Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

drivethedeal.com

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2008, 10:00 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drivethedeal.com

Been looking at changing the wife's car for a little while and the prices on here are fantastic. Last time I took the dtd price to the dealer and they matched it but that was on a Golf and even the dtd discount wasn't that great.

This time the discount offered was over 3k!! So armed with the info we trawled round a couple of local dealers and I also compared with other brokers.

The first broker buycars4less offered the car at a cheaper price and was willing to take part ex. Unfortunately that was last thursday and i'm still waiting a price. That coupled with the fact that payment was prior to delivery and would be pre registered i decided to move on.

After speaking to a dealer friend of someone on here who couldn't get near the price i headed into town. Popped into local dealer, discussed price but the guy wasn't prepared to say yes or no, just wanted to sit down and go through the figures, I moved on.

At the weekend popped out to see dealer in next town. Turned up and was greeted by friendly sales guy, offered to show us car in question and moved on to the sale. I replied that I had a price and was happy to show him he wanted to get near it. So we sat down to talk figures and I showed him the price I had from dtd. He then explained that dtd posted the price up to get interest and then if someone ordered, they would trawl a list of dealers to see whether anyone would match the price. if no one would they would not fulfill the order. I didn't bite, so before heading off to the sales managers office he checked the dtd price himself.

After an age he came back with a discounted price, knocking 1400 off the price. I told him he was miles away and he disappeared again for an age before returning with his sales manager. the sales guy tells me that dtd wait for up to 20 orders before placing my order so potentially I'd have to wait 6 months. He said the car was factory order only and could be even longer than that. With that I left.

So....yesterday after having spoken with another dealer giving me the same story i put the order in. I put my order in, received an email promising a call within 3 hours and waited.

An hour later dtd called to confirm colour, trim, options, name on V5, dob (new requirement from dvla) and price. The guy thanked me for my business and said the supplying dealer would be in contact within 3 days.

This morning I had a call from a dealer located in the midlands, who introduced themselves, provided me with a contact name and telephone number, an estimated delivery date and confirmed the order details. They also confirmed my deposit, £500 and provided some info around delivery etc.

So far so good, it'll be a long 10 weeks for the wife, and obviously her Golf will need to go on autotrader a couple of weeks before, but over 3k in saving, and hopefully a better price privately for hers than potentially trading in will be a result.

Anyone else used them?
Old 05 March 2008, 12:38 AM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

They are always recommended by the columnist Honest John in the Daily Telegraph on Saturdays and on his own website and have been for quite a while.

It really annoys me these salesmen who talk utter bolloxxx even when they know you just don't believe them. Sadly, enough muppets do, which is why they manage to stay in business.

Give us an update on progress/delivery/quality of handover/etc..
Old 05 March 2008, 01:16 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Best you pop in to the local dealer and pick up some touch up paint. Oh and while your there you can tell the sales monkey, and his muppet of a manager and any other customer you can find on the forecourt at the time
Old 05 March 2008, 06:27 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I'll update this thread. That's exactly what pees me off wish, someone treating me like a mug. Edited to say, an honest "I can't get anywhere near that" rather than all th BS would get more respect.

I was surprised that everyone I spoke to had never heard of dtd, i had of course, but this is my first use experience. The point of this thread is to let people know what the actual experience is.

I should point out that list is £15600 roughly and I'm paying £12490. Of course a 3k saving on a 50k motor wouldn't be so impressive

Last edited by MattW; 05 March 2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05 March 2008, 07:16 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

When I bought my 335d I gave my dealer the dtd price, and they matched it no problem (approx 12% off list). Very useful site.

Gary.
Old 05 March 2008, 09:39 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

I used DtD for a Pug 307 in 2202 and it was perfect - the dealer (about 180 miles away) delivered the car on a low loader for free to our house, the car was exactly as ordered, there was no requirement to pay the broker, and I just dealt with the dealer, and it was atop notch deal. I'd have no hesitation in recommending them and have since bought new cars via other brokers who have also been great...

Andy
Old 05 March 2008, 11:16 AM
ChrisGrant
Scooby Regular

Er Who are DTD? got a web link? google comes up blank!
Old 05 March 2008, 11:17 AM
ChrisGrant
Scooby Regular

DOH!
Old 05 March 2008, 11:24 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I think the words " the clue is in the title" are apt..
Old 05 March 2008, 02:44 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Yep I've used them - UK cars from UK dealers. Absolutely no complaints.
Old 05 March 2008, 02:51 PM
jcullen
Scooby Regular

I've used them a couple of times, excellent service all round
Old 05 March 2008, 08:34 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Do they take PX?

Steve
Old 05 March 2008, 09:14 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

No Steve.
Old 06 March 2008, 12:00 AM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Buy a Car, Deals on New Cars, drivethedeal.com, New Car Discount, Car Deal Online
Old 07 March 2008, 08:19 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received a letter from dtd introducing the dealer formally, along with some details about GAP insurance which is reasonably priced. £195 for 10k worth of cover.

Order form arrived from the dealer for signature, but the wife changed her mind on the colour, going for black and not white which added metallic to the cost. New order form being sent out to reflect the small increase, should be here today.
Old 09 March 2008, 01:43 AM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

DON'T BUY GAP INSURANCE FROM DEALERS!!!!

Go on-line.

Up to £25,000 cover for under £100.
Old 09 March 2008, 10:20 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Not required, insurance company will replace car new for old during 1st year, and thereafter the price paid isn't worth it IMO.

Anyhow back on topic, new order form arrived friday, with extra for metallic paint (discounted from 350 to 320) duly signed and returned. ten weeks to go
Old 22 March 2008, 12:29 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Had a call Thursday to say the build week is 18, sometime near the end of April, should be with us 3 weeks later.
Old 22 March 2008, 12:45 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Not required, insurance company will replace car new for old during 1st year, and thereafter the price paid isn't worth it IMO.

Anyhow back on topic, new order form arrived friday, with extra for metallic paint (discounted from 350 to 320) duly signed and returned. ten weeks to go
Not always - Insurance didn't pay full value on my mate's 6 month old motor when it was written off, despite extensive argument. Agree it can be a waste but sure someone on here did well out of it once!

5t.
Old 22 March 2008, 05:01 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

MY sister tried to buy a pug 207 off drive the deal and in the end after loads of pissing around and them bouncing all of her e-mails back they could not actually offer anything like the price on the website. SHe ended up getting a better deal from a dealer.
Old 22 March 2008, 09:38 PM
Smiler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Not always - Insurance didn't pay full value on my mate's 6 month old motor when it was written off, despite extensive argument.
Was your mate the first registered owner? Insurance Cos will replace with a brand new car in the first year, but only if you bought it new
Old 22 March 2008, 11:48 PM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW

Insure with the NFU and they replace the car with new if written off for up to 2 years.
Old 23 March 2008, 02:10 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Some insureres will replace within the year some don't best check policy details.

Glad to see DTD have sorted you out.
Old 11 April 2008, 02:01 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Dealer called earlier this week to say build date is set as 16th April.

Private plate retained off wife's car ready for autotrader.