Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Television (well sound actually) advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2008, 04:17 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Television (well sound actually) advice needed.

My rear projection TV just gave up the ghost (it was overdue for replacing anyway really).

I have no problem choosing a swanky new flat tele, I just need some advice re sound.

I know I can buy a 'home cinema' type system for when I'm playing DVD's.

However, the tv that just died on me had built in surround sound, so I could watch films on Sky etc and still get the full effect (if perhaps a psudo effect?) i.e. surround/psudo surround on all TV not just DVD's

Does a 'stand alone' system exist that will give me this or will it just be DVD's?

I will really miss the BIG sound if there isn't anything out there
Old 08 February 2008, 04:18 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

You need to buy a proper amplifier and speakers really to get the full effect from TV, Console and DVDs etc
Old 08 February 2008, 04:24 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Most current flat panel TV's will have analogue and/or digital audio outputs to send TV sound to an external amp/processor, so you can listen to your TV in surround. Some TV's may also feature pseudo-surround similar to your old set. A good set-up would be to have a TV, AV receiver (£200 or so gets a good one) and a combo DVD(R)/Freeview/HDD. All the necessary boxes ticked in 3 items. Add speakers (Richer Sounds ) and you'll have a good set-up.
Old 08 February 2008, 04:33 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up From Which...

Panasonic

Average score: 68.9% Best Buys: 11 out of 15
Brand reliability: AveragePanasonic0870 535 7357
Panasonic just keep getting better and better. We liked their 2006 range but this years additions have raised the bar yet again. They currently offer the best LCD and plasma TVs we have ever tested. Admittedly they tend to be pricier than some of the competition but it’s hard to fault most of the models we've tested. Their current Best Buy hit rate is phenomenal.
They are easier to use and more energy efficient than most other brands and offer a good level of functionality (including memory card slots on top end ranges). However, it's picture quality that usually stands Panasonic out from the crowd – be it standard or high definition.
The Panasonic LCD range seem to have the picture quality edge on the plasma TVs at the moment. Interestingly we've found high standards across their entire LCD range - with the entry level sets scoring just as highly as the top of the range models. For the sake of a few extra sockets and fancy features you could save yourself hundreds of pounds without skimping on picture or sound quality.

Samsung

Average score: 48.8% Best Buys: zero from 15
Brand reliability: Good
Samsung 0870 242 0303

Samsung make both LCD and plasma sets but we've been disappointed with their efforts over the past couple of years. Picture quality has improved of late but can often still teeter on the wrong side of mediocre.
But it is sound quality we're usually most disappointed with and Samsung TVs have struggled to soothe the ears of our exacting listening panel.
On the plus side their sets are normally cheaper than the average Sony or Panasonic, do tend to have lots of nice features (USB sockets, media card slots) and with a chic shiny black finish they're usually some of the best looking.
We normally find them fairly intuitive to use but our ergonomics team usually have a good moan about the cluttered over-sized remote controls. However, if you're looking for a TV to principally use as a PC monitor a Samsung are one of the best and perform consistently well in our PC tests.
Old 08 February 2008, 05:09 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I plug the Sky box in to my amp and have the sound off on the TV. DVD and Wii are on other inputs to the amp. Logitech Harmony remote to switch all the right bits on to the right settings.
Old 08 February 2008, 05:16 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

That's the problem with flat panels: all have rubbish sound and the only alternative is a sepeate amp/decoder - these can play on any source TV, DVD, Sky, whatever.

(well, actually that a bit about rubbish speaker is a lie...the Old Hitachi CL series had decent SRS processing and fairly good in-built speakers, but needed an external subwoofer to compensate for the severe lack of Bass (which is why it had a Sub output), but then, it was a £5K screen! ).

But, the big annoyance with the seprate amp/decoder is its "yet" another remote, "yet" another box to switch on/off serpeately to the TV, and the sky remote usually won't control it or change the volume..meaning you need to keep several remotes handy just to watch normal tv. (unless you buy a one4All remote, that guzzles batteries and nobody can use anyway).

Minor annoyances, but something one didn't get with the old CRT's with built in Dolby decoders.

I'm sure there is a proper integrated solution somewhere, but none seem to advertise what I would see as a major plus point from a usage point of view.

Last edited by Shark Man; 08 February 2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08 February 2008, 05:23 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
But, the big annoyance is its "yet" another remote, "yet" another box to switch on/off serpeately to the TV, and on alot the sky remote won't control it or change the volume..meaning you need to keep several remote handy just to watch normal tv.
As above, Logitech Harmony remote. You configure activities like "Watch Sky" and assign it to a single button. It turns on the Sky box, turns on the TV and puts it on AV1 (if not already) and turns on the AMP setting to SAT input. The controller will then happily provide all the Sky remote features.

Since we got ours all the other remotes have remained in the cupboard. All programmable from you PC and it will even learn from other remotes if it doesn't have the bit of kit in its database. Well worth £60.

Looks like the price has come down
Logitech Harmony 525 Universal Remote - TrustedReviews
Old 08 February 2008, 05:26 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Nah, the logitec remote is still a PITA, I'll stick to my HTPC's remote interface- that controls the lot. With exception of Sky, which will be addressed once I work out how to get a DVB-s card and CAM to work with sky.

Worth the £900

Last edited by Shark Man; 08 February 2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08 February 2008, 05:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

My AV receiver remote is programmable. It has a library of other devices which can be assigned using a 4 figure code, so the VCR button activates all the stuff for my JVC VCR. If a device isn't in the library it has an IR receiver as well as the transmitter and can learn other devices by putting them together and clicking each button in turn. I control most things with this and only get the proper remotes out occasionally.
Old 08 February 2008, 08:40 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Most current flat panel TV's will have analogue and/or digital audio outputs to send TV sound to an external amp/processor, so you can listen to your TV in surround. Some TV's may also feature pseudo-surround similar to your old set. A good set-up would be to have a TV, AV receiver (£200 or so gets a good one) and a combo DVD(R)/Freeview/HDD. All the necessary boxes ticked in 3 items. Add speakers (Richer Sounds ) and you'll have a good set-up.
This thing has the digital audio out, so I think I'll be shopping for an AV receiver (whetever the fu*k one of those is ). Any suggestions where I might find a good one at a reasonable price?
Old 08 February 2008, 09:15 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Richer Sounds AV Receivers Products

...or...

Richer Sounds 1 Box Home Cinema Systems Products
Old 08 February 2008, 09:27 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Old 08 February 2008, 09:38 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You don't come across as an audio snob, but stick with the better brands for AV electronics like Denon, Pioneer and Yamaha and you won't go far wrong. Try to get a decent set of main front speakers, such as Mission, Monitor Audio, B&W, Mordaunt Short or Kef. Floorstanders will remove the need for a sub, but if you need small speakers then sub/sat systems are good these days. The effects speakers don't carry a vast amount of sound so you can save on these a bit, although a good centre to keep dialogue clear and focussed is preferred, but they can be found cheap too. I got a decent Mission one for £30 from RS
Old 09 February 2008, 12:11 AM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Not at all an audio snob mate, but there's no way in hell I'm paying c£1000 for a TV and then missing out on 1/2 the experience I had no idea when I bought my last TV what a difference the sound would make, and I'm not going back to ****e audio. Having said that, I'll be buying something middle of the road.......Thanks for your advice
Old 09 February 2008, 09:17 AM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Stainy
Not at all an audio snob
You might consider something like this Yamaha then.

As you've already got a DVD player it is better than buying an all in one system and avoids the need for extra speakers everywhere. Not as good as a dedicated AV system, but a good compromise and probably much better than you have been used to.
Old 09 February 2008, 11:41 AM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

If you're interested in the Sony DAV IS10 all in one system shown on the Richer Sounds website at £499.95 it can be bought here for £349.00 plus £10.00 delivery - Total Digital - The Home of Audio Visual Entertainment

Geoff.
Old 09 February 2008, 12:58 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Ooooo decisions, decisions
Old 09 February 2008, 09:08 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Bought a cheap Yamaha from Richer sounds - the full experience is back

Now all I have to do it work out how to program my kameleon remote to switch everything
Old 09 February 2008, 09:10 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Good kid Now all you need to do is upset the neighbours Master & Commander, R1 DTS Directors Cut, scene 4