The vet reckoned it was setting itself up to have a go at her.

Never heard of this one before so I ask those who know snakes - could this happen?
Old 10 April 2008, 11:18 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Python Measures Victim

Wife - FAIL.
Old 10 April 2008, 11:19 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This one was debated a while ago on SN. IIRC the very same story appeared on Radio 1
Old 10 April 2008, 11:22 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Radio 1 had this on one day and shortly after the thread appeared discussing it. Load of rubbish as I recall
Old 10 April 2008, 11:23 AM
jimmyv
Scooby Regular

sounds unlikely, never heard of a snake sizing up prey like that cos surely they use heat receptors on their head/tongue or just go for it.
Also surely no vet would have put down an animal without consent, and putting down an animal cos its a might peckish seems a bit extreme.
Could be wrong though, hope that helps
Old 10 April 2008, 11:39 AM
bish667
Scooby Regular

So the only reason the vet asked her to leave the room was to put the snake down.
You would have thought the vet would have told her to keep it in its tank/home instead of sleeping with the owner in her bed and it would have been ok without having to put it down.
I assume a constricter can be kept outside its tank without a problem then? As most snakes require the right heating/lighting etc.

I keep tarantulas but dont know that much about snakes
Old 10 April 2008, 11:41 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

LOL

I'll point this out to her tonight.

I was going along with it up to the point of the vet putting the snake down. Don't see why it would have to be put down.

Oh well, it keeps them amused while playing with each others hair
Old 10 April 2008, 11:46 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I think the more obvious reason it isn't true is because if snakes had to repeatedly size up prey, rather than just going for it, they wouldn't exist on account of being extinct through starving to death.
Old 10 April 2008, 12:20 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol. My girlfreinds a hairdresser too, so I had this gem recently:

A woman had a year old baby that kept crying in his/her room, but she couldn't work out why. It seemed to only be in the baby's room.
blah, blah, blah. The mothers friend came round one day, and went to tend to the baby. After she settled it down, she told the mother it was probably that wierd looking clown in the corner of the room scaring the baby. The mother said "What clown?" and it turns out a local loon, that happened to be a bit of a midget, would dress as a clown, and break into the room each night. The police caught him etc.

I was in stiches that she could believe this, and told some freinds later that week when we went to Ireland. They finished the story for me, as it apparently supposed to have happened there too!
Old 10 April 2008, 01:26 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by EddScott
My wife came home last night and told me about a story she'd heard. Shes a hairdresser so I get all manner of gossip and stories largely about people I have no idea who she is on about. However, this little nugget got my attention.

A lady who was absolutely mad about snakes and owned a constrictor used to go as far as letting the thing sleep on her bed next to her. Anyway, on night she gets a fright as the snake has gone completely rigid and straight. She panics and thinks the snake is having a fit but it doesn't last very long.

All seems fine but again when she is near the snake it goes rigid and completely straight. This happens a fair few times over the course of a week so she goes to the vets for advice - thinking the snake is fitting.

Apparently the snake even does this straight thing whilst shes with the vets and he asks her to leave the room.

He comes out shortly after and apologises but has had to put the snake down. She gets obviously upset and angry but the vet says that if he had allowed her to go home with the snake its more than likely the snake would make an attempt to eat her.

This going rigid straight business was the snake sizing itself up to her to decide if it could swallow her!!! The vet reckoned it was setting itself up to have a go at her.

Never heard of this one before so I ask those who know snakes - could this happen?

Complete Bollox!

Very few snakes are large anough to eat a human, even the biggest ones would have problems with our shoulders.

There are lots of reports of snakes eating humans in tribal villages, but I 'm not sure if any have ever been substantiated!

A large constrictor could certainly kill an adult without breaking into a sweat though, and a bite would open you up like a tin of beans. The kind of constrictors people generally buy though i.e. Burmese and Royal pythons, Boas etc are either a) usually very docile b)not big enough to pose a serious threat if handled correctly.

Ns04
Old 10 April 2008, 01:30 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Complete Bollox!

Very few snakes are large anough to eat a human, even the biggest ones would have problems with our shoulders.

There are lots of reports of snakes eating humans in tribal villages, but I 'm not sure if any have ever been substantiated!

A large constrictor could certainly kill an adult without breaking into a sweat though, and a bite would open you up like a tin of beans. The kind of constrictors people generally buy though i.e. Burmese and Royal pythons, Boas etc are either a) usually very docile b)not big enough to pose a serious threat if handled correctly.

Ns04
Seen the following story a few years ago (well ok best part of 10 years ago) and never did find out if its complete bollox or not, want to shed any light?

Snake Swallows Man!
Old 10 April 2008, 02:01 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by davegtt
Seen the following story a few years ago (well ok best part of 10 years ago) and never did find out if its complete bollox or not, want to shed any light?

Snake Swallows Man!
Can't see what end they've cut open, but if its the tail end then its deffo fake, snakes swallow prey head first, so the victim would be the wrong way around.

Personally, I don't buy it, the corpse appears in very good shape and large constrictors have a very powerful stomach acid. More likely the snake took a goat!

The problem with such reposts are that there are so many ways a jungle could kill you and predators like snakes are a convenent scapegoat to account for unexplained deaths, or to attact a bit of tourism or demonise them in the eyes of locals so no-one complains when they get skinned profit!

Ns04
Old 10 April 2008, 02:08 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Man Eaten by Snake
Old 10 April 2008, 02:33 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Ridiculous story and a complete load of bollox. Snakes use tape measures.
Old 10 April 2008, 03:05 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo

A woman had a year old baby that kept crying in his/her room, but she couldn't work out why. It seemed to only be in the baby's room.
blah, blah, blah. The mothers friend came round one day, and went to tend to the baby. After she settled it down, she told the mother it was probably that wierd looking clown in the corner of the room scaring the baby. The mother said "What clown?" and it turns out a local loon, that happened to be a bit of a midget, would dress as a clown, and break into the room each night. The police caught him etc.

I was in stiches that she could believe this, and told some freinds later that week when we went to Ireland. They finished the story for me, as it apparently supposed to have happened there too!
OMFG - Do they work in the same salon?

I've had this one too

Must be a trait of being a hairdresser - believe any old bollox.
Old 10 April 2008, 03:11 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Thats the funniest story I have heard on scoobynet for a while, I am still laughing about it 10 minutes after i read this thread!

Old 10 April 2008, 03:14 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Ridiculous story and a complete load of bollox. Snakes use tape measures.
And ladders.
Old 10 April 2008, 03:29 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

I tell ya you don'y want to be anywhere near a King Brown or a Taipan where I live. They bite first and then...........(death)!
Old 10 April 2008, 03:37 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I've been known to lay the odd deadly king brown.
Old 10 April 2008, 03:44 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I had this one too, from my girlfriends collegue, who has just been sent a link to this thread and should be reading it about now.

Hi
Old 10 April 2008, 06:11 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Battle of the giants: python bursts eating gator - Science - Specials

I know it's not in English, but you get the drift....
Snake VS Croc Video - Metacafe

Last edited by zip106; 10 April 2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10 April 2008, 06:35 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

They teach hairdressers this sort of stuff in college. How else could they drag the courses out?
Old 10 April 2008, 08:29 PM
Gramayr
Scooby Regular

Well, here it is - a man eating snake!
Old 10 April 2008, 09:12 PM
Ru55e11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott

My snake, Suzi, is a 9ft Boa Constrictor.

This story is a myth.

<Russ>
Old 10 April 2008, 09:18 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.