Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Emission Based Congestion Charge

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2008, 11:12 PM
gar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emission Based Congestion Charge

TfL-commissioned research shows congestion charges actually increase carbon levels - totallymotor.co.uk

Last edited by gar; 09 April 2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10 April 2008, 07:58 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Now there is a shocker!
I dont think its actually the charge itself taking the levels up, but the underhanded changes to the roads and signals slowing everything down to JUSTIFY the CC.

Not that that will change anything of course. All that will do is support the restructuring of the pricing.
Old 10 April 2008, 08:14 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

now this is an appropriate time to do this
Old 10 April 2008, 08:25 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
now this is an appropriate time to do this
Or to Ken, and get rid of him. Not that its going to reverse the CC, but might slow the rip off down, and maybe even get the traffic moving how it could.
Old 10 April 2008, 08:35 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Or to Ken, and get rid of him. Not that its going to reverse the CC, but might slow the rip off down, and maybe even get the traffic moving how it could.
true, boris has already intoned in his manifesto and guidelines that he is in favour of keeping the CC (who wouldnt when you see the money coming in) but would relax the payment times and get rid of the fining system.

now if he can scrap any further charges, get rid of the bendy buses, change the traffic light sequence, fine the ****ing roadwork companies for being late, then maybe, just maye, we may get the traffic flowing again..
Old 10 April 2008, 10:32 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The whole business is purely for making money of course as well as screwing the hated motorist as far as he can. These lefty prats jump in with all these starry initiatives without having ever thought the consequences through, not that they care anyway!

I wonder why these smart **** people have to ruin our language by making up these strange words. Could hardly believe the word "disbenefit" for goodness sake! The use of the word "non" is far nearer to correct English.

Les
Old 10 April 2008, 11:50 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
"Using models to assess the impact of the new charge on emissions, the report's finds a "very high disbenefit" is predicted, ......" They mean, Les, that there will be 'no benefit' ...... which would be correct English - but if they wrote in correct English we'd all be able to see through their little schemes .. Or it could just mean that the author had a 'recent' education. i.e. a very poor one.

As for the 'tfl not publishing the report' - smacks of the way Ken won't publish the report into motorcycles in bus lanes - which show a 42% reduction in all casualties, spread out amongst ALL road users, if they are allowed to use them. This doesn't fit with his ideas for getting everyone off of private transport. And it would help congestion ...

Dave
Yes not difficult to work out what he meant Dave, but it just annoys me when they try to impress us or try to confuse the answer by using what they think are clever made up words along the same lines as "business speak".

Les
Old 10 April 2008, 12:04 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The whole business is purely for making money of course as well as screwing the hated motorist as far as he can. These lefty prats jump in with all these starry initiatives without having ever thought the consequences through, not that they care anyway!

I wonder why these smart **** people have to ruin our language by making up these strange words. Could hardly believe the word "disbenefit" for goodness sake! The use of the word "non" is far nearer to correct English.

Les
"Using models to assess the impact of the new charge on emissions, the report's finds a "very high disbenefit" is predicted, ......" They mean, Les, that there will be 'no benefit' ...... which would be correct English - but if they wrote in correct English we'd all be able to see through their little schemes .. Or it could just mean that the author had a 'recent' education. i.e. a very poor one.
Lawks - Which poor education did you two have?

Disbenefit is a perfectly proper word.

"no" benefit implies neither an advantage nor disavantage

"Disbenefit" means that something was supposed to have a benefit - infact, has the exact opposite effect - I.e. something that was supposed to reduce emissions, infact, creates more emissions - Hence "Disbenefit"

Bloody illiterates
Old 10 April 2008, 12:05 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

true, boris has already intoned in his manifesto and guidelines that he is in favour of keeping the CC (who wouldnt when you see the money coming in) but would relax the payment times and get rid of the fining system.

now if he can scrap any further charges, get rid of the bendy buses, change the traffic light sequence, fine the ****ing roadwork companies for being late, then maybe, just maye, we may get the traffic flowing again..
Yup thats how I read his manifesto too mate
Also making CC subscription possible as done in other countries, with monthly billing etc.

All in all its the most positive thing I seen proposed for traffic in a long time. And as people keep saying. There is no point saying, I dont live in London, its does not affect me, au contrair, once the London CC starts to spread... it will be road pricing but under a different banner

Also is the reopening of the blackwall tunnel tidal flow..Cant wait for that one!
Old 10 April 2008, 12:30 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Still not 'plain English' though ......
Well quite - I wouldn't use it
Old 10 April 2008, 12:59 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

It's all Hilary Clinton speak now..........

I've spoken to several people at TfL and they are pretty hopeless. Common sense doesn't appear in their agenda. They are mostly bogged down in Euro emission regulation which is mostly over their heads it seems (and mine to some extent ) dl
Old 10 April 2008, 01:31 PM
gar
Scooby Regular

Boris must be visiting these forums. Did anyone tune in for the debate at LBC today, 8-9 ? What you wrote there is exactly what Boris proposed this morning, might even be in the same order ... He is also the only candidate of the three who drives a car.
Old 10 April 2008, 02:02 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

There is always a "way" around a tax. Congestion tax, carbon trading (tax), carbon offsets (tax), will in absolutely no way reduce CO2 emissions (Even in the developed world). It will only make some people, MP's inparticular, richer, the rest (tax payers) poorer (Forget the "third world" they are expendible)!

But watch Inidia outstrip the world in 10 years and become the biggest economy the world has ever seen (China might get there, but I think not. Indians are smarter).

Last edited by Klaatu; 10 April 2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10 April 2008, 02:57 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gar
Boris must be visiting these forums. Did anyone tune in for the debate at LBC today, 8-9 ? What you wrote there is exactly what Boris proposed this morning, might even be in the same order ... He is also the only candidate of the three who drives a car.
LOL
didnt listen to LBC..that rotter boris or his speech writers have nicked my ideas...
Old 11 April 2008, 05:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Lawks - Which poor education did you two have?

Disbenefit is a perfectly proper word.

"no" benefit implies neither an advantage nor disavantage

"Disbenefit" means that something was supposed to have a benefit - infact, has the exact opposite effect - I.e. something that was supposed to reduce emissions, infact, creates more emissions - Hence "Disbenefit"

Bloody illiterates
You must have the advantage of us Pete, but it just does not sound like a proper English word, and like you I certainly would not use it.

Les