Foreign Languages in Primary Schools

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2008, 06:48 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreign Languages in Primary Schools

Who decides what language gets taught in the schools these days

When I went to school you started learning French in 1st Year of Secondary school, and then in Year 2 & 3 you could do German as well (if you were put forward by the French Teacher, and wanted to do German)

Now the eldest's school teach German in Primary School (she has just turned 8)

Some of the Primary Schools I work in Teach French or Spanish instead

I guess it isnt National Curriculum then, and purely down to the Headteachers at the respective schools
Old 03 March 2008, 07:54 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Dont get me wrong, I actually think it is a good idea, but there doesnt seem to be any consistency on the languages available

Someone, somewhere must decide what will be best for the kids to learn, just obvioulsy differs from school to school, also the level seems to as well

One school has spanish written everywhere, to really get the kids used to the words, its on windows, doors in the corridors etc
Old 03 March 2008, 08:35 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Kids over here learn English at primary school. I think it's a great idea....young minds are like sponges so the earlier they can pick up a second language, the better. My son is doing Spanish as a third language and he's 14. More power to 'em I say.
Old 03 March 2008, 09:26 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My niece is 5 and is learning Spanish. If the GW freaks are right she can run around Ealing shouting 'scorchio' all day without fear of contradiction!
Old 03 March 2008, 11:06 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Great news! Piece of cake languages - gets progressively harder once you are over 10 years old mind. Mine speak 3 languages but cant even read yet as they are so young Feed 'em up while they are nippers

D
Old 03 March 2008, 11:58 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I think we should start learning Polish tbh, lets be honest, its probably going to come in more use than Spanish for once a week once a year
Old 04 March 2008, 12:24 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Might as well learn Chinese as they'll be in charge when the kids grow up.

Only half joking btw. dl (sorry dr)
Old 04 March 2008, 07:08 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Some schools have 30 plus languages.
Old 04 March 2008, 08:39 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

In some cases it will depend on what languages the teachers teaching can speak - if the school has German and Spanish teachers, but no French ones, then the kids will get taught German and Spanish.
Old 04 March 2008, 11:25 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

French, German, and Latin are good languages to do since you get a good basis for learning other languages in the future.

Les
Old 04 March 2008, 11:59 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

English is the international language. It gives us a huge commercial advantage. What is the point of learning French, German, Spanish or any other European language? When are they going to use it?

Learning a language to a high standard is extremely hard. Time that could be better spent. If you really want your kids to get a head start in life, get them to learn Mandarin.

Richard.
Old 04 March 2008, 12:01 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

It depends on whether the school is state, PFI, public or privately run. If it's state then the National Curriculum dictates, the others can pretty much do as they please, but tend to offer the NC with additional subjects available as choices.
Old 04 March 2008, 04:21 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoppy
English is the international language. It gives us a huge commercial advantage. What is the point of learning French, German, Spanish or any other European language?

Right up to the point where you try to deal with a French, German or Spanish company, and the salesperson who actually speaks the local language has a massive advantage. If they're selling to you, then they need to learn your language, but if you are selling, you will find it a real help to speak theirs.

M
Old 04 March 2008, 04:36 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

English is the international language. It gives us a huge commercial advantage. What is the point of learning French, German, Spanish or any other European language? When are they going to use it?

Learning a language to a high standard is extremely hard. Time that could be better spent. If you really want your kids to get a head start in life, get them to learn Mandarin.

Richard.

I agree that Mandarin or Japanese , or indeed Urdu or Hindi would be far more relevant than French or Spanish in business terms - But its not all abotu that is it - Being able to speak Fluent spanish (which then make learning the other mediterrain languages a doddle) can only be an advantage.
Old 04 March 2008, 07:06 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Richard.
Mandarin true, but Spanish is the next most spoken behind English, and should be taught as a priority over French or German IMO.

Thus, if you add the secondary speaker populations to the primary speaker populations, you get the following (and I believe more accurate) list:
(number of speakers in parentheses)

Mandarin Chinese (1.12 billion)
English (480 million)
Spanish (320 million)
Russian (285 million)
French (265 million)
Hindi/Urdu (250 million)
Arabic (221 million)
Portuguese (188 million)
Bengali (185 million)
Japanese (133 million)
German (109 million)
Old 04 March 2008, 08:36 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Richard.
It is NOT hard if you start very young mate. And do remember it's much easier to buy in English than sell in it when abroad....

D
Old 04 March 2008, 08:38 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nido
Mandarin true, but Spanish is the next most spoken behind English, and should be taught as a priority over French or German IMO.

Agreed!
Old 04 March 2008, 08:43 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

What is the purpose of education? Why do our children go through years of school and then endless exams? To prove who's best, to single out the most capable, to give them the best start in life. Well, that's the theory as I understand it.

I have spent years in international business, all of it always conducted in English (telephone, email, face to face, contracts, the lot). Or should I learn to be fluent in French, German, Spanish, Polish, Turkish, Arabic, Italian, Russian, Hindi, Mandarin etc etc, plus 101 other languages and dialects? It's a futile waste of time and makes no sense when all my business partners speak English to a far higher standard than I could ever hope to achieve in theirs.

I am all for gaining an appreciation of other cultures but, I say again, learning to be fluent in another language takes a massive amount of effort. It is a huge commercial advantage we already posses and we should use that invaluable education time to enhance our children's prospects for the future.

In terms of learning as foreign language, that's Mandarin (not Hindi, as most Indians speak better English than many on SN already).

Richard.
Old 04 March 2008, 08:51 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

What is the purpose of education? Why do our children go through years of school and then endless exams? To prove who's best, to single out the most capable, to give them the best start in life. Well, that's the theory as I understand it.

I have spent years in international business, all of it always conducted in English (telephone, email, face to face, contracts, the lot). Or should I learn to be fluent in French, German, Spanish, Polish, Turkish, Arabic, Italian, Russian, Hindi, Mandarin etc etc, plus 101 other languages and dialects? It's a futile waste of time and makes no sense when all my business partners speak English to a far higher standard than I could ever hope to achieve in theirs.

I am all for gaining an appreciation of other cultures but, I say again, learning to be fluent in another language takes a massive amount of effort. It is a huge commercial advantage we already posses and we should use that invaluable education time to enhance our children's prospects for the future.

In terms of learning as foreign language, that's Mandarin (not Hindi, as most Indians speak better English than many on SN already).

Richard.
Clearly you have an unique product mate

HONESTLY it is little effort as kids which is what this thread is about - my two prove it (and me to an extent . I learnt other languages with more conscious effort as an adult as you suggest - but enjoyed it and it was only same a few hours a week for a few years. Much better time than that spent watching Eastenders instead over those years D
Old 04 March 2008, 08:57 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
It is NOT hard if you start very young mate.
D, it is VERY hard. Reading a foreign menu is one thing, negotiating a business deal is quite another. Frankly, of the many international people whom I have dealt with professionally, all of them have spent years of graft learning English, and most studied as residents either here or in the US.

I am not talking about ordering an ice cream here, I am talking serious long-term business. Real world education.

Richard.
Old 04 March 2008, 09:38 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Apologies, I'm on a bit of a rant here But I speak from experience. My father was a languages professor and so is my brother (I'm the family black sheep ).

Buying or selling, it makes no difference - in either case you really need to know the language fluently to do serious business. English is the language of international business. End of story. What use is fluent German when talking to a Brazilian? If you really want to become fluent in European languages, learn Latin first. That would be poplular

Let's hear from a few people who actually work overseas with international companies, or those in the UK who do international business. What language do they use? I recently had a conference call with Russian and Italian clients (an unlikely union I know, but it happens). Which language do you think we spoke in? Who do you think had the upper hand when it came to final negotiations?

Now look ahead and see how the world economy is moving. Towards China perhaps? Education should be about best preparing our children for the future.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 04 March 2008, 10:08 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

D, it is VERY hard. Reading a foreign menu is one thing, negotiating a business deal is quite another. Frankly, of the many international people whom I have dealt with professionally, all of them have spent years of graft learning English, and most studied as residents either here or in the US.

I am not talking about ordering an ice cream here, I am talking serious long-term business. Real world education.

Richard.
Yes fair point for contracts etc, I'd be well out my depth. However when working with teams abroad (in my case) they dont all have to speak a foreign language to each other due to my presence (in some countries). That also gives me a social and information advantage when working on a helping them start a project.

Sounds like you may be higher up the food chain or in complex deals that lawyers handle for me (but rarely get signed in time!!!)

I learnt years ago that a little effort gets a MASSIVE return (and even learnt English too )

D
Old 04 March 2008, 10:34 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

D, I think we probably agree more than we disagree

When dealing with foreign clients it helps no end to be able to greet them in their native tongue, to understand simple stuff like menus, to engage in small talk, exchange comments with junior staff in their language (also try to pronouce their names correctly, with at least a hint of the right accent!). It just shows you've taken a little effort, and that can help oil the wheels no end. It shows respect, which counts for a lot. Very important, and not that hard.

But at the end of the day, it's the nitty-gritty that seals the deal. And that's in English. I just don't see the point of learning a Europen language to a superfical (and potentially patronising) level when the world is turning so fast towards Asia.

Richard.
Old 04 March 2008, 10:47 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Yeah - I think we agree. However there is no word in Chinese for 'contract'. You just have to swallow something foul and slimy to seal the deal

D