Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Home gyms do they work

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2008, 05:59 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home gyms do they work

I have joined a few gyms and lasted a few months at each and then have giving up for different reasons money and driving to far to them etc. I have got a exercise bike at home and have just purchased a 50kg of weights and a bench. my idea was to use the spare room or garage as a gym as i think i would use this more does any one else do this is a good idea.

What other equipment would you buy. I was thinking of one of those ***** and maybe a punch bag

thanks
Old 06 January 2008, 06:05 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

We use our cellar as a gym. In it is, Exercise Bike, Rowing Machine, Treadmill, Stepper, Jogger Trampoline, Bench and Weights and a few of those daft things for helping the tummy muscles. Oh and an Exercise Ball and Sunbed.

Now, what do you think I prefer to use
Old 06 January 2008, 06:41 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

at my home i have an elliptical trainer (on landing), a rowing machine (in built in wardrobe) a bench, weights, exercise ball, mat, medicine ball, exercise bands, a pull up bar.
i also have which i don't use ... a treadmill, and a
chest expander.. bull...something

i haven't used the rowing machine for quite a while cos it really drains my life force,

the bike you got is good for cardio,
i reckon you need an exercise ball. (its underrated )i reckon it goes well with the bench and weights. maybe a mat
Old 06 January 2008, 06:42 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You've already displayed a lack of commitment with your previous history, and at home when there's distractions like the telly, 'net, wife etc the garage might be a bit cold one day, you might just feel a little tired or under the weather. Whatever the reason, you will drift quickly out of any routine, probably before it's even established. A gym partner can be good as you feel obliged and don't want to let them down, but in the past every gym partner I've had has drifted away within a few weeks 'cos there's a match on, their g/f wants to go shopping, they're working etc etc.

Dig deep and find some commitment, or come back on here in 3 months and place a classified ad for some hardly used weights
Old 06 January 2008, 07:10 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

I have a very good one at home, then use a personal trainer now and then..works a treat.
Old 06 January 2008, 07:13 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
We use our cellar as a gym. In it is, Exercise Bike, Rowing Machine, Treadmill, Stepper, Jogger Trampoline, Bench and Weights and a few of those daft things for helping the tummy muscles. Oh and an Exercise Ball and Sunbed.

Now, what do you think I prefer to use
Sunbed?
Old 06 January 2008, 07:46 PM
monotokpoint
Scooby Regular

I now have a personal trainer twice a week. Its the only way I could keep myself commited. It seems to have worked, plus has the benefit of learning new excercises and pushing you that bit further than you normally might go
Old 06 January 2008, 08:10 PM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

Iv trained at various gyms and had the home stuff to.

found there were too many distractions @ home.

Get you self a good training partner and go to a proper gym.

That way because you have to pay and make the effort to go you wont slack of when you get there.
Old 06 January 2008, 10:46 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoboy
You've already displayed a lack of commitment with your previous history, and at home when there's distractions like the telly, 'net, wife etc the garage might be a bit cold one day, you might just feel a little tired or under the weather. Whatever the reason, you will drift quickly out of any routine, probably before it's even established. A gym partner can be good as you feel obliged and don't want to let them down, but in the past every gym partner I've had has drifted away within a few weeks 'cos there's a match on, their g/f wants to go shopping, they're working etc etc.

Dig deep and find some commitment, or come back on here in 3 months and place a classified ad for some hardly used weights
You may be speaking for yourself there m8

My home gym is in the garage and I train in there at least 3 times per week, more if I can. Weights/bench/rowing machine/x-trainer/punchbag.

Warm up, rowing machine for 20 mins then some weights (depending on day of week either tone or shock) then karate exercises and stretch. Generally at least an hour schedule permitting - on a "quickie" its 20 mins rowing only but if I've got the time then there's another 15 mins cardio at the end.

I find myself getting annoyed at myself/others if for some reason I can't do any training.

Be doing that for the last 18 months
Old 06 January 2008, 10:57 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Then you are obviously very committed Puff, but the OP has already said he has faltered before. I spoke from my own experience based on his description. In the past I have remained dedicated whilst watching mates fade off after a few months. I know I couldn't do it at home though, similar to working at home, there simply too many distractions.
Old 06 January 2008, 11:18 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Check this out - has to be the best home gym i've seen, you can also get lat pulldown and low pulley attachment for this as well....

The Jones "Not just another smith machine™"
Old 07 January 2008, 08:41 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I disagree. I dont have time for the Gym or trainer.. I spend 40 minutes a day weight training, started a few months ago to get fit, they began my "body building" stage 3 weeks ago. Have lost two inches from my stomach and gained an inch on my chest.

Now I'm at my ideal weight and look good naked I now start the intense bit of eating all the stuff I basically cut out my diet for the last few months.

I started at 13 stone and now weight 11.6 have had no help other than the internet!

The trick I've found is mirrors. Have a mirror in the light and one in kinda a reduced light.

The reduced light after you've worked out, will show the muscle more and the full light before you work out will show less muscle.. thus makes you try harder!

I'm no expert but its working for me !
Old 07 January 2008, 09:09 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vallumlj
I have joined a few gyms and lasted a few months at each and then have giving up for different reasons money and driving to far to them etc. I have got a exercise bike at home and have just purchased a 50kg of weights and a bench. my idea was to use the spare room or garage as a gym as i think i would use this more does any one else do this is a good idea.

What other equipment would you buy. I was thinking of one of those ***** and maybe a punch bag

thanks
Ive done the same as you previously joined gyms and then faltered, due to working long hours, driving 30 miles in traffic and then driving to the gym etc etc.

I have converted my garage now to a basic gym, I have a treadmill, x trainer, weight bench and 110kg of weights.
My next purchase will probably be a punchbag so I can give the mrs a break

I have been doing this now since about june time, and find it is easier doing it at home than popping out to the gym. I am still doing it now. I dont know what kind of build you are but you may find that 50kg will not last you too long on certain exercises etc.
Old 07 January 2008, 09:45 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

IME its all about having someone to go with, been training on and off for 10 years and I always do better when I have someone to go with - as an example at my last job we had a gym on site and my and a few other guys would go every day - I would sometimes forget or not feel like it but they would be over at my desk dragging me away from my work, which was a good thing and I got a lot more out of the training and vice versa.
Old 07 January 2008, 10:53 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by monotokpoint
I now have a personal trainer twice a week. Its the only way I could keep myself commited. It seems to have worked, plus has the benefit of learning new excercises and pushing you that bit further than you normally might go
Yep agree with that. I now have a once a week personal training session at my gym. I work much much harder than I ever do on my own and the guy varies it alot so I dont get bored. I only make it to the gym once a week but I have been steadily losing weight for the last six months and now on the verge of 40 I am in the best shape and the fittest Ive been for probably 12+ years now.
Old 07 January 2008, 10:55 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
............. there's another 15 mins cardio at the end.
Easy puffer. If you got the energy for 15mins cardio at the end then you aint working hard enough...... step it up a couple of notches, its easy to drop into a plateau, always aim for your physical peak, always look to improve!
Old 07 January 2008, 12:51 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I am totally different to most of you then - i dont have a training partner period - although i hit the gym with a work buddy butr once inside he goes off and does his own thing.

Sometimes i need a kick up the a*** to get there especially on a cold wet tuesday night, but i swear once i hit the first weight bang i'm away, i dont speak to anybody or **** about chatting, i probably come across as either very aggressive or a right miserable git, but i'm not interested in idle chit chat at the gym i go to work out get it over with and bugger off home. I'll do my workout and have a protein drink at the end with my buddy - then i can relax.

I dont know about anyone else on here but i cant stand real upmarket gyms, nowt wrong with the actual gyms but too many posers and people standing around chatting about bugger all.

I like real hard work raw gyms - in fact the toilet at mine resembles the one in trainspotting

Anyway back on topic i'm very tempted with the idea of a home gym that i posted above, BBigman (whos not posted on here for as bit) has a superb home gym, it aint done him any harm i.e. he's friggin huge!

I did a post a while back and everyone posted there home gym pics - some nice ones out there.
Old 07 January 2008, 12:54 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Here we go.

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...-gym-pics.html
Old 07 January 2008, 01:35 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Mr. Chief on this - just leave me with my iPod and the treadmill or bike for an hour and I'm happy.

And to everybody that's just joined a gym due to new years resolution? Think of that warm sofa at home in front of the telly. Give into it, it's easy. Leave the gym alone so that you don't spend ages blocking the machines!
Old 07 January 2008, 01:35 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by POC
Easy puffer. If you got the energy for 15mins cardio at the end then you aint working hard enough...... step it up a couple of notches, its easy to drop into a plateau, always aim for your physical peak, always look to improve!
i disagree unless youve been doing legs!
Old 07 January 2008, 01:37 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
And to everybody that's just joined a gym due to new years resolution? Think of that warm sofa at home in front of the telly. Give into it, it's easy. Leave the gym alone so that you don't spend ages blocking the machines!
Old 07 January 2008, 02:05 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I've been a member of a Gym for years. Hardly went last year and really need to start going back.

When I get a house (in a few years time) I plan to ditch the Gym and get a tredmill, rowing machine and weight machine put in a spare room. Currently in flats and they would be too noisy for my neighbours.

It's just too much of a chore getting ready to go to the gym. Much easier to just throw a pair of shorts on and go for a 10 minute run or a 10 minute row in the spare room.
Old 07 January 2008, 02:15 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover

It's just too much of a chore getting ready to go to the gym. Much easier to just throw a pair of shorts on and go for a 10 minute run or a 10 minute row in the spare room.

I hate cardio at the gym - no matter what just cant get into it, i just do weights at the gym, couple of nights a week i'll do a brisk walk and do a few miles in the country at a weekend - blows the cobwebs away (especially at this time of year)