Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Airbag sensor data convicts dangerous driver!

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2008, 10:24 PM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag sensor data convicts dangerous driver!

'Black box' recorder convicts 'rich-list' driver - Telegraph

"The son of one of Britain's richest couples, who left a baby paralysed after a head-in collision, has become the first person in Britain to be convicted of a motoring offence on the strength of his car's "black box" recorder.

Technical information stored in the device fitted in the Range Rover Sport's air bag was downloaded and used to prosecute Antonio Boparan Singh.

The recorder, similar to an aeroplane's black box flight recorder, continuously records the car's performance on a 10 second loop and is predominently used by engineers to diagnose problems.

In the event of a crash, it freezes and stores the information at the point of impact, giving the car's speed, engine speed, the angle of the brake and accelerator pedals and what gear the car was in."

Not heard of this info being stored before.

Anyone know if this applies to all airbag sensors?

And is it only stored if the bag goes off?

Aside from this I also think his parents should have been convicted - they let him out in their high performance car with only 6 months driving experience. Crazy.
Old 03 April 2008, 10:28 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Dunno, i don't think its something that manufacturers will shout about. People generally don't like being monitored, but modern cars can store a lot of info.
Old 03 April 2008, 10:36 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Good, bloke takes out a family doing 70mph in a 30, screws the girl for the rest of her life.

The fact he only faces up to two years is the saddest thing about the whole case, he'll be out in 1/2 that at best.
Old 03 April 2008, 10:52 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The cvunt has maimed someones baby and basically got away with it????

I've heard of the airbag blackbox before. Guess its the only way to be sure it went off for the right reasons.
Old 03 April 2008, 11:28 PM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Yes, I was surprised he might only get 2 years.
I spose I shouldn't be given how lily-livered the judiciary are with all the government guidelines on sentencing, but when the maximum sentence for causing death by dangerous driving is now 14 years, you'd have thought 7 years might be about right - out in 3 or so if he keeps his nose clean.

I know the young bloke wouldn't have intended harm, but his stupid actions produced the consequences and his parents are as much to blame by letting him use their high performance car.
Old 04 April 2008, 12:55 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Unless the technology has changed radically, then its a no for the Airbag modules, I say modules, there are prolly about 6 individual ones on your average car, and a master ECU, the slave modules relay to the main unit the status of the module constantly, its when a module reports a "flag" (for want of a better description) that the main ecu triggers.

It has (or used to have) a basic map which is applied according to the info recieved. Ie it wont deploy side airbags, in the event of a full frontal, or the passenger bag, if the seat is unnocupied etc. (this is by no means a difinitive list)

certainly on interrogation of the ecu, it would tell the basics, ie deployment, and within reason what critera had triggered the event, but thats about it.

what i suspect is that he had one of those loop recorders fitted, given to young drivers to reduce there ins premiums, looks like this one nailed him

Mart
Old 04 April 2008, 07:21 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Heard of this before so inclined to believe its true, but not for all manufacturers.
Old 04 April 2008, 12:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Boparan, 21, only had his license for six months when he drove his mother's powerful four-litre Range Rover Sport at 70mph on a 30mph road, smashing head-on into another car while overtaking. "

Says it all really, young, rich, agressive, talentless in a car thats too powerful, there should be laws about what you can drive within certain time frames of your test.

I see it round here, loads of Range Rovers being driven badly.
Old 04 April 2008, 12:37 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Own a Range Rover, become a cu.nt.

It should be their slogan.