Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

NHS V's Private Health Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2008, 12:45 PM
scousefly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NHS V's Private Health Insurance

I injured myself in October last year(fell down stairs) so I toddle off to A+E and they say you have a bad sprain pack me off home stating RICE method. Im a keen footballer so know this off by heart but I also know my body and this aint a sprain.
I go back a week later its still very badly swollen agin they pack me off wont even entertain giving me an xray
So after 2.5 months I go the doctor (I have been seeing a football physio as well) cause the ankle swells when I walk I havent been able to run/play football/cycle and she sends me for an xray, guess what?
Its been fractured in 3 places

So I go back to same hospital after refferal I spend an hour waiting plus car park fee's I take half a night off work cause early appointment and the consultant hasnt even requested my xray or report he wont send me for a new one an wants to sent me for an MRI which could take 7 weeks to come through

So I try to go through private health insurance, they want the dotor to sign a form stating that my injury didnt occur before the cover started(It didnt) and I have to pay £15 they then say thats not good enough they want my medical records for the past 5 years

What is the point of paying out through the nose when all they do is try an wriggle outta the policy on some technicality they are trying to create?????
There all abunch of robbing cowboys
Old 11 February 2008, 12:47 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scousefly
There all abunch of robbing cowboys
Yup

Insurers & Agents

Parasitic ****s that will be first against the wall come the revolution.
Old 13 February 2008, 12:31 AM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Go to a different hospital A&E, tell them you've done something to ankle and been hobbling around but you think it may be fractured. Don't mention doctor or other hospital. All eing well you'll get an x-ray and then simply sue the first hospital.
Old 13 February 2008, 02:41 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

It's a great example of user pays. You pay taxes for "services" you don't qualify for (Too young, too old, too rich etc) or receive (Migrants). Then you have to "purchase services" which don't have to be delivered because of contractural agreements (Too young, too old, not in the "agreement" long enough, migrant etc etc).
Old 13 February 2008, 05:39 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

when I read this this morning the advert below is for Private Medical Insurance. I used to work in the business it is one of the biggest cons going IMO. Deferred dates .. deferred so far ahead that you cant afford not to be off work for any longer, and clauses to get out of claims.

Claire
Old 13 February 2008, 09:47 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you only get what you (or your employer) pay for.

I'm fortunate to have excellent private medical care via work with Bupa.

Never had a problem - go see the doc, tell him I'm covered, he does referral letter and Bupa pick up the tab.

Had intesive course of physio for misplaced vertibrae. Told doc I had pains in spine, tingling in fingers and Bupa cover. He does a letter, I phone up and get first appointment 2 days later.

Wife has abdominal and back pains, on and off. Does some research, looks like a gall stone. Her GP not sure (are thay all that useless?) but on being told she has cover does letter to consultant. 1 week later, ultrasound at Bupa hospital and chat with consultant confirms she has massive gall stone. Asks her when suits for the op and she's in and its out with an fortnight.

In our case, pmc rocks. Would never be without it.
Old 16 February 2008, 10:22 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

The problem with private policies is in the end of the day its an insurance policy.

Insurer's sole aim is to maximise income and minimise outgoing expenses.

The best way to argue with them is to get the treating doctor to sort them out - they'd rather you be in a private hospital than taking up another NHS bed, so usually will pressure the ins co to accept the claim.
Old 16 February 2008, 01:13 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

We have BCWA {or whatever it is} and so far no one I know {where I work} have had any problems getting treatment using them.
I have claimed once for my daughter to get checked out on something it cost me my excess of £75 for the year and thats that so for us it is worth having.
Old 16 February 2008, 01:57 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
I guess you only get what you (or your employer) pay for.

I'm fortunate to have excellent private medical care via work with Bupa.

Never had a problem - go see the doc, tell him I'm covered, he does referral letter and Bupa pick up the tab.

Had intesive course of physio for misplaced vertibrae. Told doc I had pains in spine, tingling in fingers and Bupa cover. He does a letter, I phone up and get first appointment 2 days later.

Wife has abdominal and back pains, on and off. Does some research, looks like a gall stone. Her GP not sure (are thay all that useless?) but on being told she has cover does letter to consultant. 1 week later, ultrasound at Bupa hospital and chat with consultant confirms she has massive gall stone. Asks her when suits for the op and she's in and its out with an fortnight.

In our case, pmc rocks. Would never be without it.
Agreed as had similar experiences.