Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone lived/worked in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2008, 09:11 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone lived/worked in the US?

I've been offered the opportunity to spend a few years working at our offices in the US but having only been to the country on holiday a few times I've little concept of cost of living vs earnings, tax, housing, etc.

Has anybody made a similar move and can comment on the differences?
Old 29 January 2008, 09:12 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

It's a big place - whereabouts?
Old 29 January 2008, 09:13 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
It's a big place - whereabouts?
This is a very good point... Seattle
Old 29 January 2008, 09:18 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

IIRC, Seattle is the wettest place in the US. Not my cup of tea.
Old 29 January 2008, 09:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have got a week in Atlanta with work coming up, will be out there a couple of times a year I expect, that will do me. Colleague lived in Houseton for a year, he loved it but I think his missus didnt.
Old 29 January 2008, 09:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've worked and semi-lived in the US. We had an office in a small town about an hour away from St Louis, and I spent a couple of weeks every few months over there for a while. It wasn't too bad. People were friendly enough.

I've only been to Seattle once, for a couple of days (was working at a clients site in Bothell, about 45 - 60 mins north of Seattle). From what I saw it looked ok. Yes it's a tad damp, but hey, so is the UK.

I currently live in Canada, so whilst it's not the US, it is somewhat similar. House prices, well, much as you could get a bigger place in the UK if you moved from down south to up north, the same is true from moving to the UK to the US. £150,000 is roughly $300,000 and that'll probably get you a nice 3/4 bedroom semi or a detached, and full size basement. Aircon throughout probably too.

Taxation, hmm, not sure on that, I know that you have to file taxes yourself, unlike the UK where it's done for you. Company takes care of mine over here so I've not had to do that.
Old 29 January 2008, 11:00 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

I've had Kiwi mates live and work there, and they enjoyed it. Personally, I wouldn't want to work in the US, better places to work IMO. They have earthquakes in Seatle too.
Old 29 January 2008, 11:10 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I looked into rental prices in central Seattle on the net - about $1200 for a two bed apartment in the centre, so not so different from here (Edinburgh).

on the sites i loked at other Americans who had moved at were saying that Seattle-ites
werren't quite as friendly as they had hoped, but I suppose that's just part of moving to a new city. Brits seem to be pretty welcome for the most part.

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 29 January 2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 29 January 2008, 11:25 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Seattles nice

Very green, can get wet, but its a friendly place.
Generally you get more for $1 than you get for £1 in the respective countries (if that makes sense) and the cost of living is generally lower in the US, and standard of living is higher ( yes I know there are some exceptions!)
And the best bit is, you are about as far from the ****hole that is the uk as you can get before you hit the pacific

At least visit the place first to get a feeler for it... I thought it was ok.
Oh- and the vast majority of americans love the english... especially american girls..
Old 30 January 2008, 11:02 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Went to Seattle for a week last summer. Very green, very pleasant, esp after coming from California and Portugal. So it rains - you're coming from UK ffs!

You're also not far from Vancouver (rated best place to live several times) and Whistler ski resort.
Old 30 January 2008, 12:30 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Markus;7609322]well, much as you could get a bigger place in the UK if you QUOTE]

Is that still the case, I am not so sure, anywhere decent is pretty expensive anywhere in the UK.
Old 30 January 2008, 12:32 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

You're also not far from Vancouver (rated best place to live several times) and Whistler ski resort.
Which host the winter olympics in 2010.
Old 30 January 2008, 12:33 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak

At least visit the place first to get a feeler for it... I thought it was ok.
Oh- and the vast majority of americans love the english... especially american girls..
Is that because of the fact we tag along with their wars, or is there more to it than that ?
Old 30 January 2008, 01:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Is that still the case, I am not so sure, anywhere decent is pretty expensive anywhere in the UK.
I could be wrong, as I've been out of the UK since 2003. I know that £179,000 will get you a 2 bedroom semi, needing a lot of work doing to it in Tunrbridge Wells, so when finished could be anywhere between the purchase price and up to, maybe £230k.

As for other places in the UK, somewhere around Lincolnshire was meant to be pretty reasonable, the price above could get you a 3 - 4 bedroom semi/fully detached place, which, apart from lacking a full basement, would be on a par with what you'd pay for a place over here when the pounds are converted to dollars.

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Is that because of the fact we tag along with their wars, or is there more to it than that ?
Very funny I think they like it because it is different from the everyday voices they hear. It's speaking, for the most part, the same language, but with a non north-american twang to it.
Old 30 January 2008, 01:16 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus

Very funny I think they like it because it is different from the everyday voices they hear. It's speaking, for the most part, the same language, but with a non north-american twang to it.

Was playing Devil's Advocate there a bit Markus. Have been in the States 5 times as I have cousins over there - which is good cos I get to stay with my cousin and booze with the locals. also, did a tour of California, Nevada etc for a couple of months two years ago.

Have always found the folks to be very friendly, even if they do keep asking if I'm Irish (one even thought I was German ! ). Very welcoming lot - wonder if they are like that with one another ?

AndytJ
Old 30 January 2008, 02:04 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx

No...they just love the accent
In california for some reason they initially tend to thing english are australian tho but that doesnt happen in NY
Old 30 January 2008, 03:14 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Yeah, the Irish/Australian thing does happen with me from time to time. Usually if you have a regional accent then you'll get it more than if you have a plummy southern type accent, like wot I has, as the plummy sounding accent is what most would consider an English accent.
Old 30 January 2008, 03:57 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Texas is cheap - a bit hot and dry but hey ho, I went to Austin and thats an awesome place, great nightlife and restaurants. House prices are amazing, expect to get a 4-5 bed detached house with a double garage for 150k

dont believe me? check realtor and type in 'Round Rock'

Seem to have a great quality of life over there but..............

We have an American who lives here and works for us, shes from NY state and she tells me she hates the place and woudl not go back for all the tea in China.

Funny from a different perspective