Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Contrast with today!

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2008, 03:14 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contrast with today!

We have a 1936 Derby Bentley in for head overhaul.
I quote from the official workshop manual.
"Rolls Royce Motors discourage the use of torque spanners"
"It is considered that the only reliable and satisfactory method of tightening down the cylinder head is under the control of a skilled fitter using a box spanner with a fixed length of tommy bar centrally placed in the spanner. The recommended length of the bar is six inches, and the nuts should be tightened by experienced "feel" until they are as tight as is wise having regard to the elasticity of the studs."
"Experience has shown that nuts tightened "properly" by fitters at Rolls Royce
were no more than "comfortably" tight."
"There may be those who feel that they require the use of a torque spanner, and those that have resorted to such items suggest a figure of 15 ft lbs.

We take the above to mean that RR consider anyone with a torque wrench is a low life beneath contempt!

As a matter of interest the owner rallies the car. I don't mean short events like the RAC, but literally all over the World, across Africa, South America, the Himalayas you name it. The last time the head was off was in the middle of the Namib desert with a Camel in attendance!
Old 05 January 2008, 03:20 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

We had a 1934 Bentley 3.5 Litre as one of our wedding cars. What a beautiful car!

We also had a 1935 Rolls Royce 20/25 Sports Limousine as the main car.

No tacky stretched limos for us
Old 05 January 2008, 03:45 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typical RR/Bentley, like the power outputs of "Sufficient" and "Adequate", I am surprised they actually quote a list price, I expect such beastly matters as money are there for your 'people' to deal with.
Old 05 January 2008, 06:19 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Gosh, yes old boy.
"Money" hasn't been mentioned at all yet in this particular transaction!
Old 05 January 2008, 06:50 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Gosh, yes old boy.
"Money" hasn't been mentioned at all yet in this particular transaction!
Reminds me of our business relationship, Alan.
Old 06 January 2008, 12:07 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

James! it's been too long...
Old 06 January 2008, 12:10 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bit of a change from the clapped out rice boxes hobbling around plympton
Old 06 January 2008, 12:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
We have a 1936 Derby Bentley in for head overhaul.
I quote from the official workshop manual.
"Rolls Royce Motors discourage the use of torque spanners"
"It is considered that the only reliable and satisfactory method of tightening down the cylinder head is under the control of a skilled fitter using a box spanner with a fixed length of tommy bar centrally placed in the spanner. The recommended length of the bar is six inches, and the nuts should be tightened by experienced "feel" until they are as tight as is wise having regard to the elasticity of the studs."
"Experience has shown that nuts tightened "properly" by fitters at Rolls Royce
were no more than "comfortably" tight."
"There may be those who feel that they require the use of a torque spanner, and those that have resorted to such items suggest a figure of 15 ft lbs.

We take the above to mean that RR consider anyone with a torque wrench is a low life beneath contempt!

As a matter of interest the owner rallies the car. I don't mean short events like the RAC, but literally all over the World, across Africa, South America, the Himalayas you name it. The last time the head was off was in the middle of the Namib desert with a Camel in attendance!
I doubt very much that RR have that sort of an attitude towards those using a torque wrench.

What they say about sensing the elasticity of the the studs or of a bolt when tightening it is pretty accurate. As an experienced mechanic I know exactly what they mean and I have found that method of feel works very well when tightening up the smaller size of bolt etc. I bet there are some blokes on here who can confirm this.

I will however use a torque wrench when tightening important things like con rod bolts and cylinder head bolts as much as anything to ensure even pressure all round.

15 ft/pounds seem a bit light for a cylinder head but then I do not know the diameter of the Bentley cylinder head bolts. I have noticed too that those who have had a formal engineering training do tend to use a lower tightening force than would be used by an experienced practical mechanic. I had a friend who was formally trained who when he helped me work on my racer always had to be followed around to ensure the nuts and bolts were tight enough!

Les