Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How to install Satellite dish....satellite finder?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2002, 09:40 PM
Alan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've just purchased a Polish satellite system for my good lady.

After spending 2 hours on the roof moving the dish around mm by mm, I finally found a signal. Unfortunately it is only registering 2 out of 5. I need at least 3.5 for it to work properly.

I have tried to adjust it, but cannot do any better. The dish is pointing roughly South (probably 13 east of South).

Does anyone know how I can find out where the other satellites are without spending another 2+ hours on the roof?

Anyone know a good installer in the Wimbledon area? I've done all the hard work, I just need it to be tuned in.

I have heard there is a satellite finder, anyone used one before?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Regards, Alan
Old 27 January 2002, 09:50 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Can't help you (sorry!), but maybe you can help me!

My wife is Polish and wants Polish TV, what kind of dish and receiver did you have to buy? I have Sky Digital, do you know if the can co-exist?

Thanks for your help!

Steve.
Old 28 January 2002, 12:34 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Alan,
What size dish are you using? If you cannot get a good enough signal through positioning then it may be too small.
Old 28 January 2002, 07:52 AM
Alan
Scooby Regular

Steve,

I am using CYFRA+, which I purchased in Poland. I had to pay one years subscription up front to take it out of the country. It works at £8 a month for the best package inc dish/decoder etc.

I will ask around to see if Sky Digital can be modified.

Chaz,

Thanks for the info. I am using a 60cm dish, which should be more than adequate. My friends have the same system, live in a ground floor flat in a built up area at the bottom of a hill. They manage fine.

Two possible things wrong:

a) I have found the wrong satellite (help me find another!)
b) I bought the cable abroad, and ordered 47 metres. Maybe it is too long, I have a bundle coiled up in the loft. I didn't want to hard wire it until I was sure it worked. I can't get on the roof again until Tuesday am or Wed pm, and only then can I cut it.

Thanks, Alan

Old 28 January 2002, 09:53 AM
carpet
Scooby Regular

Which way are other peoples dishes facing ?? Cant you copy them and see if that helps ?
Old 28 January 2002, 10:36 AM
mrx76
Scooby Regular

Alan, yes less cable is much better as you could have signal loss over the vast amounts of cable you have.

You should be aiming for Astra 2x which is at 28.2 degrees east for sky digital.
Note that Astra 1x (old Analogue Sky) is on 19.2 degrees so if you line it roughly with other peoples dishes make sure they are the digital ones (smaller dishes, but you can still use 60cm dishes with a digital lnb) and not analogue.

The elevation of the dish should be roughly 24 degrees in your area, also I take it that you have a digital LNB on your dish. I am not too sure what service CYFRA+ is, but is it a digital service?

I work in the satellite industry so I know a little. You could try http://www.lyngsat.com and find a clear digital channel and tune into it so you know when you are locked on.

Hope this helps

Mark
Old 28 January 2002, 11:08 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

mrx76 got a question for you ( Sorry to hijack your thread Alan )

Business partner and I both have Sky digital at our homes but would also like to have it at work too.

We want to have it at our main industrial unit but have been informed we wont be charged Sky's normal rate as its business premises. Is this correct? Could we buy a second have system and install it?
What would you say is the best way to get the full Sky pakage?
Its only for our use and a couple of staff at that particular Unit, NO customers etc will view it.

Any advice?

Thanx

BOB
Old 29 January 2002, 09:04 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

WRXBOB,
Just buy a new or second hand Digibox and then order a card/subscription at your home address then get someone to install it at your premises. Then just call up and say you want to register the card with your new box at your home address, hey presto. There is no way Sky will give you a free dish etc at your business premises, a box will cost about 180 new or 50 quid second hand.

Cheers
Cammy