Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

PA System for Band?

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2008, 10:28 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PA System for Band?

My boy's band need to get a PA system. They'll make the final choice but I am trying to do a little research on prices etc and I had a long chat with a chap who seemed to know his way around PA stuff.

I kept getting directed to Carlsbro kit so first question is whether this is a decent brand?

Basic requirement is for system to play in pubs and maybe small halls. Mixer with circa 10 channels and 2 foldback speakers. 2 guitars (electric lead and bass), drums and vocals and possibly keyboard.

Keep wondering about second hand kit but always worried about breakdowns.

Google is wonderful for pricing but any recommendatiosn for on-line stores would be great. For example shop quoted RRP for a pair of Carlsbro AT12/200S speakers at £349 but they are on-line for £80 each (+ VAT?)

So am I going in the right direction here? Cheers, David

PS. I understand that the Bass guitar output is a critical factor?
Old 06 April 2008, 10:34 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Try Thomann Cyberstore David

They usually have some very good prices on gear even with shipping, my mate kitted out his cabaret duo with a lot of stuff from thomann
Old 06 April 2008, 11:09 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Try Thomann Cyberstore David

They usually have some very good prices on gear even with shipping, my mate kitted out his cabaret duo with a lot of stuff from thomann
Thanks old chap. Looks an excellent start. I'll have a good look around - I like the 3 year Warranry bit

And my gardening plans for today have been slightly curtailed

david
Old 06 April 2008, 12:03 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Bose L1 Model II System at Sound Control

David

Worth having a look at the above, I was really impressed when I saw it demo'ed

Cheers
Old 06 April 2008, 12:27 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Hi David,

Yeh, the key thing with the Carlsbro stuff is that it's rugged. I personally like the Yamaha stuff, and the JBL kit.

Regarding the bass output, I'm guessing that the bass amp has a DI/recording output. This can be fed into the console.

Some venues just don't require the bass going through the PA, as it sounds great in the room without it. We once had a boll0cking for not putting the bass into the PA (the band liked to record their performances to listen back to on the tour bus between gigs - not a pub band either!
Of course, there were loads of ways to record it, but for ease, this option was chosen.

That's the issue with the bass. Drums? Again, depends on the size of the venue - but there's nothing like a nice gated/compressed drum sound with a sprinkle of Lexicon reverb (anorak - sorry!! )

Size of PA, just remember about access to the venue, and who's going to drive the console. I love digital ones (well, the bigger/better ones anyway ) as you can Total Recall/Store the settings - great for if you have to run to the loo!!

Dan
Old 06 April 2008, 12:35 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - that's really helpful. My boy will understand the bits that I don't but I'm learning all the time.

And yes I had thought about transport but haven't come up with the answer yet! I'm too old be a roadie!!

And where do we keep the stuff when not in use. The Marshalls are bad enough.

david
Old 06 April 2008, 01:07 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Carlsboro stuff is OK for them to start with as its pretty well made and reliable.

There are 2 distinct types of PA though !

First is a vocal PA, which is probably all they need if they are planning on playing pubs - this will only amplify the vocals, so really only needs 6 inputs maximum as this should cover everything. None of the instruments will go through the PA ( possibly keyboards if they have them ) and the drums wont need miking up in a small venue. This would normally come with just a pair of speakers on tall stands.

With a vocal PA they really dont want to be DI'ing the bass through it as it will distort the speakers at any volume high enough to be heard clearly. Putting basses through the PA is only worth doing when you get to....

Second type would be a full PA, where everything goes through it - this isnt really worth bothering with unless they are playing club gigs, and most decent clubs have their own in house PA anyway, so the band wouldnt need to bring their own. A decent full PA system is going to cost at least a couple of thousand second hand, and is going to require a van to transport it as you wont get it in the back of a car !

With a vocal PA monitors arent that important as they wont hear much through them anyway - we used to play in clubs with 5K plus full rigs, and still couldnt hear the monitors due to the onstange volume.

In a pub they will need to balance the guitar and bass amp volumes against the drums, which doesnt require a full PA. The setup will basically be the same as they would use when rehearsing.

I would suggest looking at some of the Peavey all in one vocal PA's - they have enough inputs, the mixer and amp are all in one unit, along with reverb, and will basically do everything they need for pubs and small clubs. The speakers are also better quality than the Carlsboros and give a clearer sound.

Some bands can be picky and insist they need a full PA because they want to put everything through it to try and get a perfect sound balance, but in small venues it actually sounds worse putting everything through the PA than it does having the vocals through the PA and the music from the stage sound.

Last edited by MikeCardiff; 06 April 2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06 April 2008, 01:26 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mike - much appreciated

I knew it was going to get sodding complicated

But the boys have been playing together for a while now so will be able to take these thread comments seriously and, hopefully, come up with a sensible compromise.

They have been playing on the London club circuit, the sort of places where unsigned bands show off their abilities (or lack of), hoping to make the big break through but, as you say, most of them have their own PAs.

It's more for the local pubs, clubs and big parties where, they tell me, the sound quality and mix for many bands is awful.

Cheers, David

(off to e-bay for beaten up Transit van prices )