Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Driving on "The Mainland"

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2008, 10:13 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Driving on "The Mainland"

I recently spent just over a week driving around England, a few days around the Kidderminster area, a trip to Hackney, and a couple of days around Milton Keynes. I've a few observations to make, so please bear with me.

1. I want to buy shares in a sign making company! There are SO many signs on the roads, it's damn confusing for us country bumpkins, especially when you get a corner with a 50 "round" speed limit sign, a big yellow panel with a "triangle" sharp left bend with a "30 MPH Maximum" plate, and a sodding great flashing "40" Slow Down sign on a pretty ordinary bend. Which one is the right speed!

2. I love it when you move across county boundaries, and the level of signage, road furniture and road markings goes from bonkers to normal but the road conditions are the same.

3. I saw so many "safety" cameras, red light camera's, Police enforcement camera's, bus lane camera's I felt like Britney Spears bodyguard.

3. I'm glad I was driving a diesel, not my scooby. How much does a fill up cost!

4. There is so much traffic on the roads. It's been a few years since I've driven around London, the increase is very noticeable.

5. Apart from the newer stretches, a lot of roads are in a bad state, pot holes and shoddy road work repairs.

6. Maybe that's why there are so many miserable sods on the road. I let someone out of a side road, as I was crawling along in traffic, and I got a "w anchor" hand signal as thanks.

Any comments?
Old 02 April 2008, 10:42 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunky
I recently spent just over a week driving around England, a few days around the Kidderminster area, a trip to Hackney, and a couple of days around Milton Keynes. I've a few observations to make, so please bear with me.

1. I want to buy shares in a sign making company! There are SO many signs on the roads, it's damn confusing for us country bumpkins, especially when you get a corner with a 50 "round" speed limit sign, a big yellow panel with a "triangle" sharp left bend with a "30 MPH Maximum" plate, and a sodding great flashing "40" Slow Down sign on a pretty ordinary bend. Which one is the right speed!

2. I love it when you move across county boundaries, and the level of signage, road furniture and road markings goes from bonkers to normal but the road conditions are the same.

3. I saw so many "safety" cameras, red light camera's, Police enforcement camera's, bus lane camera's I felt like Britney Spears bodyguard.

3. I'm glad I was driving a diesel, not my scooby. How much does a fill up cost!

4. There is so much traffic on the roads. It's been a few years since I've driven around London, the increase is very noticeable.

5. Apart from the newer stretches, a lot of roads are in a bad state, pot holes and shoddy road work repairs.

6. Maybe that's why there are so many miserable sods on the road. I let someone out of a side road, as I was crawling along in traffic, and I got a "w anchor" hand signal as thanks.

Any comments?

Blimey i bet that was fun,

although, saying that, Guernsey was pretty busy last time i went

I think Sark has the best idea

Mart
Old 03 April 2008, 06:17 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Blimey i bet that was fun,

although, saying that, Guernsey was pretty busy last time i went

I think Sark has the best idea

Mart
Why would I want to marry my cousin
Old 05 April 2008, 06:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunky

Any comments?
Interesting to see your comments especially since you are not used to mainland driving.

Must have been a bit of an eye-opener but now you know what we are all whingeing about. This used to be a good place for enjoyable and comparatively safe driving and I think we have become inured to a lot of the problems you mention because we have had to put up with them for so long now.

It is shameful to take all those billions off the motorist and to spend just a fraction of it on the roads etc. The problems are being allowed to build up for the next people in government to deal with by which time the damage and wear will be impossibly expensive to put right.

Les
Old 05 April 2008, 07:02 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Driving on these roads today is no longer a pleasure, more a chore, with a nice side order of possibly losing your licence for 'minor' infringements caught by a hidden camera up to a kilometer away
Old 05 April 2008, 08:32 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

One word versus six, no I meant kilometer
Old 05 April 2008, 09:11 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Driving on these roads today is no longer a pleasure, more a chore, with a nice side order of possibly losing your licence for 'minor' infringements caught by a hidden camera up to a kilometer away
Yup, sums it up for me, up until a few years back i loved driving, i loved going places in the car.

Not anymore...
Old 06 April 2008, 12:04 AM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Interesting to see your comments especially since you are not used to mainland driving.

Les
Last long trip in the UK was around '94, a fortnight in Scotland in an old V8 Disco. Single figures MPG on the M-ways Weymouth to Aviemore. Cost a small fortune. My off island adventures these days are restricted to France, it's cheaper to get there, cheaper to be there, and a lot less hassle on the roads. Although the Gendarmes are much more active these days. But I'd prefer an on the spot fine to all the aggro I'd get with a UK based "safety" camera. I don't have a license that the DVLA can put points on, so it has to go to court, I have to plead guilty by letter, and get an increased fine as I refused to accept points on my license

Moral of the story is don't speed I suppose, or don't get caught!

Hey ho 3 weeks till my next trip, and I'll have my PPP fitted next week
Old 06 April 2008, 02:45 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I spend alot of time in Guernsey for work and have had some very scary taxi rides across the island from the airport and Farmhouse hotel to St Peter Port......dark, no lights, narrow roads and a lunatic driver......
Old 06 April 2008, 02:20 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by druddle
dark, no lights, narrow roads and a lunatic driver......
Sounds perfectly normal to me