Rave review, innovation @ the Rex

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2002, 02:42 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

quality night.
Me and the lads needed a heavy DnB session and Innovation didnt dissapoint in the least. I've always liked the Rex, so, on 12 hours notice, the boys agreed to meet up there.
I did the usual of arriving at the station 15 minutes early which gave me enough time to shoot over to the off licence and get the drinks in. There is only one thing you need to drink when raving, luckily they had some cold cans in the fridge and I left with 4 cans of Wife Beater (Stella )and 2 cans of Redbull.
On the way up to London I embarked on the Stella Express and was more than well on the way when I got to Waterloo. I also got something different from my usual Pro-Plus sessions and had a couple of "Pep" Caffiene tablets. They worked better than Proplus and I was jabbering away to my mates when we met up, on a nice caffiene and Wife Beater buzz.
As we arrived at Stratford station we saw a sign saying "Warning muggers are operation on the path to the right of the station, please use the pathway through the Bus station" Nice We avoided getting attacked, but were "asked" a couple of times on the way to the venue.
In the queue I did a couple more peps as I have had the blister packet taken off me at Bagleys in the past and I didnt want a repeat performance. However, I got to the search and was given a firm but fair pat down for weapons and they let me in without searching me wallet or me phone.
as soon as I got in I noticed a skinny bloke in a red top who looked familiar, Micky Finn was standing in the entrance so I took the opportunity to shake his hand and say how much I enjoy his events.
Spent most of the time in Room two which was the Hardcore/Old skool room. Jimmy J and Vinyltrixta smashed it with plenty of quality breakbeat hardcore which went down well with the happy crowd down there. Ratpack came up with the usual set that they do, but the crowd seemed to enjoy it. as Room 2 is underground they could have it as loud as they liked, which was pretty damn loud! the room had the feel of an illegal party from back in the day, with very little lighting production but a massive sound system to make up for it. By the time we were in there it was fairly packed so I had a bit of a brock and was soon well into it. I ventured into the main room a couple of times but I wansnt really interested till Nicky Blackmarket came on. The best part of that being that MC Skibbadee was there and depite looking totally wasted managed to work his usual magic of not appearing to breath inward for about 15 minutes at a time. Right at the end the Bouncers gave up and let eveyone onto the main stage to dance away the last half hour or so. Nice happy crowd too, lack of a gayradge room meant that I didnt see any attitude apart from a fight that kicked off outside the venue afterward.
Saw a few of my mates in there and one of my mates who couldnt make it benefitted from a phone call at 3am to hear some of Mampi Swift's set. He's a MC Shabba fan y'see
Good night, and no harsh caffiene comedown either, nice and gentle Not to mention about 1/2 a stone lighter than yesterday
astraboy.
Thanks to - the illegal minicab who took us back to Waterloo in time for the 7-30 to my home station.
No thanks to - whoever thought of painting the floors and walls of the Rex in Water Soluable paint. Which ran when 3000 sweaty ravers trampled all over it. It was like a bloody skating rink.
Old 27 January 2002, 03:51 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Sounds like you had a good one matey

No mention of the hernia so I guess you're ok?

I really should get myself to a good club one day

Bob
Old 27 January 2002, 03:55 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I've decided to go like its not there and only bother about it when it hurts, which it didnt last night
I aint complaining either way
astraboy.
Old 27 January 2002, 03:59 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

yeah, give raving a try mate, I cant go for a month without attending at least one. just make sure you dont go to some sh1tty garage night which is only full of aggro crack heads
astraboy.
Old 28 January 2002, 10:42 AM
SCOTTSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi,
I was going to go to that event but trouble with the girlfriend well now ex stoped me from going!!

I like raving too, dont hear to much old skool, drum and bass etc coming from scoobys.

only problem is i dont no many people who go anymore all my lot like garage clubs and bagleys. i prefer One Nation and Helter Skelter and united dance on which im going friday!

Andy c (the man)!

scoobyscott
Old 28 January 2002, 11:53 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Sounds like a good nite. Eaaaaasssssyy Mickey Finn
Old 28 January 2002, 12:19 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Scoobyscott. Going to United dance? Geezer, I'll see you there. I'll be wearing urban cammo combat trousers and a dayglo with ASTRABOY written on the back If you cant find me, look in the hardcore room.
astraboy.
P.S. tell your mates that garage is for the weak!
Old 28 January 2002, 01:01 PM
SCOTTSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Alright mate, yeah ill look out for you, carnt miss you really.
so you into the hardcore too? 99% of scooby owners dont listen to rave music, i thought i was the only one.

Yeah im sick of going to garage clubs, I used to go raves every weekend but now its got small and everyone listens to garage, im just sick of it now! i need to meet some ravers again. got to big up the dj brisk and sy, also the andy c and micky finn.

do you go to many raves?

scoobyscott

Old 28 January 2002, 03:38 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

my record was attending a rave every week for about 6 weeks non stop. I cant go to as many as I used to, but as soon as I'm well again I will be well up for going to as many as possible.
astraboy.
BTW if you're into hardc0re, try www.ush.net go to the message board.
Old 28 January 2002, 03:47 PM
SCOTTSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

sorry im not on this planet today had a **** weekend what is BTW?

ill have a look on the message board mate.

Old 28 January 2002, 04:02 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

BTW = By The Way
Dont worry mate you'll find some ravers on ush.net. And then some
astraboy.
Old 28 January 2002, 04:14 PM
SCOTTSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

cheers mate ill go in and have a look now. i love my hardcore. at the raves now do they still play older hardcore like 96 97 stuff or all uptodate, coz i like tunes like surrender and toytown etc..

Old 28 January 2002, 07:59 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

you dont really know what to expect mate. I remember a couple of UD's ago, Dougal played a 96-97 set. all the cheese classics like toytown, Hardcore Fever, rushing on pink champagne, were rinsed out and I was rushing like a barsteward! If you like your 100% edam then Dj Vibes is a good bet, but the modern stuff is just as good. bah, I suppose you just have to turn up and get what you're given. Its usually worth it.
astraboy.