Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Parking with rented flat

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2008, 08:31 AM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking with rented flat

I'm renting a brand new flat for six months while I look for a new house. One of the reasons for taking this flat was because it came with a secure underground parking space.

As soon as I had signed the tenancy the agent then decided to let me know that the fob for the car park would follow later. Two months and several phone calls later and I'm still no further forward. Only response from landlord is he's chasing the builders/property management company on a weekly basis.

I understand it MAY be out of his hands but nevertheless he has advertised and rented out a property with a facility that is not available.

There is parking available, but it is a public car park used by everyone taking a walk along the sea front! My car has already picked up a number of new dents and scratches.

What action would you take?
Old 02 April 2008, 08:45 AM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

No mention of it on contract which seems totally generic.

Good idea, I'll try and get in touch with the management company.

Landlord is the manager and owner of the estate agency.

There IS often a car in my allocated space. I'm wondering if he is letting a friend use it and feeding me BS about the lack of fobs.
Old 02 April 2008, 09:18 AM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AlexJReid

There IS often a car in my allocated space. I'm wondering if he is letting a friend use it and feeding me BS about the lack of fobs.
Sounds like someone else is renting the secure space and that you're also paying for it too.
Old 02 April 2008, 09:25 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

It would be interesting to put a cone in the space with 'reserved for Flat X' on it and see what happens.

I also think that the space has been rented twice.

Steve
Old 02 April 2008, 09:34 AM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

It's a definite possibility.

I know I'm not the only one without access to the car park due to the number of my neighbours who also park outside, or have to park on the road

Unless the same landlord has rented their spaces out as well.....
Old 02 April 2008, 09:49 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Don't pay the rent until he gives you access to the parking space.

That will get him listening
Old 02 April 2008, 09:50 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

It's a definite possibility.

I know I'm not the only one without access to the car park due to the number of my neighbours who also park outside, or have to park on the road

Unless the same landlord has rented their spaces out as well.....
Car parking spaces in Apartment blocks are always reason for distress. I live in an Apartment Block where the parking spaces numbers are wrong. ie. they had a number 13 apartment/parking space. Until they realised that it might be hard to sell a number 13, so deleted the Apartment number buy not the parking space number, so, if you live in number 16, you are supposed to park in parking bay number 15

Not really a problem if you think about it. Just park in the bay number that relates to your apartment, yes? no When I moved in, within 10 minutes there was a knock at my front door. Great I thought, a neighbor has come to say hello. WRONG. I was informed that although my Apartment is No 16, I do not under any circumstances park in number 16 parking bay. That is his bay, he has a legal right to it, and would seek legal advise if I did

Wouldn't care, but the guy doesn't even own a car.
Old 02 April 2008, 10:05 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

How about you approach this at a different angle?

Find out the make and model of the door opening system, then contact the manufacturer and ask how you get a new key for it. They will probably ask for a signed letter confirming that you are allowed to have one (might help if you are management ) or alternativly you may need a code off of a neighbours key. Then Voila you will have a working key, its probably going to cost you but it will be worth it

P.S.
I have done the above for a range of security keys without a problem, just talk like you know what you are doing and send something in on headed paper!
Old 02 April 2008, 11:05 AM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
Don't pay the rent until he gives you access to the parking space.
Yeah, what a good idea. Why didn't I think of that?

The space numberings are completely all over the shop. I think they gave the nicer spaces to the £300K flats and not my shoe box!
The spaces are also tiny, mine happens to be right next a concrete pillar.

That said - I've paid for the space so I want to use it !
Old 02 April 2008, 11:30 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Yeah, what a good idea. Why didn't I think of that?

The space numberings are completely all over the shop. I think they gave the nicer spaces to the £300K flats and not my shoe box!
The spaces are also tiny, mine happens to be right next a concrete pillar.

That said - I've paid for the space so I want to use it !
Well, if you are bored one day go and make a car out of cardboard boxes and put it in the space ...

Steve
Old 02 April 2008, 12:14 PM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

Probably be more dent resistant than the Scoob.
Old 02 April 2008, 12:40 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

As said just borrow a fob from a neighbour who does have one, get it duplicated at a security shop and park in your allocated space. If somebody starts shouting that they have paid for that space, you'll know it's been rented twice.
Old 02 April 2008, 01:03 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Why do you need to get a fob? If the space is used every day then stick a note on the car using it requesting that they do not use your space. Give a contact number so you can discuss it with the driver.

Or borrow a fob from a neighbour so you can park your car there. Shouldn't be too difficult if you know a neighbour, and don't need the fob to get out of the carpark.

Or invite a neighbour to use your space for a while.
Old 02 April 2008, 01:23 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

ohhh you got a batcave one then?

is it down whitleybay like you said on TTS (its sticky btw)
Old 02 April 2008, 01:26 PM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

yeah... still trying to get access to the bat cave!
don't think i'm going to stay there too long, they aren't that well built. lovely view of the sea though.
Old 02 April 2008, 01:40 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Car parking spaces in Apartment blocks are always reason for distress. I live in an Apartment Block where the parking spaces numbers are wrong. ie. they had a number 13 apartment/parking space. Until they realised that it might be hard to sell a number 13, so deleted the Apartment number buy not the parking space number, so, if you live in number 16, you are supposed to park in parking bay number 15

Not really a problem if you think about it. Just park in the bay number that relates to your apartment, yes? no When I moved in, within 10 minutes there was a knock at my front door. Great I thought, a neighbor has come to say hello. WRONG. I was informed that although my Apartment is No 16, I do not under any circumstances park in number 16 parking bay. That is his bay, he has a legal right to it, and would seek legal advise if I did

Wouldn't care, but the guy doesn't even own a car.
i had the same, except ours are not numbered, just allocated in the deeds

i made a point of picking a place to live that had allocated parking, and mentioned it a few times to the estate agents, they told me it was probably the one next to my bedroom window (result)

after they checked with the landlord it was indeed the one mentioned previous, only the people upstairs with 2 cars had decided to claim it, as nobody was using it for a months

plenty of agro happened afterwards, i paid for this space, it was fooken mine, anyway, i thought all was well when they mooved, but the landlord then gave the flat to his daughter, and it all started again, they are allowed to use my space, as somebody else was using theres

why they were not numbered i dont know, any special event on regarding the river tyne (big ships ark royal etc etc) and people flock to the banks, blocking up the roads and taking parking spaces all over the place

i had to que to get out my parking space once with people "turning around" in the carpark!!!

i want a batcave underground one
Old 02 April 2008, 01:41 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

yeah... still trying to get access to the bat cave!
don't think i'm going to stay there too long, they aren't that well built. lovely view of the sea though.
new ones never are, mines the same down the royal quays, they are all made of cardboard and plastercine
Old 02 April 2008, 01:52 PM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ghetto Dude3
new ones never are, mines the same down the royal quays, they are all made of cardboard and plastercine
yep... with lights that are wired up wrong, tv sockets that don't work, shaver sockets with transformers that hum loudly, windows that don't keep the wind and noise from the nearby club out.

think you'd be disappointed with how fookin tight the spaces actually are in the batcave. especially if your space is next to someone with a 730i as mine is.

all in all not one of my better choices! mad to think they're on the market starting at £200K+ which is still a fair bit by north east standards.
Old 02 April 2008, 02:00 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

i know, i`m lucky in that my space is right next to a wall, so i can get the scoob reversed in right up alongside it and leave loads of room, bloke next to me has a nice shiney mini cooper so tends to leave a decent amount of room as well as hes the "car type"