ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   drivethedeal.com (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/672189-drivethedeal-com.html)

MattW 04 March 2008 10:00 PM

drivethedeal.com

Been looking at changing the wife's car for a little while and the prices on here are fantastic. Last time I took the dtd price to the dealer and they matched it but that was on a Golf and even the dtd discount wasn't that great.

This time the discount offered was over 3k!! So armed with the info we trawled round a couple of local dealers and I also compared with other brokers.

The first broker buycars4less offered the car at a cheaper price and was willing to take part ex. Unfortunately that was last thursday and i'm still waiting a price. That coupled with the fact that payment was prior to delivery and would be pre registered i decided to move on.

After speaking to a dealer friend of someone on here who couldn't get near the price i headed into town. Popped into local dealer, discussed price but the guy wasn't prepared to say yes or no, just wanted to sit down and go through the figures, I moved on.

At the weekend popped out to see dealer in next town. Turned up and was greeted by friendly sales guy, offered to show us car in question and moved on to the sale. I replied that I had a price and was happy to show him he wanted to get near it. So we sat down to talk figures and I showed him the price I had from dtd. He then explained that dtd posted the price up to get interest and then if someone ordered, they would trawl a list of dealers to see whether anyone would match the price. if no one would they would not fulfill the order. I didn't bite, so before heading off to the sales managers office he checked the dtd price himself.

After an age he came back with a discounted price, knocking 1400 off the price. I told him he was miles away and he disappeared again for an age before returning with his sales manager. the sales guy tells me that dtd wait for up to 20 orders before placing my order so potentially I'd have to wait 6 months. He said the car was factory order only and could be even longer than that. With that I left.

So....yesterday after having spoken with another dealer giving me the same story i put the order in. I put my order in, received an email promising a call within 3 hours and waited.

An hour later dtd called to confirm colour, trim, options, name on V5, dob (new requirement from dvla) and price. The guy thanked me for my business and said the supplying dealer would be in contact within 3 days.

This morning I had a call from a dealer located in the midlands, who introduced themselves, provided me with a contact name and telephone number, an estimated delivery date and confirmed the order details. They also confirmed my deposit, £500 and provided some info around delivery etc.

So far so good, it'll be a long 10 weeks for the wife, and obviously her Golf will need to go on autotrader a couple of weeks before, but over 3k in saving, and hopefully a better price privately for hers than potentially trading in will be a result.

Anyone else used them?

nooobyscoooby 05 March 2008 12:38 AM

They are always recommended by the columnist Honest John in the Daily Telegraph on Saturdays and on his own website and have been for quite a while.

It really annoys me these salesmen who talk utter bolloxxx even when they know you just don't believe them. Sadly, enough muppets do, which is why they manage to stay in business.

Give us an update on progress/delivery/quality of handover/etc..

Wish 05 March 2008 01:16 AM

Best you pop in to the local dealer and pick up some touch up paint. Oh and while your there you can tell the sales monkey, and his muppet of a manager :lol: and any other customer you can find on the forecourt at the time :lol:

MattW 05 March 2008 06:27 AM

I'll update this thread. That's exactly what pees me off wish, someone treating me like a mug. Edited to say, an honest "I can't get anywhere near that" rather than all th BS would get more respect.

I was surprised that everyone I spoke to had never heard of dtd, i had of course, but this is my first use experience. The point of this thread is to let people know what the actual experience is. :thumb:

I should point out that list is £15600 roughly and I'm paying £12490. Of course a 3k saving on a 50k motor wouldn't be so impressive ;)

GCollier 05 March 2008 07:16 AM

When I bought my 335d I gave my dealer the dtd price, and they matched it no problem (approx 12% off list). Very useful site.

Gary.

mightyyid 05 March 2008 09:39 AM

I used DtD for a Pug 307 in 2202 and it was perfect - the dealer (about 180 miles away) delivered the car on a low loader for free to our house, the car was exactly as ordered, there was no requirement to pay the broker, and I just dealt with the dealer, and it was atop notch deal. I'd have no hesitation in recommending them and have since bought new cars via other brokers who have also been great...

Andy

ChrisGrant 05 March 2008 11:16 AM

Er Who are DTD? got a web link? google comes up blank!

ChrisGrant 05 March 2008 11:17 AM

DOH!

Nimbus 05 March 2008 11:24 AM

I think the words " the clue is in the title" are apt.. ;)

MooseRacer 05 March 2008 02:44 PM

Yep I've used them - UK cars from UK dealers. Absolutely no complaints.

jcullen 05 March 2008 02:51 PM

I've used them a couple of times, excellent service all round

Steve vRS 05 March 2008 08:34 PM

Do they take PX?

Steve

MattW 05 March 2008 09:14 PM

No Steve.

nooobyscoooby 06 March 2008 12:00 AM

Buy a Car, Deals on New Cars, drivethedeal.com, New Car Discount, Car Deal Online

MattW 07 March 2008 08:19 AM

Received a letter from dtd introducing the dealer formally, along with some details about GAP insurance which is reasonably priced. £195 for 10k worth of cover.

Order form arrived from the dealer for signature, but the wife changed her mind on the colour, going for black and not white which added metallic to the cost. New order form being sent out to reflect the small increase, should be here today.

nooobyscoooby 09 March 2008 01:43 AM

DON'T BUY GAP INSURANCE FROM DEALERS!!!!

Go on-line.

Up to £25,000 cover for under £100.

MattW 09 March 2008 10:20 AM

Not required, insurance company will replace car new for old during 1st year, and thereafter the price paid isn't worth it IMO.

Anyhow back on topic, new order form arrived friday, with extra for metallic paint (discounted from 350 to 320) duly signed and returned. ten weeks to go :)

MattW 22 March 2008 12:29 PM

Had a call Thursday to say the build week is 18, sometime near the end of April, should be with us 3 weeks later.

fivetide 22 March 2008 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by MattW (Post 7717452)
Not required, insurance company will replace car new for old during 1st year, and thereafter the price paid isn't worth it IMO.

Anyhow back on topic, new order form arrived friday, with extra for metallic paint (discounted from 350 to 320) duly signed and returned. ten weeks to go :)

Not always - Insurance didn't pay full value on my mate's 6 month old motor when it was written off, despite extensive argument. Agree it can be a waste but sure someone on here did well out of it once!

5t.

Luan Pra bang 22 March 2008 05:01 PM

MY sister tried to buy a pug 207 off drive the deal and in the end after loads of pissing around and them bouncing all of her e-mails back they could not actually offer anything like the price on the website. SHe ended up getting a better deal from a dealer.

Smiler 22 March 2008 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by fivetide (Post 7751291)
Not always - Insurance didn't pay full value on my mate's 6 month old motor when it was written off, despite extensive argument.

Was your mate the first registered owner? Insurance Cos will replace with a brand new car in the first year, but only if you bought it new

nooobyscoooby 22 March 2008 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by MattW (Post 7717452)

Insure with the NFU and they replace the car with new if written off for up to 2 years.

PaulC72 23 March 2008 02:10 PM

Some insureres will replace within the year some don't best check policy details.

Glad to see DTD have sorted you out.

MattW 11 April 2008 02:01 PM

Dealer called earlier this week to say build date is set as 16th April.

Private plate retained off wife's car ready for autotrader.